Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 06:16 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times

Advertisements

I've only ventured out on I-24 a couple of times during "rush hour" in the past few years to catch a flight. I don't know how those people do it every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 08:07 AM

4,347 posts, read 4,724,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I've only ventured out on I-24 a couple of times during "rush hour" in the past few years to catch a flight. I don't know how those people do it every day.
No kidding. Once a week I have to drive from North Nashville to Smyrna leaving between 7:30-8:00. Seeing everyone going the other direction at a snail's pace (or just totally stopped) for pretty much the entire way of 24 - no way! It's the same as LA traffic with less lanes.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:27 AM

815 posts, read 2,019,480 times
I have never understood why they haven't widened I-24, Murfreesboro to Nasvhille, to 5 or 6 lanes like they did I-65 North from Trinity all the way to Rivergate. It would alleviate some of the traffic becaue with the HOV lane, if the rules are followed, leaves I-24 with 3 lanes to be used for single person cars. If there if there is a wreck in a lane or two that takes up needed lanes too.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:11 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,358,159 times
I sometimes leave around 7-7:10 and it's stop and go closer to Davidson Co all the way into the city. Once I pass Sam Ridley I get ready to hit the brakes.

I like the idea of widening the interstate. I also like some sort of transit too.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:35 PM

434 posts, read 1,737,474 times
It's usually not so bad from Smyrna on out so if you are living out that way you might as well live in Murfreesboro. Basically everyone at my husband's office (near the airport) lives out there. We live in Smyrna but hate it and would move to Murf if we weren't already moving to Seattle. He just goes to the gym early near work in the morning so he doesn't have to fight traffic.
Bottom line - the best way to combat 24 traffic is to leave at off times if you can, get an Audible audiobook membership, and just relax. Sadly the side roads are usually just as bad or worse. We would declare the drive worth it for a nicer area (Murf) if we had it to do over again. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2016, 01:41 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,720 times
I would never live in Murfreesboro unless I worked in Murfreesboro.

Old 04-01-2016, 01:56 PM

21 posts, read 25,249 times
We have lived in Murfreesboro just since the first week of January 2016. Luckily, we neither one have to drive into Nashville for work but I do take my husband to the airport twice a month. If his flight is really early and we're on the road by 4am, I'm to the airport in about a half hour. If his flight is a little later and we're on the road at 6am - even at that early hour the drive is increased to 45 minutes. I've taken 41 returning from the airport and while it's not too bad at that early hour - as others have mentioned, there are a ton of traffic lights along that route. I think if I had to go to Nashville on a regular basis (depending upon which part of course), I'd try taking either 96 or 840 over to 65 and north from there. Of course that's coming from a newbie that hasn't tested that yet during rush hour.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:32 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle28 View Post
We have lived in Murfreesboro just since the first week of January 2016. Luckily, we neither one have to drive into Nashville for work but I do take my husband to the airport twice a month. If his flight is really early and we're on the road by 4am, I'm to the airport in about a half hour. If his flight is a little later and we're on the road at 6am - even at that early hour the drive is increased to 45 minutes. I've taken 41 returning from the airport and while it's not too bad at that early hour - as others have mentioned, there are a ton of traffic lights along that route. I think if I had to go to Nashville on a regular basis (depending upon which part of course), I'd try taking either 96 or 840 over to 65 and north from there. Of course that's coming from a newbie that hasn't tested that yet during rush hour.
Don't. 24 during rush hour is seriously as bad as commuting when I lived in LA at times. That's how bad it is.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:35 PM

627 posts, read 1,847,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I have never understood why they haven't widened I-24, Murfreesboro to Nasvhille, to 5 or 6 lanes like they did I-65 North from Trinity all the way to Rivergate. It would alleviate some of the traffic becaue with the HOV lane, if the rules are followed, leaves I-24 with 3 lanes to be used for single person cars. If there if there is a wreck in a lane or two that takes up needed lanes too.
Research has proven that if you build more lanes, people will just move out that way and turn it into a parking lot yet again.

What’s Up With That: Building Bigger Roads Actually Makes Traffic Worse | WIRED

Old 04-01-2016, 09:53 PM

263 posts, read 614,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post
Research has proven that if you build more lanes, people will just move out that way and turn it into a parking lot yet again.

What’s Up With That: Building Bigger Roads Actually Makes Traffic Worse | WIRED
Yes. Induced demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville