Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 11:43 AM

19 posts, read 23,260 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I haven't posted anything in a while but I read the posts almost everyday! I feel that I am learning so much more about Nashville based on the information that is shared on this forum.

My last post a few months ago had questions about different builders in the Hendersonville area. Just to update those who care, my husband and I have found an existing home in Hendersonville to purchase. We came for a visit in the beginning of November and found a home we love. It fell perfectly in place with the Sellers agreeing to closing in January!

My question is weather related. We want to come back to Nashville (from Wisconsin) at the end of January. What should we expect for weather (typically)? I know that no one can really perdict the weather but what is typical for that time of year?

As always, any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Midwest Wife
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 12:38 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,222,306 times
Around that time of year is often our coldest time of the year, with snow possible; however, there is just no telling. I have seen Januaries where people were driving convertibles with the top down and others when it was bone-chilling cold. About once or twice a decade we will have a really cold January where it gets below zero for a few days.

You might prepare for daytime temperatures down to at least the 30s or 40s, and nighttime temperatures in the teens or 20s, and hope it turns out to not be that cold. Layering is probably a good idea. You might start out needing a sweater and a heavy coat in the morning and end up just needing a sweater by afternoon.

You always check back here, or online at one of the local TV stations, a few days before your trip.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:04 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,476,232 times
Congrats on moving to Hendersonville! Let me know if there's anything Hville specific I can help you out with. What part of Hville did you decide upon?

Alleycat's advice is spot-on, all around. Late January is reliably cold in this area, but it will not be as bad as you're used to in Wisconsin. We do get dips of extreme cold that time of year, so check a few days before you come down to be sure.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:06 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,720 times
Just for the sake of the law of averages:

Average Nashville high in January: 46.9
Average low in January: 28.4

Average high in February: 51.8
Average low in February: 31.6

You said late January so I figured I'd use both

Old 12-09-2013, 01:20 PM

19 posts, read 23,260 times
Thanks Everyone!! coming from Wisconsin with a high of 19 today and much colder weather to come, I can handle the temps that you have shared Everyday my husband makes a comment about he can't wait until we move! He may say something different when the temps get really high in the summer

Hey DonCorleone, We our moving to the Autumn Creek subdivision. The area seems really nice and peaceful!

Old 12-09-2013, 03:07 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,222,306 times
We really just can't give you any kind of definite idea. It wouldn't surprise me if it was in the high 60s in January, or down below zero. A lot depends on where the jet scream is; sometimes it stays north and sometimes it dips down into the mid-south bringing frigid air with it. At other times the warmer air from the Gulf will determine the weather.

Our best guess is probably that it will be fairly cold in late January. Sometimes it might not be that cold, but will be rainy, which makes the temperature seem worse.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:40 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,745,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Couple View Post
Thanks Everyone!! coming from Wisconsin with a high of 19 today and much colder weather to come, I can handle the temps that you have shared Everyday my husband makes a comment about he can't wait until we move! He may say something different when the temps get really high in the summer

Hey DonCorleone, We our moving to the Autumn Creek subdivision. The area seems really nice and peaceful!
I used to live in Northern Illinois, our weather here is gonna be a cakewalk for you guys.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:24 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,282,099 times
An early "Welcome to TN". Having lived here a little over 6 years I can say the temps vary from year to year but should be warmer than where you are now. Have a safe trip down!

Old 12-10-2013, 08:38 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,476,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Couple View Post
That's a great area. Very convenient to Indian Lake and the bypass. We looked at that area a few years ago. You'll like it.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:54 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,094,307 times
We had about 1/10th of an inch of snow overnight. Schools are closed. Highways have been backed up for hours. No snow plows (or very few). They "brine" the roads in anticipation of a storm, they spray it withe salt water! Just to let you know that you won't have to shovel BUT it's a huge hassle to get anywhere when we do get . . . a few flakes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: