Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 08:55 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times

Advertisements

I know it's not a popular concept, but is there anyone who is familiar with (like gotten some) section 8 housing issues?

My nephew who had the motorcycle accident last may is actually doing very well: he can sometimes stand 'unassisted' (ie: using parallel bars) and a few times has (with the bars) walked up to 50 feet, but he still has a lot of cognitive issues. he's not going back to work any time soon (if ever - but there's always hope!). Frankly, to be doing this well in only 6 months is phenomenal considering his original dr's felt he would never make any meaningful movements.

But here's the problem: he's soon going to be kicked out/released from Crotched Mt, probably because they've taken him as far as they can and feel he doesn't need to live there anymore. So where on earth is he supposed to live? his wife is a speech or hearing therapist, so she doesn't make a lot of money. They're going to need to find a handicapped accessible rental in southern NH (maybe Nashua??). She's been living in an RV in my parent's yard all this time - hardly handicapped accessible.

so I'm wondering if section 8 would be something that could be helpful? I know there's usually a multi-year waiting list, but I also know that often someone in dire need (like this) is sometimes punted to the top of the list.

Anyone with experience here??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 02:48 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
I don't know a thing about section 8, but the rest of that story is horrible.

Does Crotched Mt have assisted living somewhere so he isn't just stuck in limbo, or the street?

Old 11-03-2012, 04:06 PM

I don't think they do, or that he would qualify for it. It's how it's been with each facility he's been at: he stays there (Beth Israel, Spaulding Rehab, Spaulding Hospital, now Crotched Mt) as long as he is within their realm of medical need; once he progresses beyond what they offer he moves to the next phase. They feel he is recovered enough that he doesn't need their particular services so he should go to a nursing home, but his wife, mother & sister don't want him there as they kinda know the business (his mother - my sister- is an aide at one, her husband is maintenance at another, his sister is an RN). so... they need to find a handicapped accessible rental that the wife can afford.

They made very little money before the accident: he painted/detailed cars. They were going to sorta be 'gypsies' and move the RV back to TX for the winter and then come up here for summer and pretty much live in the RV. not enough business painting cars in winter in NH.

I have a few friends on medical disability in a couple of other states, so I wondered.... whether that might be an avenue to pursue for them. Friends have been holding fundraisers for them to help cover some costs, there's one in Milford next Saturday (first one I'll be able to attend!).

for as severe head trauma as he had (white matter actually separated from the grey matter with all the shaking in his skull), he's doing really well. At the moment, his brain is doing a lot of re-wiring. which is fascinating albeit frustrating for the family. many memories are back abotu 15 years (he doesn't remember his parents are divorced or than an uncle died - which means shock and grief each time he asks and is told. but it's how the brain works, and he'll move forward and eventually remember).

Old 11-03-2012, 05:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
He needs to apply for Social Security Disability--I can't believe the hospital/rehab social worker hasn't suggested it already!

Depending on his income in his pre-accident job, he should get a check for $800-1600 a month or more. It will also automatically qualify him for Medicare benefits. (How are the medical bills getting paid now?)

Hopefully he was claiming his income and has enough credits, otherwise he'll need to apply for SSI which doesn't pay as much, only $300-500 a month usually. But it's better than nothing.

Generally with Section 8 there is no priority given.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:36 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Call or go to social security and see what he is eligible for, either SSI or SSDI. SSDI is based upon his years of work and is a lot more money while SSI is for anyone and is not much money. They'll be able to look him up by his SS number and see.

Even with SSI, if their combined income is low enough, they'll get food stamps and be eligible for subsidized housing. Apply for section 8 ASAP even though it will take years to get. In the meantime, for a place to live, contact the towns, especially the town he now lives in, as he will have priority there for subsidized housing.

In the subsidized housing, he would be in with elderly and disabled. The apartments are usually tiny and not too good but they are based upon 1/3 of your income and include heat and electricity so it's better than nothing.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:45 PM

annerk: they probably have put in for disability already - I'm sure they got him set for medicaide. I haven't asked details on how she's paying the bills. His income, pre-accident, wasn't a lot - they had to give up their apt in Nashua which was why they were living in the RV in my parents' driveway.

the Section 8 housing was just a thought I had after talking with my sister yesterday. I don't know if they've put in for it or not, I thought maybe I could get some info/insight before I said anything. Tricky part about the town he now lives in.... I don't know if he's listed as a resident of any town! i mean, living in a little RV doesn't leave you with utilities that have to be paid for a particular address (they have a line running to my parents' house). they probably have mail sent c/o my parents but I don't know that Hollis would consider that for anything. They gave up the Nashua address.

I know 'generally' with section 8 there is no priority - but 'generally' is the operative word. I know for a fact some states do have a little 'fudge room'.

basically, I just don't know what their plans are, my sister didn't seem to feel there was anything definite other than 'looking for a handicap accessible apt'. I can talk to my neice next weekend at the benefit (if anyone wants to come to Chapanga's in Milford next Sat night (Nov 10 from 8pm) the restaurant is donating 15% of the night's sales to Chris & Rachel. looks like a $10 suggested door donation.)

Old 11-03-2012, 07:16 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
There are a lot of places to seek help listed here:

Benefits for People with Disabilities | Disability Information | NH Governor's Commission on Disability

Old 11-03-2012, 08:19 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
NH is a bad place to be poor and get hurt. To me the way i read you is maybe in time this guy can become healed enough to be semi productive, but not right now, and not for many years and rather than install him in a place to turn into Mr potatoe head you want, hope and pray he can find some other type of place. But i don't think section 8 is it either. I may be wrong because i can't see, but it doesn't sound like his wife can go to work and leave her husband home all day alone either, and he will need assisted living some how, so his wife can have a break too.

Is he a vet? Does he require a wheel chair? Someone that knows more about law and this sort of thing than me is going to have to get involved pro bono if nothing else. Maybe even a guardian ad litem appointed for him. Roughly what is his age?

He is in NH I take it and you are not..... so what ever i tell you would need to be passed to whom?

This is nothing i do, but I might come up with ideas...

I haven't read annerk yet, and hope there might be some leads to read of there..

Old 11-03-2012, 08:34 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
AFAIK the only way section 8 will issue you a voucher immediately is if you lose your home to a natural disaster. You can get a preference for a disability but they won't give it to you immediately. Nonetheless if you are income-eligible you should apply to the waiting list if it is open.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
NH is a bad place to be poor and get hurt. To me the way i read you is maybe in time this guy can become healed enough to be semi productive, but not right now, and not for many years
true.

Quote:
and rather than install him in a place to turn into Mr potatoe head you want, hope and pray he can find some other type of place.
relatives (like his mom) who work in nursing homes know how poor many of the workers there are. he will not get good care in any of them. they will not put him there if there is any way they can do anything at all.

Quote:
But i don't think section 8 is it either. I may be wrong because i can't see, but it doesn't sound like his wife can go to work and leave her husband home all day alone either, and he will need assisted living some how, so his wife can have a break too.
yes, she can leave him alone during the day. he will be needing therapists daily, so people will be around. It's been very hard on his immediate family as this entire time he has never been alone for a whole day, someone has always been there at least in the evening. His sister even managed to get a job at Spaulding so she could check on him regularly and spend time at the end of her shift with him (but she has a great job in one of the boston hospitals and didn't follow to Crotched. there's only so much following she can do with her career). His mom also goes up after work in the evenings and on every day off she gets. and of course his wife is there as much as she possibly can - every day. He is busy during the day with therapy, but he has a lot of 'sundowning' and loses grip in the evenings and gets confused and a little upset then.

Quote:
Is he a vet? Does he require a wheel chair? Someone that knows more about law and this sort of thing than me is going to have to get involved pro bono if nothing else. Maybe even a guardian ad litem appointed for him. Roughly what is his age?
he's just 32! no, he's not vet. yes, he does require a wheel chair (although he forgets he does - which is a problem). the wheel chair is easy - at least a push chair is. anything motorized would need a vehicle that can handle such a thing and that is really expensive. They are hoping he will not always need the wheelchair, as he is sometimes able to walk maybe 50' with the parallel bars.

Quote:
He is in NH I take it and you are not..... so what ever i tell you would need to be passed to whom?
give me 8 weeks!! I'll be talking with his sister and maybe wife (I'd talk with my sister, but I may not get to see her this next visit - she'll be up with him on her day off; I don't know if he'll remember me yet)

Quote:
This is nothing i do, but I might come up with ideas...
ideas are fine. all I'm trying to do is become educated and maybe pass on some ideas to those closer in. It's all I can do. Once I'm up, the best I can do is try to take over duties with my father -which will make it easier on my sister, since she's been his primary medical overseer (aside from my mother, but she can't get him out of the house to the car and my sister can), so at least she won't feel as torn there. and my mother will be able to visit him since I'll be able to stay with my father. It's about all I can do, which is why I'm trying to think of anything that might help. It's possible they've already thought of these - dunno. can't hurt!

I haven't read annerk yet, and hope there might be some leads to read of there..[/quote]

thanks Jupiter & annerk! I'll look into it - or pass it along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire