Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 06:45 PM

72 posts, read 137,035 times

Advertisements

Looking for info on Long Pine nebraska in brown county.Has anyone been there what jobs are there?Construction and farming is my field of work.Any info appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 03:30 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,548,641 times
Not a whole lot of job ops in Long Pine itself, you may want to think about Ainsworth just 8 miles west or Basset back east of Long Pine.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:54 PM

Brown County Nebraska

Try the link above, it has some good info on that area also.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:48 PM

What is the weather like in winter i am from michigan and we get loads of snow from november to may with temps ranging from below zero to 25 degrees

Old 11-09-2007, 10:50 AM

You will see some snow, no doubt. The amounts you see in Michigan, doubtful as no big lake there to effect moisture. You are talking open spaces in this area of Nebraska and if it snows, expect the wind and then the drifts. Good time to get cozy by the fire and let it blow itself out. Temps will get as low as -25 but far and few days of that. Look for normal temps of highs in the 30's to low's around zero. But have seen some 60's in January out there the last few years with the mild winters.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:28 AM

29 posts, read 131,633 times
Default Long Pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by german71 View Post
Looking for info on Long Pine nebraska in brown county.Has anyone been there what jobs are there?Construction and farming is my field of work.Any info appreciated.
I have lived at both ends of the state, and one of the most beautiful places I have been is Long Pine. I can't give you any advice on jobs, as I am a woman, and while my dad was a rancher in western Ne. this farming thing - I have never quite got a firm grip on. But I think Long Pine would be a little more ranching than farming. Farming takes soil, and Long Pine is still more the Sandhills. But I can tell you from a womans point and the fact that my mom grew up in Bassett, that you better be ready to understand that you will have to buy groceries to last almost a month at a time. Even IF they do still have a store in Long Pine , which I don't think they do but I really don't know, the prices are going to be out of sight. So you will have to go to Valentine for the best prices, and Bassett and Ainsworth in a pinch. But I grew up that way, and still have a habit of throwing in way too many vittles in the cart when I hear there is a storm coming, and I live in Norfolk now.And contrary to popular thoughts, milk can be forzen and it is still good, you just have to shake it up before you use it. But I will tell you that if you are a friendly person, you will be met with kindness, the likes of which you have never seen before!! Friends tend to live farther apart, and are needed in many hard times, so don't burn any bridges out there that you may want to cross again one day. My uncles who are in their 70's now, grew up close to there and they explored the canyons and found all sorts of things, including old abandoned stills, arrowheads, and all sorts of wild life. It would be a great place to raise kids, no gangs or the like. But they will have to ride a bus to another town to go to school, and I don't know if that would be Ainsworth or Bassett. Of course if you have no children, that is no biggie!In my opinion, if you are lucky enough to be able to buy a place with a view into the canyons, and plant yourself a strong evergreen tree wind break, there is no more beautiful place in God's Own Cow Country to live!!
Good Luck, Pardner!!

Old 11-25-2007, 12:03 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,557,380 times
A beautiful part of the state!

Old 12-16-2007, 11:57 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
It's been years back, but Long Pine had a very nice rec area along Pine Creek. Don't know if it's still active or not. But I had relatives in Ainsworth and enjoyed fishing for trout on occasion when I'd visit. The town iself is very small, very country, but nice, if that's your thing.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:12 AM

Ainsworth & Basset both have nice grocery stores and prices are not inflated compared to other local stores.

Long Pine itself still has a grocery store, excellent meat there. Very good selection on dry goods also. I don't believe its quite necessary to buy groceries a month in advance. Sure you may be snowed in for a few days if you would choose to live in a more remote area of the sandhills surrounding this region. My experience out there during the winter they are on top of things when it comes to snow removal.

Long Pine has a very nice rec area on the west side of town yet. Also north of town are two very state areas also. Pine Glenn on Long Pine Creek is excellent for trout fishing & hunting. Or wildlife veiwing if that is what you are interested in, you can easlily plan a day's hike and not see the same area twice.

There is also Keller State Park north and west of Long Pine, very nice camping area. Plus many more state WMA's within 30 miles of town that are excellent. Bobcat WMA is very nice especially.

If you have a construction background and wanting to be on your own, you could do quite well in the area I believe.

There is also what used to be known as "The Pines". A small resort along the creek on west of town. The place used to be booming years back, but due to poor management and not keeping up the cabins it has lost its appeal. Might be a good investment if purchased right. I know that you could keep it partially filled with hunters/fisherman in the seasons. And if you started the float trips again on the creek it would appeal to families also again. And if nothing else could be used as a nice little over night stop for travelers also. It also used to have some camping spots available, with electric hookups, you could fill those in the summer also.

One thing for sure, the people are great in the area.

I spend a lot of time in that area through out the year with an outdoors guiding business, the opportunity is endless.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the info the house i bought is on west 6th street have not been able to get out there yet will be soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska