Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2008, 07:32 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,033,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
I am in the begining stages of learning. I just finished my pajama bottoms. Sewing is hard stuff.
Good for you! Ok, you're probably finding it hard for 2 reasons: #1 you think you have to sew straight seams and you're probably obsessing on keeping them straight. That's kinda like learning to drive and thinking you have to keep the car perfectly straight in the middle of the road and never waver! When you're first learning, you stare at the middle of the hood trying so hard to keep it in line, as you get comfortable you realize it doesn't matter that much as long as you stay in your lane and learn to look more ahead. Same in sewing. Don't worry about super straight seams: they aren't important unless you're sewing something really tight! Wavering is fine, just don't go too far off or you have to use the seam ripper (we all do!) and take it back a bit. So don't obsess on that.

#2 the second thing that is probably making it seem hard are the pattern instructions. The instructions are written by a tech writer who is not the person who designed the pattern!! and the companies are well known for having inscrutable instructions. It's probably not you, they can be wacky. Luckily pajama bottoms are fairly easy and a reasonable thing to start on. You just have the two inner seams, the side seams and hemming it. Personally, I seldom get putting on an elastic waistband that easily - I usually just fold over the top into a casing and pull the elastic through with a safety pin! Loose fit things are good to start on. I like starting people on a nice comfy flannel nightgown (pretty shapeless, but you learn how it feels).

Just like driving, it really only takes practice to learn to be comfortable with the machine. The rest just comes; don't sweat the small stuff at the beginning (it really isn't important!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 12:03 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,292 times
Hello to everyone.

WOW!!!!! No posts in here since 10-5-08!!!!!!

What happened to everyone?

Hope that all is well with all of you.

Take Care,
njguy

Old 10-09-2008, 02:27 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,451,364 times
Hi njguy!
You're right, nothing but crickets in here....
Hope you're well too!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Hello to everyone.

WOW!!!!! No posts in here since 10-5-08!!!!!!

What happened to everyone?
well... FallFanatic is on vacation in MT, the party ended and a lot of people got miffed.

Some of us are still here, though. Thanks for checking!

Old 10-10-2008, 07:01 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,147 times
Glad you asked, njguy.

Apparently there were complaints, or some sort of issue that the NH board was becoming too chatty & off-topic Threads were closed, feelings were hurt & although a request for a chat sub-forum was made (one where there could be multiple threads like many states have multiple geographical areas), that was denied and many regulars have regrouped elsewhere.

Many of us continue to check into City-Data to help when we can, and answer those who have questions. But the goofy, silly and just plain fun stuff is gone now...

Old 10-13-2008, 06:59 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Glad you asked, njguy.

Apparently there were complaints, or some sort of issue that the NH board was becoming too chatty & off-topic Threads were closed, feelings were hurt & although a request for a chat sub-forum was made (one where there could be multiple threads like many states have multiple geographical areas), that was denied and many regulars have regrouped elsewhere.

Many of us continue to check into City-Data to help when we can, and answer those who have questions. But the goofy, silly and just plain fun stuff is gone now...
Hi Valerie - Nice to hear from you. Yes, I did know all about what you mentioned but still not much activity even in this thread either as of late. Maybe you could find a huge house for all of us to move into and be together that way. I long for those "goofy, silly and just plain fun stuff" threads/posts now as the people/friends that have posted in the NH forum are wonderful human beings.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:12 PM

142 posts, read 573,512 times
Hi Everyone, Hmmm been down in New York all summer, finally got our house sold!!! Haven't been in touch where did everyone go??? I hope everyone is well.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:41 PM

Welcome back! Hey, congrats on the sale. that's a big thing to get that done now.

I'm still here!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:51 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,451,364 times
Hi roerinaci and congratulations on selling your house!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 09:10 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,147 times
Hi roeinaci--CONGRATS on getting that house sold That's HUGE and I'm sure a big relief

Quote:
Originally Posted by roerinaci View Post
Hi Everyone, Hmmm been down in New York all summer, finally got our house sold!!! Haven't been in touch where did everyone go??? I hope everyone is well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire