Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 08:16 AM

44,371 posts, read 20,076,303 times

Advertisements

I saw lots of deer in several locations yesterday as I was driving back and forth to church. I drive through a rural area to get there, so it's not at all unusual for me to see deer and other critters. They're so beautiful.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:34 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,252,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I saw lots of deer in several locations yesterday as I was driving back and forth to church. I drive through a rural area to get there, so it's not at all unusual for me to see deer and other critters. They're so beautiful.

I haven't see any deer the last couple of months living closer to the beach. But there is a rowdy squirrel having fun on my roof. He gallops back and forth from a big tree in the back with limbs almost reaching the roof to the front where he takes a big leap onto a palm tree. I'm assuming it's a he since he's such a rowdy bad boy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 12:44 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,535,428 times
From one of my outing here in Tennessee.. about 20 yards away..

Old 12-25-2012, 06:20 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Several years ago driving through a state park in upstate New York, no few than 3 times deer crossed the road in front of the car. Once two deer crossed at one time so that was 4 total we saw on the road. The road was asphalt and their hooves slipped. Makes you wonder how those reindeer make all those snowy rooftop deliveries.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Several years ago driving through a state park in upstate New York, no few than 3 times deer crossed the road in front of the car. Once two deer crossed at one time so that was 4 total we saw on the road. The road was asphalt and their hooves slipped. Makes you wonder how those reindeer make all those snowy rooftop deliveries.
Santa's reindeer are outfitted with horse shoes that have a non-skid rubber.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Growing up in 1950-60's in the Finger Lakes of New York I would encounter several times a years deer trying too swim across the lake which is up too five miles wide.. some unfortunately would not make it and would be washed up on the beach..

Old 12-25-2012, 12:11 PM

I made my first visit to Honeymoon Island today. It remained overcast and still is so I drove around the island for about an hour. They're open every day of the year and you'd think the two cafes would also be open. But they were not and I was hungry so I didn't walk the nature trail. There are lots of ospreys on the island with their big tall nests so I will include osprey pics on my next visit ... which will be when the sun is out. It's only a few minutes from my home and a lovely drive over.

Caladesi Island is also beautiful and ferries leave from Honeymoon Island. I will do that one day. I like taking pics and just enjoying nature. The roar of the surf is like an old friend. There are so many things to see on this small island along with the Osprey that we already know is the Ultimate Fisher - Gopher Tortoise, Great Blue Heron, Egrets, Ducks, Great Horned Owl, Florida Mockingbird, American Bald Eagle, Box Turtle, Red Wing Black Bird and sea gulls, of course. There are signs that it's possible to encounter a diamondback rattler in the brush.

I took only a few pics since everything would have the grayish haze. I insist on the sparkling glow of the sun when taking pics at the beach! I'll be back! You can see how white the sand is. There are some places on the beach full of rocks and others loaded with shells. Those wooden benches are peppered all over the island. It's a lovely place and from comments I find online, it's never crowded like other touristy beaches.

This is the Bay side.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:48 PM

That use too be the place after a storm for shell collecting...do they still collect shells.. I know they where having problems years ago with the commercial shell collectors tearing up the beach and dunes in that area..

Old 12-25-2012, 02:21 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
In addition to deer, Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets, Little Blue Herons, Tri-colored herons, Woodstorks, Great Blue Herons

I have just seen a BOBCAT, in the wild!

First time for me, so what a great experience! Beautiful animal, just sauntering along....

made my day~

Old 12-25-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
That use too be the place after a storm for shell collecting...do they still collect shells.. I know they where having problems years ago with the commercial shell collectors tearing up the beach and dunes in that area..
Since it's a state park, I was assuming that it's not legal to take anything off the island. I just browsed and a site for the park has info that includes shell collecting along the beach is particularly good in the winter. That means it's okay but if I see people out there looking like they're gather loads for commercial use, I'll go get a ranger! A lady at the Nature Center said that Caladesi and Honeymoon Islands were one larger barrier island until a hurricane in 1921 washed out the sand in the middle, breaking the barrier island into two separate units. She also said Honeymoon Island can be reached by walking or biking from Clearwater but it's about five miles. No five mile walking for me but that's a good ride on a bicycle for lots of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
In addition to deer, Great Egrets, Snowy Egrets, Little Blue Herons, Tri-colored herons, Woodstorks, Great Blue Herons

I have just seen a BOBCAT, in the wild!

First time for me, so what a great experience! Beautiful animal, just sauntering along....

made my day~
There are many things to see, for sure, and such lovely surroundings to relax and snap pics. The big birds will be easy to spot and for the rest, I just need to be still and observe. I'm determined to get my own pic of the Great Blue Heron!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature