Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 06:14 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I think I read somewhere that Billy Corgan will induct them. I can't stand him, but I guess that choice makes at least a little bit of sense since he was in the Rush documentary.
Thanks for the responses. Taylor Hawkins was also in the documentary. Too bad Jack Black isn't doing the honors.

Looks like the Foo Fighters have it: Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins to Induct Rush Into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame | Music News | Rolling Stone

Nancy and Ann Wilson were quoted as saying how happy they were for Rush. Nancy said if all the those being introduced play Rush songs together she thoughts MONTHS of practice were need to master their music

Three songs I think they will play NEXT MONTH (April 18th) and I tried to pick from different tours so everyone can hear the same music despite the year and see Neil's various drum kits

Rush- The Spirit of Radio (Live) - YouTube - - I've always liked this flick as they look like they are having sooooooooooooo much fun.

RUSH - Subdivisions - Live In Holland - HD - YouTube - - a song that helped Rush gain a certain group of fans while others departed. Nonetheless, a favorite for airplay.

Rush - "Limelight" Time Machine Tour 2011: Live In Cleveland [OFFICIAL] - YouTube - -

and ALWAYS "Limelight" has to come from a Cleveland show for me, as it was Donna Halprin in Cleveland that put them on the air first in the U.S. ultimately creating the situation for which Neil penned these lyrics. And, of course, it has been the RRHOF in Cleveland that refused to give them the honor which they deserved. Thank goodness for loyal fans and Eddie Trumps rants!

Limelight couldn't be a more appropriate song for them to play, IMHO.

What do all of you think they will play?

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 10:25 PM

Thanks Ditch! Yes, I do see Tom Sawyer as one of the songs. I was trying to be a "good C-D member" and only post 3 songs/post.

Sorry - and I love your comments, Ditch.

Does anyone know how many of their own songs they play at the induction?

Also, if you were to team up Heart and Rush, or Heart, Rush and Randy Newman were to play 3 songs together, and one had to be penned by each of the three artists, what would be your pick of songs for Heart, Rush and Randy Newman to perform together?

First, for damage control on my part, (sorry again Dithc), Tom Sawyer is such a major AOR song it must be played. The question is should Rush perform it alone or should Heart and/or Randy Newman participate?

Rush - Tom Sawyer - YouTube

One of my favorite performances of "Alone" by Heart.......

Heart - Alone - YouTube

Could Rush play this? Ain't no way Neil can share drums with anyone. What about Geddy and the Wilson Sister's voices together? And would Nancy let Randy Newman play the piano while she gave Alex a quick peck on the cheek? This is the first song I think of when I think of a song at least Heart, Rush and Randy Newman could perform together.

Or, would Randy Newman's "You've Got a Friend in Me," performed by all (just don't let Neil onstage - or limit the drum kit to a 1snarem 1 single kick drum and one cymbal) LOL...

You've Got A Friend In Me - YouTube

But what about a Rush song..... I don't think something from 2112 will work. If pairing with Heart, the most obvious one to me is, "Time Stand Still."

RUSH - LA VILLA STRANGIATO CLEVELAND TIME MACHINE TOUR 2011 - YouTube = = = Ha, ha, I faked you out with what I posted Could other musicians even attempt this -probably Nancy Wilson.

Besides "Time Stand Still," I think Heart, Rush and Randy Newman could play together on these Rush Songs: Limelight, Vital Signs, Camera Eye, Witch Hunt, Time Stand Still and others. What may be very interesting is to have some of their newest music, like "The Garden," which has a backing strings section and could easily be complimented by the Talents of Heart and Randy Newman performing with them.

I guess this could be a candidate too:
Rush - Closer to the Heart [HD] LIVE - YouTube

Might have to change the lyrics to, "Those who hold high places," instead of "The men who hold high places," if Ann Wilson is singing along or solo.

What do you think about material for these 3 artists to play together? I can't stand the thought of some others going performing with them. And like others have posted elsewhere, what happened to Deep Purple? Somewhere around Feb. their names just kind of disappeared from the list after they'd been named as inductees in Dec.

Looking forward to some GREAT answers by GREAT posters

MSR

Old 03-21-2013, 05:04 PM

11,253 posts, read 11,028,294 times
I would love to see The Pass performed by all three, but that may be a little too deep of a song for an award ceremony. I like the idea of Time Stand Still..... A very beautiful song. It will be interesting for sure.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 PM

I like the idea of Time Stand Still as I think it could be even more powerful having the Wilson sisters singing Aimee Mann's part and harmony, I think it is a song that appeals to many and I think Randy Newman could do keyboards.

There is another reason I'd opt for mostly Rush songs in combined performances with Heart. The Wilson sisters were emphatic that not everyone from their original band should be there with them. Their first answer was "absolutely not!" They wanted to be induced with their current band only. Kind of like Deep Purple just disappearing from the list, after they were named in Dec., suddenly somewhere in Feb. or so, news about Heart's induction now says ALL band members, past and present, will be inducted.

Given the strong feelings I saw and heard when I watched the Wilson sisters comment about their old flames being included, I think THEY would be more comfortable as the two sisters complimenting Rush in a combined performance.

I was trying to find how many songs each band performs when inducted. I think there will be at least one song with Taylor Hawkins and Dave Grohl. Maybe Neil will let Taylor have a snare and a cymbal

The RRHOF already has their bio done. What "crap" at the end. Read it and see what you think.

I do have to give the RRHOF one plus in what they wrote. I think it is very, very important that the hiatus happened due to the deaths of Selena and Jackie. And I'm glad that part of the band's history is included too as they could have stopped at that point. IMHO, I think Neil writes stronger lyrics now as the survivor and getting a second chance with his second wife and little daughter, Olivia. If people can't figure out what true friends do to support each other, having watched or heard about the actions of Geddy and Alex refusing to do anything Rush without Neil, I have limited hope for those people to have insight into their own lives.

From the RRHOF: Rush Biography | The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum

You'll understand why I posted this after you read the above (and check the tour too as there is double meaning in this selection)

Rush - New World Man ( Grace Under Pressure ) - YouTube

MSR

Old 03-23-2013, 11:06 PM

100 posts, read 161,344 times
Hey everyone, I'm excited to see a thread dedicated to Rush.

I will admit I don't really know any of their new stuff. By new I mean 1995 and later. I hear the songs at their concerts though.

I think the song that touches me most is Red Barchetta. Moving Pictures was my very 1st Rush album. While I respect Tom Sawyer, it lost its appeal for me a long time ago thanks to being wayyy oveplayed.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catscan1969 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm excited to see a thread dedicated to Rush.

I will admit I don't really know any of their new stuff. By new I mean 1995 and later. I hear the songs at their concerts though.

I think the song that touches me most is Red Barchetta. Moving Pictures was my very 1st Rush album. While I respect Tom Sawyer, it lost its appeal for me a long time ago thanks to being wayyy oveplayed.
Welcome catsca1969! Since I invited you to come and post in this thread it's time I welcomed you.

Post what music you like from RUSH. If you look back over the pages, there is a wealth of history and information about the band and all sorts of songs posted.

So Neil got you with the song about his uncle's car, huh. I think many people came onboard to Rush with Moving Pictures - that was my first album too. I agree Tom Sawyer gets overplayed. It's just trying to figure out which songs are their most defining, the fact T.S. is soooooo overplayed meant AOR, at least, welcomed it to their line up.

Let's give you a couple of their newer songs with titles so you'll know what they are when you hear them again

I really like the message of Far Cry.

"It's a far cry from the world we thought we'd inherit
It's a far cry from the way we thought we'd share it
You can almost feel the current flowing
You can almost see the circuits blowing"

"One day I feel I'm on top of the world
And the next it's falling in on me

I can get back on"

"Far Cry" Rush live, United Center, Chicago, IL 9/15/2012 - YouTube

Rush Clockwork Angels Tour- "YYZ" *w/ String Section* (720p HD) Live, Columbus on Sept 20, 2012 - YouTube

MSR

Old 03-26-2013, 09:43 AM

11,253 posts, read 11,028,294 times
[quote=Mtn. States Resident;28822690]
Quote:
Welcome catsca1969! Since I invited you to come and post in this thread it's time I welcomed you.
MSR, thanx for sending people this way!

Quote:
I really like the message of Far Cry.
Neil puts an incredible ammount of time and thought into the lyrics. After spending a lot of quality time getting used to the Clockwork Angels album, I've actually decided I like Snakes and Arrows more as a whole album. While The Garden, The Wreckers, and The Anarchist are all rediculously awesome tracks (and bound to be part of any Rush greatest hits collection), I like the overall flow of S&A more.

This one is my most likely favorite off of S&A because I really feel the lyrics (although Bravest Face is very close to my heart as well). There is just so much emotion.

Rush Armor and Sword Snakes and Arrows - YouTube

"The snakes and arrows a child is heir to
Are enough to leave a thousand cuts
We build our defenses, a place of safety
And leave the darker places unexplored"

"No one gets to their heaven without a fight"

-ditch-

Old 03-26-2013, 08:28 PM

25 posts, read 56,781 times
What a band what a thread! I've got some reading to do here. Yeah!
My top 3 real quick
Where's my thing? ( playing it at my wedding!)
Time Stand Still
Limelight
I like the new stuff too it just haven't sunk into an old head of cement yet...but they all will.
Thx C39

Old 03-26-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach39 View Post
What a band what a thread! I've got some reading to do here. Yeah!
My top 3 real quick
Where's my thing? ( playing it at my wedding!)
Time Stand Still
Limelight
I like the new stuff too it just haven't sunk into an old head of cement yet...but they all will.
Thx C39
Welcome aboard, C39. It's always fun to have others join us here and post their favorite info or songs about Rush.

I've got to admit I haven't heard, "Where's my thing?" - and will have to check it out.

There are lots of sub-discussions going on here. Everyone is always welcome to post their favorite songs with some of their favorite performances.

It's a bit different trying to figure out what songs will be played at their induction to the RRHOF ceremony as I think they have to be songs that really influenced other musicians, changed their audience (increasing the number of fans) and what they consider to be their most influential songs overall. But, I could be wrong. I can't find the criteria and if anyone can, please post it.

I read one comment somewhere that said if Rush picked the "wrong 3 songs," everyone could be their 40+ min. listening to 3 songs.

Ditch and I agree on so many songs, and I too, am a huge fan of Snakes and Arrows, although I wouldn't listen to it for a year.... I was pleasantly surprised when I actually watched the DVD first.

One of the real problems I think Rush faces in selecting their songs (unless the RRHOF "guides" them in what they will play), is Neil does spend a tremendous amount of time on lyrics with deep meaning on all songs with vocals. They don't do, "A doo wap, a doo hop" type of song. Everything has meaning, so in that sense there are probably dozens of songs that could be picked.

That being said, I did read about 18 months ago that one factor the RRHOF Directors give in considering which groups/individuals to induct is who can fill the seats. It's a $-generating event for them. Given that constraint, some of the songs true fans think were and are pivotal in their career may not be the main songs the RRHOF wants.

I was thinking they should also play "Working Man." Love the Double Meaning in that one - both that it broke through to the U.S. in Cleveland and that this year's awards are in L.A. but the songs played will still be in the RRHOF in Cleveland.

Post away of your favorite 3 Rush songs, anything about Rush, any Rush song and/or thoughts and songs which should be included in the RRHOF ceremony.

To honor C39:

Rush - Where's My Thing? 12-12-1991 - YouTube

To honor catscan1969: (TY for the note. Let us know in your next post what you want us to call you here

Rush - Red Barchetta - YouTube

and because this thread exists because of you, Ditch -

Rush: The Pass (Rush in Rio) - YouTube

"And now you're trembling on a rocky ledge
Staring down into a heartless sea
Can't face life on a razor's edge
Nothing's what you thought it would be"

"All of us get lost in the darkness
Dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter
Dreamers turn to look at the stars
Turn around and turn around and turn around
Turn around and walk the razor's edge
Don't turn your back
And slam the door on me"

Rush~roll the bones - YouTube

I'm quite certain "Roll the Bones" will NOT be included given how it was something they were playing around doing one day mocking rappers.

Enjoy Rush Fans

MSR

Old 03-31-2013, 11:56 AM

100 posts, read 161,344 times
I'm loving this thread, thanks for sharing all the vids.

We all know Neil is the best drummer ever and that no one even comes close.

Who's your 2nd (or 3rd) favorite drummer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music