Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2011, 07:11 PM

7 posts, read 25,068 times

Advertisements

My husbands job is relocating us to Nashville from Memphis.
We are looking for a small town feel with rural properties and decent schools that will not be to long of a commute for my husband to work. His office will be located on the NW side of the city, near Briley Pkwy and Ashland City Hwy.

I've been doing some research and liked what I saw about Springfield. Seems like a nice little town, but I know the internet can be misleading.

I have heard that Sumner County Schools are good, but what about Robertson County Schools? The Springfield High School website made the school seem nice and mostly white. (Not to sound racial, but coming from Memphis where alot of the schools are majority black, I would like to find majority white schools)

Ideally we are looking for a small town with the neccesaties fairly close (such as walmart), low crime, friendly neighbors, aprox. 1-1.5 hours to major resteraunts and shopping, and affordable yet nice properties. My husband loves to hunt and is looking for wooded acreage where we can build my (oops i mean "OUR" heehee) dream home and still have room to "play".

Our price range for land would be up to 80-90k for a minimun of 6-10 acres. Right now, I'm just trying to narrow down the areas we would be intrested in before searching for actual properties.

Any info on the towns in this area or any others you may suggest would be helpful! THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 08:14 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordressler View Post
I have heard that Sumner County Schools are good, but what about Robertson County Schools? The Springfield High School website made the school seem nice and mostly white. (Not to sound racial, but coming from Memphis where alot of the schools are majority black, I would like to find majority white schools)
Robertson County schools aren't nearly as good as Sumner's. Springfield High got decent ratings on greatschools.org. And yes, most of the schools in Robertson County will be heavily white...as that is the primary demographic.

Quote:
Ideally we are looking for a small town with the neccesaties fairly close (such as walmart), low crime, friendly neighbors, aprox. 1-1.5 hours to major resteraunts and shopping, and affordable yet nice properties. My husband loves to hunt and is looking for wooded acreage where we can build my (oops i mean "OUR" heehee) dream home and still have room to "play".
Springfield would definitely fit there. They have a Walmart Superstore...lots of other shopping too. Major shopping is probably 35 to 45 minutes away in Rivergate. Springfield is about an hour to Nashville. You'll find plenty of hunters and acreage for hunting there too.

Quote:
Our price range for land would be up to 80-90k for a minimun of 6-10 acres. Right now, I'm just trying to narrow down the areas we would be intrested in before searching for actual properties.

Any info on the towns in this area or any others you may suggest would be helpful! THANKS!!!
I don't know about the budget...not sure what raw land is priced at up there. You might also check around Greenbrier, out around Betts Rd. I'd also look towards Coopertown...that will be more rural and further out from Sprinfield, but also closer to Ashland City Hwy.

I'd definitely also look in Cheatham County too.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:44 PM

215 posts, read 681,701 times
lordressler I would go for Hendersonville first it's got all of what you want and I found a property that's 7.21 acres/314,503 sf with most of what you want at a very good price of $69,950 at 28 New Hope Rd Hendersonville,TN 37075 so you will want to look at that first.

Last edited by goodman2; 01-27-2011 at 10:07 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 PM

182 posts, read 448,780 times
Default Compared to Nashville all these are good cities.

Springfield and Gallatin are similar in size and have a diverse socio-economic community. You will see near poverty to affluent. Both cities are the county seat respectively. Each of these cities are going to have a higher minority population than White House and Pleasant View. Gallatin has had one high school for years until Station Camp was built outside Gallatin which incorporated more of the nearby rural area and a little more money. While Gallatin High School would not be my first choice among the other locations it is still in another league compared to Memphis. Springfield has one high school and is similar in nature to Gallatin. Springfield is in Robertson Co. which is considered a rural farming county it is tobacco country. Some of the more rural high schools like East Robertson and Greenbrier would have a more country feel than Springfield High School.

Gallatin is in Sumner Co. which is one of the more affluent counties around Nashville. Hendersonville has great schools and is a money community with nich shopping and homes. White House is part of Sumner Co. schools and has an excellent reputation as well. All of Sumner schools rank high. In the middle TN area Williamson Co. always takes the overall win, however, if you look at the State report card which goes into extreme detail you will see that Sumner Co. actually exceeds Williamson Co. in several areas but overall is second to Williamson Co. but also more affordable.

White House offers a upper middle class community primarily residential in nature with the basic fast food chains and Walmart but the city has kept a close reign on growth but it works out great because WH is approx. 15 miles from Gallatin, Rivergate, Springfield, and Franklin KY (no tax on food) so it is ideally in the middle of all those places.

I dont have as much detail on Pleasant View but know it is much smaller and a rural community.

You will not be disappointed in the demographics of Sumner or Robertson county and the commute to Nashville on a good day is 30-40 minutes.

Anything though will be an improvement coming from the war zone you are leaving!

Good luck.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:04 AM

334 posts, read 1,281,987 times
I agree with most of the things that have been said here, but I'll weigh in too for another perspective. If you are looking for something with easy access to I-24 which which will be an easy commute to Ashland City Highway and Briley Pkwy, you might want to think Coopertown. That is a nice area, and will not be as costly as the Sumner County area that is closer to the lakes. You would be about the same distance to Rivergate shopping area as you would be to Clarksville and the Governors Square Mall there (exactly 20 miles from exit 24 to that area from Clarksville). Sycamore High may be your option of a high school over Springfield or Gallatin for that matter if you are looking for a high school with a smaller minority population. As mentioned Greenbrier would also be a good option along the Betts Road area for land, and it would be closer to the shopping areas with a short drive to Goodlettsville/Rivergate or Springfield or even into White House which basically only has a Walmart and a couple of smaller Dollar store type places as far as shopping. Even though White House is a nice town, it is getting very populated and land for your price range will be tough to find. If I were trying to get to Ashland City Hwy, I would prefer the I-24 route than the tangled web of I-65 that has a feeder traffic from Vietnam Vets Pkway (basically MOST commuters from Sumner County). I would count the East Robertson area out because of the drive factor to your husband's work area.

As for the New Hope Road area, I would not get too excited about that amount of land for that price range because New Hope has a lot of high rocky cliffs that I am sure somebody doesn't want. Most of the flat land in that area with that size property has extremely nice houses on it. Plus, a lot of that area was underwater during the flood in May.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:32 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNNative View Post
If I were trying to get to Ashland City Hwy, I would prefer the I-24 route than the tangled web of I-65 that has a feeder traffic from Vietnam Vets Pkway (basically MOST commuters from Sumner County). I would count the East Robertson area out because of the drive factor to your husband's work area.
Amen to everything you said. Sumner County is great...I love it here...but rural areas in are more expensive for sure. Likewise, the commute would be burdensome, but not killer, still it would be much easier from I 24.

I'd say it depends on what is your #1 priority. If it is good schools, lean towards Sumner at the cost of your land needs. If it is land, then Robertson or Cheatham counties are more attractive. There could be a middle ground somewhere in between as well.

Quote:
As for the New Hope Road area, I would not get too excited about that amount of land for that price range because New Hope has a lot of high rocky cliffs that I am sure somebody doesn't want. Most of the flat land in that area with that size property has extremely nice houses on it. Plus, a lot of that area was underwater during the flood in May.
Yep. It did get flooded pretty badly in parts there.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:13 PM

215 posts, read 681,701 times
Quote:
I would still look into it because it might not have rocky cliffs and it's still a good deal you can't beat for seven acres.
Quote:
Yep. It did get flooded pretty badly in parts there.
Check it out by searching for and contacting the real estate broker by typing the address into Google search lordressler because it might be ok compared to the rest of the New Hope Road area.
If New Hope Road is still a problem I know of one more property in Hendersonville that's a little smaller than what you want at 5.80 acres but still pretty good at 25 Shell Rd for $49,950 so you can check that out too and good luck.

Last edited by goodman2; 01-28-2011 at 06:42 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 08:26 PM

182 posts, read 448,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNNative View Post
Even though White House is a nice town, it is getting very populated and land for your price range will be tough to find.

I agree fully that WH has grown residentially quite a bit over the last few years and unfortunately as you said land is out of the question anymore really. 5 acres IF YOU CAN FIND IT that is decent and close to WH can run 80-90K for better land. However, if there is a farm that goes up for sale the developers buy it before any individual can.

New Hope and Lattimer Lane are nice areas but the creek along New Hope or Hwy. 258 gets very high every time it rains. I have not seen it damage property like it did in the May flood before but that was unpresidented really. Still if it were me I would not take the chance especially for what that land will cost too.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:47 PM

7 posts, read 25,068 times
Thanks to everyone for your wonderful responses, It was all very helpful. We are still in the begining stages of choosing an area to move to, and are thinking we will probably start off in an apartment to get to know the areas even better before buying. (while I'm at it, anyone have any suggestions on where to rent a decent apartment? max 1000 month for 2-3 bedrooms)

My husband and I do not yet have children so schools are not our top priority but we are planning on starting a family soon so I dont want to ignore them either. 62Mike, you gave a great input on schools and it sounds like you understand memphis... I simply don't want to move to an area with awful schools only to have to move years later when we have children because I do not expect to be able to afford private schools.

Sounds like Sumner county is great, but I don't want to push my husbands commute to far... He currently commutes 1 hour (with traffic) here in memphis and hates it!
So I think I'll spend some more time researching (and hopefully visiting soon) Robertson and Cheatham counties.

I have family in Clarksville so those counties are appealing for that as well.

We currently live in a small "one stop light" town right now. It has all the neccesaties (and more) such as Walmart supertsore, some locally owned resteraunts, a few fast food chains, and is still only 25 minutes to major shopping and resteraunts. I hope were able to find something very similar.

AGAIN, Thanks to everyone for the great responses. Any other advice is welcomed!

Old 06-22-2011, 01:40 AM

1 posts, read 6,424 times
look around cross plains, the schools are great. your not in a big city, but your not far from one. Cross Plains is right by interstate 65. I have been all over Robertson County and I would love to stay in Cross Plains or Greenbrier. That is another city worth looking into. In Cross Plains your only 15mins from White House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville