Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:12 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAS36BH View Post
they make Pringles in Winny....more potatos are grownn in Winny then Idaho.

Winnemucca, NV - American Profile (http://www.americanprofile.com/spotlights/article/1056.html - broken link)

Pringles are produced by Proctor ad Gamble in their Jackson, TN facility from potato roll produced in Winnemucca by Winnemucca processing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 09:36 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissylp View Post
Hey Clarks... do you know anything about the area a few miles north of exit 314 in Elko? Ive been trying to see what a well would cost out there... cant find any info on it tho!
I do see that some of the land owners out there have owned the bare land since -for some- the late 70s, but never did anything with it.
I have a 2 acre parcel out there that was recently passed down to me... didnt even know my dad owned it 'til he was gone. Anyway, im heading out there this summer to look at it and decide what to do with it... maybe I too will just let it sit. There have been a few people who have started to build in the recent years (according to assesor records) but Im wondering if its really worth the septic and well installs that will clearly be more costly than any house dropped on the land
Thanks for any insight... you sound like you really know what youre talking about.
C
The 314 exit is Ryndon. The area has been getting fairly built up over the years. There are actually some fairly decent places there now.

As far as your parcel goes what it's like really depends on how far north of I-80 it is. Anything past 2.5mi or so North of the interstate and there's not much in the way of development.

Electric power now runs about 20mi north of I-80. There are a lot of places scattered out in the hills there and the majority of them have power.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,025 times
I have been looking in Paradise Ranchos in Winnemucca and can not find the places you are recommending to look instead could you please repost the names of the places in that area?
Thank you so much!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:36 PM

41 posts, read 60,758 times
Hi all, I just bought this; please tell me good or bad.

Quote:
[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/170778555061?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1497.l2649#ht_86840wt_1265[/url]
Coordinates to the south east corner of my lot: 41.011974 -118.268764

some of the participants on this thread seem very knowledgeable.

My intentions were to retire on this lot in a few years.

thanks for your time.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:35 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,928,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Pringles are produced by Proctor ad Gamble in their Jackson, TN facility from potato roll produced in Winnemucca by Winnemucca processing.
?

what is a potato roll

Old 02-20-2012, 10:16 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuskona View Post
Hi all, I just bought this; please tell me good or bad.

Coordinates to the south east corner of my lot: 41.011974 -118.268764

some of the participants on this thread seem very knowledgeable.

My intentions were to retire on this lot in a few years.

thanks for your time.
One of the more desolate pieces of land in a desolate area. Flat and windblown. The road in is not passable with much rain on it. The wind howls across it like an angry animal.

There is not one redeeming feature to this land, nor to most any land out on one of Nevada's vast flats.

There is a reason none of the original settlers bothered to settle on that land.

Not that you or anyone else seduced by the price and size of the parcel will listen to me, but, your first piece of advice is to only buy in a canyon or hilly region, not on a flat.

Second, wherever you buy you make damned sure there is drinkable water underneath the land at a depth you can afford to drill to.

Third, Exactly what is the surface of the road leading to your parcel, I can tell you, that once you turn off the Sulphur road the road will be unsurfaced and will turn to mud with any precip. If you want to plant railroad ties vertically into the ground every 100 feet, you will be able to access your property, by winching from one tie to the next, dragging your vehicle on its frame miles across the alkalai flat.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
One of the more desolate pieces of land in a desolate area. Flat and windblown. The road in is not passable with much rain on it. The wind howls across it like an angry animal.

There is not one redeeming feature to this land, nor to most any land out on one of Nevada's vast flats.

There is a reason none of the original settlers bothered to settle on that land.

Not that you or anyone else seduced by the price and size of the parcel will listen to me, but, your first piece of advice is to only buy in a canyon or hilly region, not on a flat.

Second, wherever you buy you make damned sure there is drinkable water underneath the land at a depth you can afford to drill to.

Third, Exactly what is the surface of the road leading to your parcel, I can tell you, that once you turn off the Sulphur road the road will be unsurfaced and will turn to mud with any precip. If you want to plant railroad ties vertically into the ground every 100 feet, you will be able to access your property, by winching from one tie to the next, dragging your vehicle on its frame miles across the alkalai flat.
.highnlite, thank you very much for your reply.

One of the reasons I bought this land is not only because of its size but also it's location, We WANT to be off the grid, with that said, the market is low all over the U.S. A 20 acre parcel in Hawaii for example (remote but accessible) can be bought for 50-100k, 400-600k less than it could have been sold for 3 years ago. I interpreted this Nevada land sale as a rat jumping ship before it sinks as many sellers are doing across the USA.

I am a bit skeptical about impassible venues as this region gets less than 1" of rain a month, I suspect I could reach my land any day of the month on a skateboard. ....well maybe not for an hour or so.. on the day it rains it's 1/2' to 1'

as for the wind, well I suspect I will have to build an Igloo domed home (you know, for aerodynamic purposes)

I guess if worse gets to worse and I can't access my parcel due to 1/2" of mud, sulpher, quicksand?, I will add 130 tons of dirt and open a 4wheel drive playground for the good ole boys over yonder in town.

I thank you for your opinion and suggestions, I am planning on buying more land in Nevada, Oklahoma, will look for canyon's or hilly region's.

if anyone else has an opinion of this area or dare I say actually been to this region of Winnemucca please share your thoughts.

Thanks!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:48 PM

I have been over that road many times, the one that runs north past your land. I see you have all the answers so I won't attempt to further dissuade you. but, Nevada is the land where dreams die upon contact with reality.

Besides being a butt ugly piece of land.

I can never figure out why people will choose to buy and live on butt ugly land when even Nevada is full of beautiful land.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I have been over that road many times, the one that runs north past your land. I see you have all the answers so I won't attempt to further dissuade you. but, Nevada is the land where dreams die upon contact with reality.

Besides being a butt ugly piece of land.

I can never figure out why people will choose to buy and live on butt ugly land when even Nevada is full of beautiful land.

If I had all the answers I wouldn't have come here asking questions, capiche?

anyway, sorry I don't agree with everything you stated. it just doesn't make sense, for example the 1" of rain swamp land, at some point common sense has to come into play and reality trumps delusional visions of grandeur.

I didn't come here to argue but to ask opinions, thank you for yours now lets move on...

Old 02-20-2012, 03:04 PM

You don't know alkalai soil now, but you will, you will. 4wheel drive engaged, vehicle moving almost sideways, blowing mud all over the country side, with an inch of mud on the road..

I can tell you that digging a hole in front of your rig, attaching your winch cable to your spare tire, then filling the hole back in, winching up to your tire, digging it up, carrying it another winch cable length, burying it again, winching again, repeatedly for hours upon hours, sucks. But that is what you will do if you have not planted your railroad ties.

Look, there are many great places to live in Nevada, places with some esthetics, just 10 miles north of your land are several fine ranches, (Heck, I nearly left my kid at one of them so they could keep their onsite school, they needed five kids to avoid the 3 hour bus ride each way to school in Denio) but Jungo Flats, ain't one of them.

Now, you can get all hissy, but, instead print out my comments, and take a look at them after you have been out there a year..

Consider yourself warned, not that you will listen.

Nevada is indeed the land of broken dreams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada