Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 07:07 AM

4 posts, read 9,526 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am moving to the Murfreesboro area in the next few months for a job opportunity in Nashville. We plan to live in Murfreesboro area, due to my daughter going to a private school in the area. When I came for my interview we stayed in Murfreesboro and drove to Nashville via I24 and the traffic was terrible. I've been reading about it so know it is to be expected. But is there any other way to get to Nashville avoiding the interstates? Looking at the map, it looks like you could go up 41 through Smyrna into Nashville.

Any local tips from those who live in the area?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 07:32 AM

456 posts, read 586,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebelissa View Post
Hi! I am moving to the Murfreesboro area in the next few months for a job opportunity in Nashville. We plan to live in Murfreesboro area, due to my daughter going to a private school in the area. When I came for my interview we stayed in Murfreesboro and drove to Nashville via I24 and the traffic was terrible. I've been reading about it so know it is to be expected. But is there any other way to get to Nashville avoiding the interstates? Looking at the map, it looks like you could go up 41 through Smyrna into Nashville.

Thanks in advance!
Im sorry to tell you that Murfreesboro may be the worst area to commute from. 1 hr + is pretty normal. Have you considered other suburbs?

Old 03-29-2016, 10:58 AM

140 posts, read 256,016 times
Depending on what hour of the morning/evening you're looking at doing this, you can parallel 24 with US-41/70S. I know of a few other back ways, but the problem is one of them involves a three-way intersection that also intersects with a railroad crossing.

Beyond that...there's not much else.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:39 AM

456 posts, read 586,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850_branded View Post
Depending on what hour of the morning/evening you're looking at doing this, you can parallel 24 with US-41/70S. I know of a few other back ways, but the problem is one of them involves a three-way intersection that also intersects with a railroad crossing.

Beyond that...there's not much else.
Taking that highway is easily 30+ miles with about 30-40 stop lights. Coming from Antioch, it would be an option but that drive from Murfreesboro, in rush hour, would guarantee an hour,at the very minimum.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:51 AM

8,049 posts, read 12,761,708 times

Short of flying the interstate IS the fastest way to get into Nashville. You should have been here before they widened the road; it was really bad.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:04 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Taking Murfreesboro Rd (US 41) from Murfreesboro to downtown will take you nearly an hour without rush hour traffic. I don't want to even imagine it during rush hour.

The best way to avoid I-24 is to not live along the I-24 corridor.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:56 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
The best way to avoid I-24 is to not live along the I-24 corridor.

State Senator Ketron has got the monorail all planned out though.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:15 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebelissa View Post

Thanks in advance!
1) Get up & going early, 6:00-6:30 or late, probably 8:30-9:00

2) Depends if you also need 440 to get to West End /Vandyland, another slow route.

Apart from this find out about the MTA/RTA express bus, MTA/BRT route, regular MTA bus. Maybe you can find a park & ride spot.

3) The only other route may be to use Old Hickory or Harding place over to I-65. Then you get to mix with traffic coming from Brentwood/Franklin.

If you have time till fall semester consider a different private school? What bus service can the school provide so you don't have to do all the driving?

Old 03-29-2016, 06:53 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
State Senator Ketron has got the monorail all planned out though.
I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and by gum I've put them on the map!

Old 03-30-2016, 05:33 AM

337 posts, read 448,298 times
I have found consistently that leaving from North Murfreesboro around 9:10 has been pretty smooth sailing. I haven't figured exactly when the "latest" you would want to leave before encountering traffic. But any time I have left from about 7:15- 8:45, you come to a dead stop about exit 66 or 64 and it just gets uglier from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville