Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:04 PM

107 posts, read 267,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtine View Post
Dogs always tend to shed more in warmer climates due to undercoat releasing more often. It's just something you have to get used to. A good omega3 & fatty acid supplement can help with this though.

Also, since you have made a move recently and he may not be fully acclimated and experiencing some stress. So he may be mildly "blowing his coat".
THANKS xtine!

It's good to know that the heat can have a big factor with the shedding. I don't think he is that stressed though. He isn't acting any different and he seems to like it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 09:05 PM

107 posts, read 267,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
I second the Furminator. We do our saint with a rake which gets the thick undercoat. When nothing more comes out with the rake, we get another small trash bag full using the Furminator. Saints are famous for shedding bags full of hair weekly so your mileage may vary with the Furminator. We came from the North indirectly. We were in NH, but spent two years in DE on our way to TN. The temp in DE is about the same, but more humidity.

What is a Furminator and where can I get one? Are they expensive???

Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 PM

957 posts, read 3,700,226 times
It's a sort of rake that they just came out with. It's like a rake with teeth that are closer together. PetSmart has them. They aren't cheap. Depending on the size, $30 - $60. It's worth it if you have a shedding dog.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:11 AM

27 posts, read 95,570 times
Default Dogs in the heat

We set up a plastic (hard plastic, not blow up) kiddie pool and our dogs just lounge around in it all day. pool party

Old 07-26-2008, 02:01 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,981,632 times
I bought one of those plastic kiddie pools but my dog won't go in it. He's not afraid of water, but I have yet to get him into any body of water.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:26 AM

150 posts, read 441,586 times
I have two JRT's. They are 11 and 12 yrs old. But, when I take them out everyone thinks that they are about 2! They still have loads of energy (oh, if you could only bottle it and sell it, you would never have to work again!) and look young as they are primarily white.

But, if I take them out during the day longer than just a potty break they show the effects of the heat/humidity instantly. I was living in NC until June and we had a really nice spring there. I walked them for about 45 minutes a little after lunch time some days (I normally would walk them late at night) and they did well until the temperature got to 75 and above. Then just one round of the apartment complex left them panting and really slowed them down. And this would be in pretty low humidity as I would wait until night to walk if the humidity was high.

Here, we walk late at night for about 45 minutes. Just within our apartment complex. It is well lit and I feel very safe here. I do take mace with me, just in case of coyotes (which they say is rare here). However, we did have a buck jump out at us one night and few days later a doe came out to see us. Haven't seen either one again.

Mike in TN - Try throwing a ball into the pool and see if your dog will fetch. Maybe that will help him get used to it. My dogs loved the pool - we had one when I lived in SC and kept it on our deck. My littlest Jack loved playing with his golf ball in the pool. He could entertain himself by bobbing it up and down all day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville