Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:56 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP300 View Post
The locals will say that racism does not exist in Nashville, but that is because they are naive and are sensitive to the subject. As a northerner, I am shocked by the racism that I see on a frequent basis here.
Can you give examples? I live in LA and while most people are tolerant, there definitely is racism against Mexicans. I never hear any racism towards African Americans (except from my 87 year old grandmother who isn't a CA native). I'm sure I'll be in for a huge culture shock regarding racism when I move to Nashville in January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 03:46 PM

215 posts, read 682,085 times
I must say I would never move to Hendersonville,TN it's not lgbtq friendly and people there just stare so I feel it's really a mean place and the only reason I visit there every now and then is to shop at some stores.East Nashville here which also includes Northeast Nashville is probably one the most lgbtq friendly areas around so I would definitely reccomend where I live as a very nice area.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:32 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman2 View Post
I must say I would never move to Hendersonville,TN it's not lgbtq friendly and people there just stare so I feel it's really a mean place and the only reason I visit there every now and then is to shop at some stores.East Nashville here which also includes Northeast Nashville is probably one the most lgbtq friendly areas around so I would definitely reccomend where I live as a very nice area.

WOW! I never heard that about Hendersonville and it's disturbing. I know in Murfreesboro, with MTSU and all, the lgbtq community has few issues. I agree that where you live has the most diversity and is probably the most lgbtq friendly in the Nashville area.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:27 PM

14 posts, read 38,728 times
Quote:
The locals will say that racism does not exist in Nashville, but that is because they are naive and are sensitive to the subject. As a northerner, I am shocked by the racism that I see on a frequent basis here.
Shocked, really? I moved from the south and everyone just assumed because I was born and raised there that I must be a card carrying member of the Klan. The sorry thing about that assumption is that people felt they could openly speak to me and use offensive language like I was somehow OK with THEIR racism.

Racism is everywhere, the south is just a bit more open when it comes to numb skulls spouting their hate. Also, when Saturn moved into the area back in the late 80's, the people who came from the northern part of the country could be overtly racist. We had several potential neighbors knock on our door when looking to buy a home, and ask if any black people lived in the neighborhood and if so how many. They were very open about not wanting to live in the same area as "those people".

Old 04-23-2010, 09:17 AM

286 posts, read 699,662 times
In regards to the OP, you and your children will probably be fine. OTOH, if you are a first generation Asian-American--with a strong accent--then you will run into problems.

Nashville is a fairly intolerant place, but mainly towards blacks, Mexicans, and gays. Nashvillians don't think of themselves as intolerant, rather they think they're displaying "good ol fashion southern heritage." For example, when there is a monument to the founder of the white supremcist group on the side of the interstate, most white Nashvillians don't even think about it. Most people from other parts of the nation realize it's offensive and in poor taste--even if it is supposedly "celebrating heritage."

You can run down the list. Multiracial couples--particularly blacks and whites--wil draw stares. There is a high degree of social segregation in Nashville. Nashville is one of the largest cities in the nation that doesn't prohibit discrimination against gay government employees. Etc. etc. etc.

Sure in every part of the country you will find racism. Down here we have our Bubbas. The Midwest has its Bubinskis. The NE has its Bubbarellis. But the difference is that racism in the south is widespread. It permeates the Southern culture from top to bottom. Once you get outside of Nashville, it will get weird quick--like going back in time 50 years.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:32 AM

297 posts, read 1,078,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcredux View Post
In regards to the OP, you and your children will probably be fine. OTOH, if you are a first generation Asian-American--with a strong accent--then you will run into problems.

Nashville is a fairly intolerant place, but mainly towards blacks, Mexicans, and gays. Nashvillians don't think of themselves as intolerant, rather they think they're displaying "good ol fashion southern heritage." For example, when there is a monument to the founder of the white supremcist group on the side of the interstate, most white Nashvillians don't even think about it. Most people from other parts of the nation realize it's offensive and in poor taste--even if it is supposedly "celebrating heritage."

You can run down the list. Multiracial couples--particularly blacks and whites--wil draw stares. There is a high degree of social segregation in Nashville. Nashville is one of the largest cities in the nation that doesn't prohibit discrimination against gay government employees. Etc. etc. etc.

Sure in every part of the country you will find racism. Down here we have our Bubbas. The Midwest has its Bubinskis. The NE has its Bubbarellis. But the difference is that racism in the south is widespread. It permeates the Southern culture from top to bottom. Once you get outside of Nashville, it will get weird quick--like going back in time 50 years.
Could not agree more. Well-said.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:27 PM

815 posts, read 2,018,770 times
Quote:

I agree as well, especially if you go Noth, West, or Southwest, with in Davidson County, the overall mentality of a lot of things is still like being in 1980. Social segreation is really an issue here too, as stated.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:52 PM

569 posts, read 1,425,623 times
Obviously....everyone has their own experiences....but I can say that I find people in Nashville to be fairly tolerant. I'm gay and find that most people are very accepting towards me.....but that's just my experience.

Nashville is one of the largest cities in the nation that doesn't prohibit discrimination against gay government employees. Etc. etc. etc.

Actually....there is a law....

http://www.nashvillescene.com/pitw/a...st-gay-workers

Old 04-23-2010, 06:02 PM

147 posts, read 334,501 times
Quote:

Actually, most people thought constructing that statue on the side of 65 was in very poor taste. The news was all over it when it was first built. But what do you want people to do about it 15 years later? Protest every day? It's there now and it's just something you have to live with. I'm sure most people driving by don't even know what it is. And do you know why? It's because people thought it was poor taste to have all the confederate flags fly behind it, so the owner was told to take them down or face fines.

There are racist people everywhere. To say that it is more widespread in the South is not something you can prove, so why say it? I like how some people think they are better than the South because they claim not to be so racist, but they are really just stereotyping a whole region.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:04 PM

147 posts, read 334,501 times
Quote:
Could not agree more. Well-said.
You seem to hate Nashville so much and I saw in another thread where you said you don't even like the people here. Serious question: why do you live here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville