Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 04:56 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Granite

Where are you in NH? The taxes do appear lower in Moultonboro, but how are the schools up there? Where are the jobs?
I live in Merrimack County, the biggest nearby city being the capitol- Concord. The tax rate in Moultonboro is a bit over $8.00 per $1,000 assessed value compared to around $24.00 per $1,000 assessed value in many towns in Merrimack County, including Concord. Moultonboro Academy has a pretty good reputation and is not a consolidated district like Governor Wentworth in Wolfeboro, although it is held in fairly high regard as well. Moultonboro is more of a retirement destination so most people commute to the southern half of the state for employment, or they are self employed. For instance, it is about a 30-35 minute drive from Meredith (tax rate $13.00 per $1,000), to Concord, but around 45 minutes to get from Moultonboro to Concord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2012, 06:04 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
I agree with the article, NH is a great place to live. I do hope we get normal snow this winter (no freak October storm then nothing) and more rain soon as well! The winter before this past one was great- we got a LOT of snow but it seemed to come down in 6" increments- which was easy to deal with and great for winter sports.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:05 PM

127 posts, read 216,888 times
Moved to Southern NH last October and my family and I love it. You can blame us for the easy winter as we brought the warm weather up from the South.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necraven View Post
Moved to Southern NH last October and my family and I love it. You can blame us for the easy winter as we brought the warm weather up from the South.
Many of us enjoy winter, or we would have stayed in the South! Who knows what this winter will bring

Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Many of us enjoy winter, or we would have stayed in the South! Who knows what this winter will bring
Yep,

One of the reasons I moved here was to actually get enough snow to be able to enjoy winter vs. being stuck inside all season doing nothing.

This past winter was terrible. Cant snowmobile or snowshoe when there is no snow.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:34 PM

18 posts, read 31,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
In the #1 spot, New Hampshire, according to this CNBC article: News Headlines (for the full slideshow, go here: News Headlines)

"Quality of life is solid across the board in the Granite State. The population is among the healthiest, in part because of the quality of the environment".
I can't wait to live there, 69 days and counting until we land in the Nashua area!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-17-2012, 03:54 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
Where are you moving from? What part/town of NH are you moving to? Your 1st post huh? Welcome to City Data. I wish I could say we are moving there! Trying hard. The fight goes on to get to NH. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuncle View Post
I can't wait to live there, 69 days and counting until we land in the Nashua area!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:49 AM

18 posts, read 31,415 times
From the Seattle area to the Nashua area, we both grew up on the Cape and want to get back to New England. We've done a couple of scouting trips over the last few years and love NH, it's everything we want for our family. Choosing Nashua due to proximity to work, we're both in the Corporate world and may end up working in or around Boston. Can't wait for a real autumn!

Old 07-18-2012, 08:07 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,862 times
I'm stuck in the mid-west for the summer and I miss New Hampshire terribly. Maybe the spot we landed in isn't a good sampling of this area, I don't know, but the majority of people we've met here have bad manners and a nosy, small minded mentality. They don't even seem to realize they're being bad mannered, like it's just normal here. Makes me realize how polite people actually are in the Shire! And happy too - these mid-western people don't smile at you. In NH, nearly everyone I make eye contact with smiles - store clerks, people in parking lots, bikers with long beards... I don't think I ever had more than one person not smile back at me in NH. And what I wouldn't give right now to see a mountain.

To me, NH is the best place I've ever been and worth every penny it costs. About the only good thing I can say about this area we're in now is that it's within driving distance of Wyoming and Montana, so we'll be vacationing at Glacier, Grand Teton and Yellowstone this year. That's been on my bucket list for a long while.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
I'm stuck in the mid-west for the summer and I miss New Hampshire terribly. Maybe the spot we landed in isn't a good sampling of this area, I don't know, but the majority of people we've met here have bad manners and a nosy, small minded mentality. They don't even seem to realize they're being bad mannered, like it's just normal here. Makes me realize how polite people actually are in the Shire! And happy too - these mid-western people don't smile at you. In NH, nearly everyone I make eye contact with smiles - store clerks, people in parking lots, bikers with long beards... I don't think I ever had more than one person not smile back at me in NH. And what I wouldn't give right now to see a mountain.

To me, NH is the best place I've ever been and worth every penny it costs. About the only good thing I can say about this area we're in now is that it's within driving distance of Wyoming and Montana, so we'll be vacationing at Glacier, Grand Teton and Yellowstone this year. That's been on my bucket list for a long while.
It sounds like your out in the South Dakota region. A low tax state for sure, but not enough trees and too much heat for me. The Black Hills and Rushmore are great, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire