Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 04:17 PM

10 posts, read 57,399 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear opinions from people who have lived in both areas, or any other opinions are welcome. I had a choice of moving to Seattle or Nashville. There are two things I need to consider:
1. Job market. I am in the business field (finance, marketing). I know there are more jobs in Seattle but there are also more competitions there. With a decent degree and few years of experience, which city would have a better prospect of jobs?
2. Dating scene. As a 30 year old single women, I am looking for something serious. I like that both cities have great music scene and night life. However, I have had enough 'just have fun and hang out'. I am looking for a place easy to make friends and meeting serious normal guy. I also have to consider the factor of people's open-mindness since I belong to the minority group (I am neither white nor black).
Any stories? I would love to hear from you :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 09:43 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,996 times
Come on down. You'll find that the job and meat markets are much better here than in Seattle. Do you really want to spend the rest of your life dating dirty hippie bums that spend their days hanging out in coffee shops or playing grunge music in their parents' garages?

Old 08-30-2010, 07:53 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,462 times
The job market is so-so. You'll find something, but it may not be what you ultimately want.
Male to female ratio is much higher, so you'll have plenty. However, Nashville is low on marriage/high on divorce rate.
Very liberal city, race isn't really an issue.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:31 AM

286 posts, read 699,398 times
1) The job markets in both cities are equally bad. There is more competition in Seattle, but there is more opportunity as well. Seattle is a city where you could potentially move without a job. If you moved to Nashville and couldn’t immediately find a job, then it would be fairly rough going for a while. OTOH, Nashville is a very cheap place to live.

2) The dating scene in Nashville is abysmal—especially for minorities. Nashville’s nightlife consists mainly of divebars or college bars. There are places that have an upscale, relaxed atmosphere, but I could count them on one hand. Nashville is weird in that it doesn’t have a professional dating scene.

Race relations are fairly shoddy down here, and the city is socially segregated.

The guys you will meet in the two cities will be very different. In Seattle, you will meet guys who are career-driven but tend to be aloof and/or nerdy. In Nashville, you generally won’t meet guys who are career-driven. They might be slightly more outgoing, but will still be socially conservative and have a ton of hang-ups. The girls I know who aren’t into the “ex-SEC-frat-guys-turned-mortgage-brokers" end up having a lot of battery-powered dates. Maybe you will have better luck.

The weather in both areas is miserable.

All in all, it sounds like Seattle would be a much better fit for you.

Last edited by mcredux; 08-30-2010 at 09:54 AM..

Old 08-30-2010, 10:50 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcredux View Post
2) The dating scene in Nashville is abysmal—especially for minorities. Nashville’s nightlife consists mainly of divebars or college bars. There are places that have an upscale, relaxed atmosphere, but I could count them on one hand. Nashville is weird in that it doesn’t have a professional dating scene.
Just because you aren't scoring doesn't mean the dating scene is bad for everyone. I don't have any complaints. There are well over a million people in the Nashville MSA. Do you seriously think this woman will have trouble finding dates, assuming she actually has something to bring to the table?

Old 08-30-2010, 11:32 AM

286 posts, read 699,398 times
^

*Yawn*

Hendersonville girls with bedazzled t-shirts and butts so big you have to take them home in a wheel-barrow are nothing to brag about.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcredux View Post
The guys you will meet in the two cities will be very different. In Seattle, you will meet guys who are career-driven but tend to be aloof and/or nerdy. In Nashville, you generally won’t meet guys who are career-driven. They might be slightly more outgoing, but will still be socially conservative and have a ton of hang-ups. The girls I know who aren’t into the “ex-SEC-frat-guys-turned-mortgage-brokers" end up having a lot of battery-powered dates. Maybe you will have better luck.

The weather in both areas is miserable.

All in all, it sounds like Seattle would be a much better fit for you.
Thanks Mcredux. Very good information. I actually know exactly what you were talking about as “ex-SEC-frat-guys-turned-mortgage-brokers". I have lived in TN for several years before, just not in the metropolitan area and I have met many guys like that.

I think what I am looking for is a place where I can meet 30 something career-driven family oriented guy. Does career driven and family oriented sound like they contradict each other? At least I myself have both qualities.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 10,236 times
Lightbulb Any city would be a good city compared to Seattle!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaswan View Post
I would like to hear opinions from people who have lived in both areas, or any other opinions are welcome. I had a choice of moving to Seattle or Nashville. There are two things I need to consider:
1. Job market. I am in the business field (finance, marketing). I know there are more jobs in Seattle but there are also more competitions there. With a decent degree and few years of experience, which city would have a better prospect of jobs?
2. Dating scene. As a 30 year old single women, I am looking for something serious. I like that both cities have great music scene and night life. However, I have had enough 'just have fun and hang out'. I am looking for a place easy to make friends and meeting serious normal guy. I also have to consider the factor of people's open-mindness since I belong to the minority group (I am neither white nor black).
Any stories? I would love to hear from you :-)
1. Any city would be a good city compared to Seattle!!!

Old 09-02-2010, 01:20 PM

24 posts, read 69,612 times
I used to live in Seattle, but met my wife in Eugene, Oregon. So I've never dated in Nashville, and don't know anything about the dating scene here. That being said, people here are pretty different. Pimpy's comment summed it up nicely: here, your date might be interested in what you have to bring to the table, while in the Northwest, your date will be more interested in who you are. Table talk down here: Jesus and sports. Table talk there: poetry and travel.
Also: no experience in the job market here. The missus and I both had jobs lined up before we came (Vanderbilt faculty). However, if we had to do it again, we would have turned down Vanderbilt and stayed in the Northwest in our grimy little coffee shops. Good luck!

Old 09-03-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblight View Post
I used to live in Seattle, but met my wife in Eugene, Oregon. So I've never dated in Nashville, and don't know anything about the dating scene here. That being said, people here are pretty different. Pimpy's comment summed it up nicely: here, your date might be interested in what you have to bring to the table, while in the Northwest, your date will be more interested in who you are. Table talk down here: Jesus and sports. Table talk there: poetry and travel.
Thanks. I would definitely pick "poetry and travel" over "Jesus and sports"! There is nothing wrong about being practical, but it all comes to what makes you happy. Apparently big house and fancy cars make some people happy, but for some other people they need things beyond that. On the other hand, maybe people in the northwest are more well-off so they can care less about material things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville