Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 12:32 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

My gf and I are making our 2nd trip to your fine city, we are staying Friday-Monday. We are both still in our 20s, love country music, southern cooking and Irish wine. Last year we took a trip to the JD distillery, went to a fair, ate at Jack's bbq everyday, and spent most days on Broadway listening to music. Was hoping to branch out of the downtown area a bit this year, or at least the touristy areas.... Last year Ryman was closed, so Im sure we will check it out.

Are there any good honky tonks with some good acoustic out of the city limits that we should check out? Would love to experience some places that the locals hang out at (as long as I dont look like an outcast We will have a car so driving a bit to the 'country' isnt a problem.

Good southern cooking... Went to the pancake pantry, but I dont think they even had grits on the menu. Was hoping to find a couple good homestyle cooking. Chicago has just about everything else, so I'm not too concerned with fine dining or anything.

Maybe some good fishing (if I can talk her into it) or lakes where we can just lay out?

I will be sure to bring back a couple cases of yeungling this time, not going to make that mistake again

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 03:18 PM

91 posts, read 203,059 times
Buy growlers of Yazoo, skip the cases of Yeungling. Go take a tour of the yazoo brewery too.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:48 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
The Blue Bird Cafe (The Bluebird Cafe | Nashville, TN) for music?

I just moved here but for food, I like

the Loveless Cafe (food is decent, atmosphere is fun),
Loveless Cafe

Pucketts Grocery (Franklin, downtown, or Leipers Fork)
Welcome to Puckett's Grocery and Restaurant - Franklin - Nashville - Leiper's Fork
Pucketts has music, too, but the schedule is not up for Sept. yet)

Barbara's Home Cookin' in Franklin
Barbara's Home Cookin

(if you continue down Old Hillsboro, right out the driveway from Barbara's, away from Franklin, you'll pass The Castle, a recording studio with a lot of history - Castle).

There IS fishing at Percy Priest Lake - it's HUGE! But be sure to get a one day license. The bait shops sell them. Non-resident rate is $8 for a "no trout" license. $16 with trout. I don't think that guarantees you'll actually CATCH anything though. Just thought Labor Day weekend they might be checking. You can rent boats but the last time I did, it was pretty expensive.

Have fun!

Old 07-31-2011, 04:01 PM

3,048 posts, read 3,315,933 times
Calendar of Shows - Opry.com

Save time for the Opry. Artists are to be determined, but does not matter. The Opry always presents a variety of new, old & legends you won't find anywhere else. Try the new Backstage Grill.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinsn3485 View Post
Buy growlers of Yazoo, skip the cases of Yeungling. Go take a tour of the yazoo brewery too.
Thanks for the recommendation, looks like they have some great brews. Will be buying tickets for that Saturday when they become available

Old 07-31-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post

Loveless Cafe

Welcome to Puckett's Grocery and Restaurant - Franklin - Nashville - Leiper's Fork

Barbara's Home Cookin

(if you continue down Old Hillsboro, right out the driveway from Barbara's, away from Franklin, you'll pass The Castle, a recording studio with a lot of history - Castle).

There IS fishing at Percy Priest Lake - it's HUGE! But be sure to get a one day license. The bait shops sell them. Non-resident rate is $8 for a "no trout" license. $16 with trout. I don't think that guarantees you'll actually CATCH anything though. Just thought Labor Day weekend they might be checking. You can rent boats but the last time I did, it was pretty expensive.

Have fun!
Loveless looks amazing, plan to stop by for Breakfast on Friday since we will probably get to town around 8am.

Also looks like you can rent some waverunners and what not at the lake, might as well do that too.

Thanks!

Old 08-01-2011, 08:48 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Loveless is very popular and a scenic drive...I'd recommend hopping on the Natchez Trace Parkway and heading south for awhile after your meal. Very beautiful drive.

As far as other country style restaurants go, I'd suggest Arnold's Country Kitchen on 8th Avenue (open for breakfast and lunch only...won a James Beard Award last year), Monell's in Germantown (just north of downtown...family style classic southern food), and if you're downtown, there is a Puckett's grocery on the corner of 5th and Church now.

I would definitely second the Bluebird for live music. It's a singer-songwriter haven in the middle of a strip mall in affluent Green Hills...not what you'd expect...but a lot of songwriters catch their breaks here. If you want bluegrass, check out the Station Inn in the Gulch, which is one of the premiere bluegrass spots in the country. There are a couple of cool spots to hear music in East Nashville too, but mostly that part of town isn't "country"...more folky/Americana. If that's your thing too, then maybe check out the Family Wash on Greenwood. They also have fantastic food and beer selection.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:09 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
I had a question about Monells . . . by "family style" do you mean if I went alone, I would be given a 'new' family to eat with? What if they didn't like me and kept the mashed potatoes at the far end of the table????

Old 08-01-2011, 09:57 AM

39 posts, read 91,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post

Loveless Cafe

Barbara's Home Cookin

Have fun!
I wish I could rep you more than once!

Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Loveless is very popular and a scenic drive...I'd recommend hopping on the Natchez Trace Parkway and heading south for awhile after your meal. Very beautiful drive.

As far as other country style restaurants go, I'd suggest Arnold's Country Kitchen on 8th Avenue (open for breakfast and lunch only...won a James Beard Award last year), Monell's in Germantown (just north of downtown...family style classic southern food), and if you're downtown, there is a Puckett's grocery on the corner of 5th and Church now.

I would definitely second the Bluebird for live music. It's a singer-songwriter haven in the middle of a strip mall in affluent Green Hills...not what you'd expect...but a lot of songwriters catch their breaks here. If you want bluegrass, check out the Station Inn in the Gulch, which is one of the premiere bluegrass spots in the country. There are a couple of cool spots to hear music in East Nashville too, but mostly that part of town isn't "country"...more folky/Americana. If that's your thing too, then maybe check out the Family Wash on Greenwood. They also have fantastic food and beer selection.
Bluebird looks like a great place. Will certainly be making reservations for Friday or Saturday. I'm a big fan of 'underground' country, its just a bit hard to come across in the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville