Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 07:15 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,758 times

Advertisements

I must say, having Fedex, UPS, satellite internet, and the Schwan man, makes life easier. Our place, unless we return to the Central Coast,, mostly for the house,, will be isolated in the Middle of nowhere in Nevada. Fortunately my wife likes that lifestyle also.. She would like to garden, and where we live now, it is just too cold to garden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 10:39 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,944,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
Jaada,

Thanks much for your feedback.
your welcome about the mercury, i know fallon is loaded with it. especially lake lahontan. not sure about elko but i have heard it before because of the mines.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:13 PM

285 posts, read 785,358 times
If I had to live either in Winnemucca or Elko I would choose Elko. I've recently visited there on my way to Twin Falls. Much more activity and things going on there than Winnemucca. As a said in my earlier post, I grew up in Winnemucca and have a fairly good frame of reference. I believe both have been benefactors in the mining boom over the last several years.

During my recent visit to Elko I drove up Lamoile Canyon situated in the Ruby Mountains. Very Beatifull!!! I remember as a kid backpacking in the Rubys and forgot just how pretty those mountains are. A real gem and very close to Elko.

Although two activities I used to due in Winnemucca - water & snow sking are closer if you live in Winnemucca. Tahoe 3 hours; Rye Patch Resevoir 45 minutes. (If there's water). I'm not sure how long of a drive it is from Elko to the Wasatch ski areas.

Regarding the central coast of California. Love it. Was recently in San Luis touring some wineries. If Califonia real estate ever crashed, I'd attempt to purhcase a future retirement home there.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:00 PM

My wife grew up in Elko,,, so she knows the place,, Northeast Nevada is a great place to be, near Winnemucc or near Elko is good.. We will be isolated,, we prefer that to a town...

The mercury in Lahonton and the Carson River is left over from the Virginia City mills well over 100 years ago. The thinking is that the clean up could cause more problems than leaving in place,, so says the EPA,,

Yes,, The Central Coast is lovely,, In the Spring it is the loveliest landscape on earth to my thinking... But,, too many people..

Old 10-16-2006, 10:43 AM

746 posts, read 1,325,098 times
Default The future of water in Elko and Nevada

I have been looking into Elko as a place to move, and trying to overcome some of the obstacles, particularly the gold mines and their effects on Nevada. However, the more I find, the more reasons I find that moving there would be difficult. For more details take a look at this link about the gold mines, and the resulting future of water in Nevada.

Drier, Tainted Nevada May Be Legacy of Gold Rush
[url]http://www.truthout.org/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi/47/16753

More can be found by looking on the search engines and search images. Here is a brief summary of my understanding of this situation.

First of all, Nevada land has been sold at bargain prices to mining companies, that have come in from Canada and elsewhere. Most of this and the greatest volume of mining has occurred in the last 10-15 years. Along with almost giving the land to the mining companies, Nevada has steadfastly refused to regulate the quality of their operations. There are guidelines for power plants, but no regulations for gold mines.

The mining is done via digging of giant pits, where arsenic and other chemicals are mixed with rock that is heated for extraction of minute pieces of gold based on the volume. The heating causes release of volumes of mercury into the air and water. Some of this is captured and sold. The rest is released into the air and ends up in Idaho and Utah lakes, birds, animals, fish, and in humans. Some of the lakes have more than 100 times the mercury that would normally be found in such regions. Idaho is giving warnings that the fish in these lakes are not edible, because of the mercury.

The pits tend to fill with groundwater. In order to continue with operations, this water needs to be pumped back out of the pits constantly, using more ground water in the process. As the 20 or so major mines are shut down over the next 5 to 15 years, the pits will fill up with ground water and form huge toxic lakes. Some scientists say the amount of groundwater to fill them would take the entire fill of the Humboldt River for 200 years. As the water fills the pits it then evaporates, using more and more of the groundwater that is then lost to the atmosphere.

Thus water shortages are going to be more and more of an issue in Nevada. Add on to this that Las Vegas is extending pipeline into Northern Nevada to bring any extra water from their to their city.

For those interested in property taxes, consider that the remaining residents in Elko and the other mining cities are the ones that will be paying the cleanups for the mines, as the mining companies will be long gone by that time.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:10 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
I must say, having Fedex, UPS, satellite internet, and the Schwan man, makes life easier. .

I have to ask--------------What/who is the Schwan man?

Old 10-16-2006, 04:29 PM

The Schwann man,,, The Schwan man runs around rural Nevada in a Refrigerator truck deliver meat and frozen foods... A welcome and handy guy.... http://www.schwans.com/

Regarding water, gold and Elko... Maybe I should change my tune.... Since I do like empty country, what the heck am I doing trying to explain away any problems.

Nevada has brutal weather, either it is hot as hades or it is cold has hell,, the rancher feed stock in the winter from large hay sleds.

The people hate outsiders, especially Californians,, Especially Californians who own fleece or spandex. They really hate people who drive Hummers or range rovers, they hate anyone who looks like they bought their clothes from LL Bean or Eddie Bauer, the soil is contaminated with nuclear radiation, mercury and will become even more contaminated with the new Sempra Power plant goes on line in the Black Rock Desert, dumping hundreds of tons of crap into the air where it will float to Elko, the mines are full of toxic fluids, when you fly overthem the water can be green, or red, or yellow.

If you have an accident you will bleed to death before the ambulance gets there, the ambulance will be manned by ancient retired Navy guys with beards and bud lites in their hands,,

Oh, and the indians will hate you too.... The smoking rate in Nevada is among the highest in the nation and you can smoke in restaurants and bars.. Prostitution is legal and you children may go to school with the children of a hooker.

Nevada, where beer and gasoline and machinery are cojoined.

You can apply what we say about the thousands of abandoned toxic mines in the state to the state itself; Stay Out and Stay Alive!

If you live in Nevada long enough, you will die.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:41 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
The Schwann man,,, The Schwan man runs around rural Nevada in a Refrigerator truck deliver meat and frozen foods... A welcome and handy guy.... http://www.schwans.com/

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.................................... .Thanks!

Old 10-16-2006, 04:49 PM

285 posts, read 785,358 times
LOL

Good one Greatbasinguide, I might get to like you afterall. My take on this is that if anyone is that concerned with the effects of mining in the vast desert we call Nevada, they better stay in Berkely driving their Range Rover and bad-mouthing their country.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:28 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
snip
Regarding water, gold and Elko... Maybe I should change my tune.... Since I do like empty country, what the heck am I doing trying to explain away any problems.

Nevada has brutal weather, either it is hot as hades or it is cold has hell,, the rancher feed stock in the winter from large hay sleds.

The people hate outsiders, especially Californians,, Especially Californians who own fleece or spandex. They really hate people who drive Hummers or range rovers, they hate anyone who looks like they bought their clothes from LL Bean or Eddie Bauer, the soil is contaminated with nuclear radiation, mercury and will become even more contaminated with the new Sempra Power plant goes on line in the Black Rock Desert, dumping hundreds of tons of crap into the air where it will float to Elko, the mines are full of toxic fluids, when you fly overthem the water can be green, or red, or yellow.
Actually worse...the folks from Gabbs hate the uppities from Tonpah who hate the upper class snobs from Beatty.

Moderator cut: impolite

And then the northerners...Yerrington looks down on anyplace south and snarls at the heathens from places like Gardnerville and Minden. Washoe county is unthinkable gay and snooty...

Quote:

If you have an accident you will bleed to death before the ambulance gets there, the ambulance will be manned by ancient retired Navy guys with beards and bud lites in their hands,,
That actually works out. Slightly drunk exnavy often better than the polished graduates in the Vegas trucks.

Quote:
Oh, and the indians will hate you too.... The smoking rate in Nevada is among the highest in the nation and you can smoke in restaurants and bars.. Prostitution is legal and you children may go to school with the children of a hooker.

Nevada, where beer and gasoline and machinery are cojoined.

You can apply what we say about the thousands of abandoned toxic mines in the state to the state itself; Stay Out and Stay Alive!

If you live in Nevada long enough, you will die.
The Indians are probably the only ones with a legit complaint...and they over play it.

It will also be interesting to see how props 4 and 5 do. 5 is the real smoking ban. 4 is the pub equivalent to prevent 5. Every pub in Nevada has a yes on 4 no on 5 campaign. In the Nevada way both claim to be Smoking limit laws.

Then again it use to be illegal to drive a pickup in rural Texas without a beer between the legs. And rural Canada survives the same problem by having a low enough population density that there is no one to run into.

Last edited by Yac; 10-17-2006 at 07:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada