Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:34 AM

328 posts, read 568,769 times

Advertisements

Hey all...
I follow The Tennessean on Twitter and it seems like there is so much violent crime in the Nashville area..
For those of you that live in Nashville and surrounding area~ Franklin, Brentwood, Hendersonville, etc...Do you feel the violent crime in the area is excessive, or is it just that it is put out on media more?
I guess it's similar to being in any other big city???? I just know I wouldn't want to be around that...
Which concerns me because I lovvvveeee TN and would like to possibly move to Franklin area one day..
Is it something you don't really have to worry about as much if you are out in the surrounding areas outside of Nashville and keep to safer areas, take precautions etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
The news outlets will always lead with violent crime. The violent crime here is usually limited to certain higher-crime areas or is domestic-related.

I travel all over Nashville, Williamson and sometimes Rutherford counties regularly, and have for more than 20 years, and never, ever, ever have felt unsafe.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
I'm not sure exactly how to put this.

There is a good deal of crime here. There is a good deal of violent crime here. This, along with sports and weather, is one of the few reasons people watch or read the news.

In the media's quest to keep you so ever informed, they might also scare you a bit. Though that might be intentional.

I'm not going to try to paint this over with lollipops, rainbows, and sunshine...chances are, if you watch the news often enough, there will be a violent crime story from your area. It might not be your street or neighborhood...but your area of town or just down the road...somewhere you *know* well. Part of that is being a larger city. Part of it is that we still have a higher than average violent crime rate. Murder-wise, the rate isn't extraordinary. It's been going down somewhat consistently since the 90s. In the city, 80-100+ murders used to be the norm. In the last 5 years, it's been averaging about 65 (around 10 murders per 100,000). We aren't a murder capital by any means. But a triple shooting can make anyone feel uneasy.

Crime is generally a numbers game. You can look at the blanket city or metro rates and try to figure out your chances of being a victim...but that in itself is inaccurate. Certain locations put you at much greater risk of being a victim of violent crime. Some situations do as well. In a broad sense, the suburbs are generally safer than the city. Franklin is largely a very safe place. But does Franklin have crime? Even violent crime? You bet your ***** they do. Just not in great numbers. Still well below the national average.

I think in Franklin, your chances of being a victim of random violent crime is extremely low.

And honestly, you're fine in most areas of Nashville. You want to avoid certain situations, for sure. Be aware of where you are. Don't be complacent. But you shouldn't feel worried or afraid all of the time. Yes, take precautions. Lower your chances of being a victim of a crime of opportunity.

Sadly, a lot of our crime can be attributed to drugs and gangs. And while innocent people do get caught in the middle at times, most of the time it's other criminals. But trust me, if a crime occurs outside the spectrum of the "expected" like a woman robbed at gun or knife point in a shopping center parking lot...BIG NEWS. Not that they shouldn't report it. But making you feel uncomfortable/unsafe is what keeps them in business. It won't be just a story, there will be a reporter on the scene.

Neither I, nor any of my close friends or family have been victims of violent crime, to my knowledge. I don't feel unsafe here, in general. But there are certainly some areas that have made me feel uncomfortable.

I hope this helps. It's not rosy. It's not Mayberry. We're a city with city problems.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:47 AM

328 posts, read 568,769 times
Thanks guys...that is what I figured...Just wanted to get your feedback.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:33 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times
You know the news motto, if it's bleeds, it leads.
Google the crime rate in your town, and then compare it to the crime rate in Franklin. That will probably help you feel more comfortable.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:54 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Personally, I felt much safer in San Francisco than I do living here. In fact, I don't really feel comfortable living alone. There seems to be a lot more drug crime here and the area where I work (downtown), I do not feel safe after dark. In SF I would walk home from downtown in the late evenings without any issue.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:45 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
I always "felt" safer overseas - in Europe or Australia - than I felt in say, New York City. But I think a lot of that was just blissful youthful ignorance on my part. I never felt unsafe in San Francisco either but it's an expensive place to live.

I have never felt unsafe in Nashville either . . . downtown, as long as there are people around - leaving the Ryman or the Bridgestone.

Where do you live N.Cal? Do you live downtown?

I live in the burbs. Only thing I worry about is hitting a deer late at night.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:05 PM

I live on the edge of the Gulch. Everyone says I should move to East Nashville but I would no way want to live alone in a house. And I'm not a suburban gal.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:12 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I live on the edge of the Gulch. Everyone says I should move to East Nashville but I would no way want to live alone in a house. And I'm not a suburban gal.
Budget would be the big factor on where to move. Some of the gentrified East Nashville hoods are among the safest enclaves in town. Lockeland Springs, namely. But it's not cheap to move there.

The other option would be to go for West End/Hillsboro/Belmont...but I think you already know that's a pricey area.

I'm guessing North Gulch is where you are talking about, and yes, for the time being, it's pretty isolated. Perhaps things will change when Northwestern Mutual finally gets their project going north of Charlotte.

The "main" part of the Gulch seems pretty safe to me...but that has a lot to do with it being much more built up and active.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Budget would be the big factor on where to move. Some of the gentrified East Nashville hoods are among the safest enclaves in town. Lockeland Springs, namely. But it's not cheap to move there.

The other option would be to go for West End/Hillsboro/Belmont...but I think you already know that's a pricey area.

I'm guessing North Gulch is where you are talking about, and yes, for the time being, it's pretty isolated. Perhaps things will change when Northwestern Mutual finally gets their project going north of Charlotte.

The "main" part of the Gulch seems pretty safe to me...but that has a lot to do with it being much more built up and active.
I feel safe inside my apt. It's downtown or riding my bike or being out in a lot of places where I don't feel safe. I wouldn't feel safe living anywhere in a house, even Belle Meade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville