Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 05:04 PM

635 posts, read 1,747,033 times

Advertisements

How are African American White and Latino relations working out in Nashville? I saw two people from Nashville on CNN say some very innapropriate things about Barack Obama that could be considered profiling or racist. I'm not saying other or most people have these race feelings in Nashville. I was curious to know how race relations add up in the Nashville area to other parts of Tennessee and the U.S. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 09:44 PM

813 posts, read 2,032,033 times
I think race relations are fine here. At the very least, I've very rarely had racial problems. You have to keep in mind that everywhere has its' share of bigots. Nashville isn't immune nor is anywhere else I've ever been.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:27 AM

933 posts, read 2,742,776 times
Compared to other areas of the US that I have lived the race relations are much better here. I believe it has to do with a substantial African America middle class and the presence of a some majority black institutes of higher learning (Fisk and TSU). I have lived in Lexington, KY and have college friends that live in Cincinnati, OH and Louisville, KY and there seems to be much more friction between races in those cities. Lexington seemed especially bad. Of course you do still have elements of the Old South attitude here (just read some comments on the Tennessean newspaper website when any murder that happens) but those seem to be a few people with blinders on who can't see the forest for the trees who bang the drum loudly, so to speak. Just my observation. As far as Latino relations, you mostly just read inapropriate comments (like above) I really have never heard about it materializing in a real incident. I think the mini explosion of immigrants has suprised some natives here and like other parts of the US (see Lou dobbs of CNN) there is somewhat of a backlash, (whether right or wrong) against the movement. The councilman in Bellevue is trying to pass a "English first" city amendment that would be meaningless, would probably cost the city thousands of dollars to try to defend in court and pretty much enforce any stereotypes that other people might have of Nashville and the South in general (and scare away out of town businesses in droves).

Last edited by yank283; 07-14-2008 at 08:47 AM..

Old 07-14-2008, 01:37 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
I think yank283 said it perfectly. You'll find a fair share of close minded folks here, but overall I think Nashville is a pretty good (and tolerant) melting pot. Once you get out in the outlying areas, I get the sense that you'll find more polarizing viewpoints. But overall, we're well-educated (lots of colleges here) and tolerant.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:56 PM

5 posts, read 15,802 times
Which is rather a polite way of saying there are no"Crips or Bloods" hanging out on the street corners? Education has an uncanny way of making hanging out with gangs pass'e. I am not opposed to living in a racially mixed neighborhood as long as the houses don't have to have bars on the windows, or mispelled graffitti is spray painted on my fences, or that nickle & dime bags aren't being sold under the street lights. And gangs, I might add, come in all colours. Not just black/hispanic.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:33 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflygurl View Post
Which is rather a polite way of saying there are no"Crips or Bloods" hanging out on the street corners? Education has an uncanny way of making hanging out with gangs pass'e. I am not opposed to living in a racially mixed neighborhood as long as the houses don't have to have bars on the windows, or mispelled graffitti is spray painted on my fences, or that nickle & dime bags aren't being sold under the street lights. And gangs, I might add, come in all colours. Not just black/hispanic.
Houses can have bars on the windows and misspelled grafitti painted on fences, nickle and dime bags sold under the street lights and more whether racially mixed or not.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:17 AM

93 posts, read 359,863 times
I live in Memphis and visit Nashville Often, they are far better in Nashville than here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville