Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 01:44 PM

16 posts, read 28,454 times

Advertisements

Temporary MA resident looking to return to NH the middle of next year. Moved down just over two years ago when my fiance purchased a townhouse. I HATE living in MA so we are strongly considering NH, though both of our jobs are in MA. He in Burlington, me in Natick. I would hate the commute and will likely have to find new employment in NH, he would be fine, but ideally would like to find work in NH as well. I am looking into basically two towns that would afford an easy commute to Burlington, Nashua and Hudson.

I've been reading various threads re: moving to NH, and it seems like many people think Nashua (& Manchester) are the drudges of NH. I was born and raised in Manchester on the west side (and west of the river) near the piscataqua soccer fields, went to Parker Varney, Parkside and West ('03). My family is still in Manchester and I am up every weekend. I love how revitalized the downtown is becoming, being close to that is a bonus for me.

I don't know much about Nashua, however. What makes it so bad? Isn't one of the high schools fairly new? We are in the transitional age of becoming married, thinking of kids, still enjoy going out but are becoming homebodies, etc. so safe neighborhoods, parks, daycare, schools are becoming important in the decision. What is Hudson like? We will most likely be looking at homes that hover around 200-250k. I browse occasionally and saw very large homes in Hudson reasonably priced, and the taxes weren't outrageous considering a common complaint is how high NH's property taxes are (a larger house in Hudson had the same taxes as a smaller house in MA).

So is Nashua high in crime? Are the schools no good? Do you have to pay for garbage etc? And I rarely saw Hudson recommended, is there something horrible about Hudson I'm not aware of?

I know we are still far off but I like to invest time and research in to my decisions, so I appreciate your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 02:07 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
most people here think Manchester & Nashua are the dregs simply because they don't like cities! Neither are all that bad and actually fine when compared to other states. Of course bothhave rough neighborhoods, but by and large they are ok - if you like cities.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:16 PM

24 posts, read 49,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
most people here think Manchester & Nashua are the dregs simply because they don't like cities! Neither are all that bad and actually fine when compared to other states. Of course bothhave rough neighborhoods, but by and large they are ok - if you like cities.
This.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:31 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,338 times
I live in Londonderry close to Hudson and drive through it and around it a lot and think it is a nice town. I occasionally shop at the Hannaford, True Value and other little stores there on 102. I also like their pretty little common with the bandstand, their parks, and most especially Robinson Pond. The beach there is only open to residents (I park at the boat put-in and enjoy it too), and if you're going to have kids, I think that would be a nice thing to have available. I don't know any of the details of the town, though, like schools/taxes etc., although Alvirne is a beautiful high school - hopefully somebody else has input on that.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:54 PM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
Random thoughts:

If you like Manchester, you'll probably really like Nashua. I've lived in or around Nashua for decades and I'm not wild about Manchester.

There are lots of city services you get from your taxes: good parks, concerts, a summer full of family activities, parks and rec. programs & camps, etc. People without kids are likely to be missing out on most of this. Trash pickup & recycling is included. As is yard waste pickup in the summer. They also collect piles of brush if you call them. Last November they collected all the downed branches from the "snotober" storm.

I don't like the noise from the airport, or the congestion around Spit Brook Rd and DW highway.

My kids are still young but, so far, the public elementary has been awesome in helping my kid who had "issues" in preschool. In our special meetings with the school, all in attendance gave their complete attention and left me thinking these folks are on top of things. I expected much different "sink or swim" attitude. A pleasant surprise.

There are nice quiet neighborhoods throughout the city.

My feeling is Hudson doesn't allow people that don't have visible tattoos, a motorcycle, and/or an old school bus for your lawn.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:25 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,851 times
Once upon a time Hudson was part of Nashua. It's located directly across the Merrimack River from Nashua. It's mostly a bedroom community for Boston commuters. There is work around as BAE Systems is located there.

Hudson has two centers of town. There is the Hudson village, home to town hall and other government offices. And there is Hudson Center, the 5 way intersection at Route 111 and Windham Rd.

Benson's animal farm (zoo) closed in 1987 and is owned by the town now. They frequently rent out the area. The Cole Bros. Circus rented in 2011. This year it's the Kelly Miller Circus. While the town continues to collect $$ in rentals, they have re-opened the area as Benson Park. The trails are maintained and some of the old exhibits are still there, including the monkey house, and the "Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe" house.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:52 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,031 times
I live in Nashua but have spent lots of time in Hudson. I much prefer Nashua. This little city has a lot to offer. There are great parks like Mine Falls and Greeley. There is the Symphony Orchestra. Trash pick up. Community events like the Taste of Nashua and Holiday Stroll. It's an easy commute to Burlington. Lots of shopping/dining options. You can be in a quiet neighborhood (I live right near an apple orchard) or live in a busier section...whatever you prefer. With schools, some districts are better than others so just research that a bit....Bicentennial and Birch Hill are good. Stay away from Dr. Crisp and Ledge St.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:11 PM

73 posts, read 118,722 times
I'm kind of a non-fan of both Nashua and Manchester. I moved to this area from the seacoast about 5 years ago. Prior to the move, I had just always taken for granted being able to hang out in downtown Portsmouth; great place to meet someone and get dinner, or coffee, then maybe decide on a whim to go to the park, go to some shops, get a drink somewhere, etc. - all of that is walkable in that area. It's a place that you can enjoy just walking around with no real plan, because it has a nice ambiance to it. Newburyport is similar, and there are parts of most major cities that are like that too.

Upon moving here and trying to "explore" the downtown areas of both Nashua and Manchester, I quickly realized that I couldn't do that type of stuff there. Manchester's downtown is a little better than Nashua's, but still limited. You can go there and get dinner some place, and maybe walk somewhere else to get drinks...but that's about it. If you're going to a store in either downtown, you pretty much go there and then leave. That's it.

For functional purposes, Nashua is great, actually. I find it easy/convenient for shopping, medical appointments, and all that day-to-day stuff. People complain about 101A a lot, and it is annoying if that's part of your commute to get to the Everett/Rt. 3; but 101A is really not bad at all if you're just going to stores along that strip - it's much less jammed up than South Willow in Manchester, I think.

It's just that "charm" factor that's missing, for me...having an area of the city that's walkable to lots of different stuff, that's nice in and of itself so you don't even have to spend money to enjoy yourself on a nice day.

The walkable, quaint downtown factor is not important to everyone, though. I guess it's all about what you're used to. I was spoiled by Portsmouth, I think, and thought everyone had a place like that close by. Now I know that's not true. At least it's only an hour away.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:14 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,009,031 times
I agree with Maire8 that Nashua needs to improve it's downtown...but it is making progress. They have been having music and movie events downtown. And they are in the beginning stages of planning a new community area along the river. I hope it happens!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:18 PM

491 posts, read 1,372,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maire8 View Post

For functional purposes, Nashua is great, actually. I find it easy/convenient for shopping, medical appointments, and all that day-to-day stuff. People complain about 101A a lot, and it is annoying if that's part of your commute to get to the Everett/Rt. 3; but 101A is really not bad at all if you're just going to stores along that strip - it's much less jammed up than South Willow in Manchester, I think.

The walkable, quaint downtown factor is not important to everyone, though. I guess it's all about what you're used to. I was spoiled by Portsmouth, I think, and thought everyone had a place like that close by. Now I know that's not true. At least it's only an hour away.
Exactly right. I dream of living in greater Portsmouth eventually, but MA jobs are closer to Nashua. Nashua is a good compromise if you want to live in NH, have amenities, and work off rt3 in Ma.

I live off 101a. It's not bad unless you have to commute all the way along it. I'm just a couple miles from the highway on ramp and can sometimes go from my driveway all the way to the highway without hitting a red light. If people think its bad and avoid it, that's great for me.

Tonight we had a minor medical emergency with my kid at 7:30pm. Went to nearby walk-in clinic just a couple miles away and she was out just before they closed at 8:00. Sure beat driving to the ER and spending $100 after waiting hours. We're really lucky to have so much close by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire