Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 02:52 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,810,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
This isn't in alignment with anything related to George Soros funded BLM.
I would not lean towards BLM either. ANTIFA is more suspect. Foreign terrorism is also suspect. Disgruntled employee or customer of ATT? Possible. This could even be a statement about our states lack of shutdowns over the “rona”. There are some on the left very angry about Tennessee policy of no lockdowns or mask mandates and they did hit a tourist and bar area. There are a lot of possibilities.

Right wing terrorist? Seems unlikely. Attacking a city in one of America’s reddest states seems illogical for a right wing attack. If this happened in Portland or San Francisco I would suspect right wing terrorists but it did not.

Of course I am speculating like everyone else as I know absolutely nothing. The one thing I am sure of is that this person is a scumbag and an evil individual. I do not care what his motivation is, nothing justifies random violence like a bomb in a city’s center. We are very lucky there is no death toll. If he is caught he should die like Mcveigh did. His motives make no difference in his punishment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 02:53 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,356,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Pro Trump people could have done this! They are nuts these days!
Said a liberal. More calling for "unity" stuff. SMH

Old 12-25-2020, 03:41 PM

21,942 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I'm guessing no one here is old enough to remember the Oklahoma City bombing.
Um....911.

Old 12-25-2020, 04:01 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,903,577 times
Telephone communication was knocked out for Nashville and the surrounding area, western and central Kentucky, including Bowling Green and Lexington, Huntsville, Knoxville and Atlanta. Haven't seen anything about Louisville, Birmingham, Chattanooga or Cincinnati. The Nashville International Airport was forced to hold outbound flights for a while this afternoon, until a connection with the Memphis airport's control tower, etc., could be jury-rigged.

Investigators have surveillance photos of the RV, a large camper van, which apparently was left on the scene around 1:30 CST this morning. They very likely have more pictures, not yet publicly released, which may help them trace its path to its final destination. Very little traffic during the night of Dec.24-25 will surely help distinguish it.

I listened to the warning recording and thought it sounded like a young, probably white American man who was not originally from Nashville, as the accent and "melody" of the statement didn't sound local (I lived in Nashville for a year and normally visit for an annual weekend). Some thought it was a woman's voice. Listening again, it's hard to say, but if it's a woman, she isn't from the area, either, but sounds American (or possibly Canadian), white, and youngish.

Which doesn't narrow it down much at all, since Nashville is full of young white (and other colors) people, both men and women, mostly Americans not originally from the city.

CBS reported that body parts had been found. Three police officers were injured, with one suffering hearing loss which I hope will be temporary. Eardrums can regenerate and heal, thankfully.

Given the present political situation, I hope and pray this was not a dry run for a larger, more deadly attack. The choice of date and time, plus the recorded warning, seem very deliberately designed to minimize civilian injuries or deaths. Just not clear at all what the motivation might be. AT&T could have been a target, but it seems to have been collateral damage - substantial collateral damage, and I haven't seen any statement about when service is likely to be restored.

Whatever the motivation was, the bomber's little device sure messed up several blocks of downtown Nashville. Glaziers are going to be kept very busy, as soon as the area is cleared by investigators.

Old 12-25-2020, 04:04 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times
Throughout history, human beings prove time and time again that in general they suck.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:20 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,453,980 times
So terrible and what an awful tragedy.

I sincerely hope these terrorists are caught quickly.

Thankfully no one died.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:57 PM

194 posts, read 190,752 times
Checking in safe and sound from downtown. I felt nothing. Not sure how people 10 miles away supposedly did.

Old 12-25-2020, 09:02 PM

206 posts, read 184,970 times
Its very sad how can people do that. Who ever did this should be found asap to avoid any other future disturbances.
I hope all is well there in down town.

Old 12-26-2020, 05:52 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,337,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
As for international terrorists, I think that is even less likely. No offense to Nashville, but it's not big enough to be a target for international terrorists. They would be looking for something bigger to hit.
No offense taken -- at least from me. I definitely agree that Nashville doesn't make sense as a strategic military or political target. Maybe as a cultural target, but despite hitting a good portion of our tourist district, I think it's highly improbable it was the target.

I would also doubt international terrorism -- at least state sponsored. I wouldn't rule out an organization. We'll just have to see when more details are released. I guess we'll know when we figure out if this was an AT&T specific attack or someone poking at our telecom infrastructure to see what it takes to disrupt certain things, and Nashville just happened to be the right sized fence post to test.

We'll see.

Old 12-26-2020, 07:20 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It looks to me like AT&T was the target, and they wanted to disrupt communications. It seems eerily similar to the 2013 incident in San Jose California, in which somebody cut fiber optic cable lines belonging to AT&T and then fired shots at an electrical substation. I don't think they ever found any suspects in that case. Me thinks somebody really doesn't like AT&T.
These people knew what they were doing and probably showed others who have been thinking about the same thing, that it can be done. One bomb can wipe out all major internet for days. right now there is no cell phone coverage, you can't use credit cards OR ATMs. Unless you have a lot of cash stashed around, it will be hard to go get gas in the car, groceries, or going out to eat. We're down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville