Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:47 PM

11 posts, read 61,540 times

Advertisements

Are there any homes for rent in N.H. with landlords accepting section 8 home rental choice vouchers? I have an exciting job transfer waiting for me in Derry, permission from the Calif. courts to move my kids, a great rate on a moving van, and help with the move; but from my computer and telephone here in Calif, I can't seem to find a 3 bdrm house or apt. within 20-25 miles of Derry that will accept section 8. I'm thinking of just driving over anyway before I lose my new job, and stay in a cheap motel while searching for a new home. The Housing Authority in N.H. didn't seem too welcoming (even tho CA is required to pay the monthy rental assistance) and the H.A. here in CA seems like I shouldn't even WANT to relocate. This has been my dream for nearly 8 years! Any suggestions from anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 08:33 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,079 times
Hand outs such as section 8 Are very frowned upon here. Even by the state agency that Has the job of giving them out. A friend of mine worked for the Housing authority in One town For volunteer work and he told me how they would refer to people that came in for section 8 as the rental scum. That is from the people that give out the vouchers. Alot of Landlords won't take section 8 If you tell them you have section 8 the place suddenly becomes rented. Due to Alot of sec 8 people trashing the apartments. People will tell you this is against the law in NH and they are right it is. But Prove that you didn't get the place due to you being sec 8. Not going to happen. So between Trashing apartments, and being scumbags, that live off our tax dollar, like the welfare lifetime scum. People around here Just don't like sec 8. Even if you are just using it to get ahead and back on your feet temporally.(which you will find no one here minds, we all need help every now and then) The ones that abuse the system and take advantage of the help have destroyed the reputation, and feelings toward any that use it. Weather you are like the others or not, you will be treated as them. But if you push it All rentals in NH can take section 8, but the state must check them first. for lead etc. If I was you I would try Mass and Commute north. they tend to be more liberal with there tax money and such. Where NH people will help, but we don't like to see our money wasted on such things normaly. Especially when it is so abused.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:40 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,348 times
Default Residence Inn maybe?

I would come any way. Like you said, you can stay at a motel until you get straightened out with a place. The previous poster nailed it good for explaining it all up here, he/she's right on the money with how it is here. It's definitely against the law though, they're not supposed to even whisper this stuff out like this, but they do any way and get away with it. Massachusetts has section 8 apartments all over the state, you'd have no problems or issues there at all.

Hopefully you can find a temporary place near Derry to live for the time being. What about checking the Marriott's Residence Inn's to see what they offer for accomodations, I guess they have a great reputation for long term people or even a few weeks, you could get a good rate I bet. Also, see if there's one even close by to that area where you're going to be settling?

Good luck!

Old 05-16-2007, 05:49 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,690,706 times
wincor4 -
I'm sending you a pm.

Is that better, nhyrnut? By the way, I really liked your post. I didn't like it, but I liked it, if you know what I mean. Direct and honest and helpful info, too.

Last edited by swbtoo; 05-16-2007 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 05-16-2007, 07:38 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
wincor4 -
I'm sending you a pm.

Is that better, nhyrnut? By the way, I really liked your post. I didn't like it, but I liked it, if you know what I mean. Direct and honest and helpful info, too.
Ya LOL, Thanks It is nice to see you in NH every now and then. You have good info yourself. And Deliver it a little softer than I tend to.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:42 PM

4 posts, read 27,922 times
Seaction 8 has a very long waiting list here in NH. Better to get on the list for low income housing, which is a different program. Still a wait but shorter, 4-6 months, I think, but that's in Cheshire County not Rockingham County. Have you contacted the Rockingham County Housing Authority? You don't have to be here to get on the list.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:09 PM

15 posts, read 69,662 times
All I can do is offer wishes for good luck. Section 8 housing is hard to find and preferences are given to homeless people first - we've got 20,000 of them here in NH. My husband and I have been on the list for 5 years and we're still waiting. I'll pray for you, you pray for us! Good luck and best wishes!

Old 01-26-2012, 12:49 AM

2 posts, read 16,598 times
Well I must say that the person talking about scum for people receiving section 8 Is sadly the most ignorant person in nh. Did you know that 70% of men and women and even elderly that are on section 8 work? Thats right work. It is so sad that you are all so uneducated about real life. Maybe NH should work on child support laws like Mass does. And all these dead beats dad's and mom's should be found. The sad thing is you are all just adult bullies with extremely feeble minds. That one day very soon will need help and I pray that you all get ridiculed, and starve and possibly freeze to death, cause karma will be coming for you....

Old 01-26-2012, 12:54 AM

2 posts, read 16,598 times
I also must add that refusing to rent to someone is called " discrimination" and may you all reap what you sow.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:50 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinformed View Post
Well I must say that the person talking about scum for people receiving section 8 Is sadly the most ignorant person in nh. Did you know that 70% of men and women and even elderly that are on section 8 work? Thats right work. It is so sad that you are all so uneducated about real life. Maybe NH should work on child support laws like Mass does. And all these dead beats dad's and mom's should be found. The sad thing is you are all just adult bullies with extremely feeble minds. That one day very soon will need help and I pray that you all get ridiculed, and starve and possibly freeze to death, cause karma will be coming for you....

Sorry , but NH is not a nanny state. We work hard for our money and like to keep as much of it as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire