Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 07:40 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times

Advertisements

Just wondering because I keep seeing reading that Hampton Beach can't find enough workers so places are cutting back on their hours. Same with the Cape and Old Orchard. These sound like the typical summer jobs high school and college kids used to do. (Dumb jobs with low pay but--you are at the BEACH!)

In their explanations, the employers said that it was due to something from the state department that was preventing them from getting workers from the Dominican Republic but they are still getting students from eastern Europe.

I still don't get it. Are these the same jobs that American kids used to do? They say they can't find American kids to do the jobs. Why? Has the pay gone down relative to what it used to be? Are American kids too lazy and spoiled? Are there so many good summer jobs for the American kids that they don't want to take these jobs? Any ideas?

Last edited by in_newengland; 06-11-2017 at 10:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 08:17 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
I think it's a combination of factors. The immigration argument is a crutch for some of the larger economic factors. One of the biggest problems with these seasonal jobs is that wages haven't kept pace with the cost of housing in these areas. Where will the seasonal workers live?

I have twin sons who are 20 and home from college. So they fit the target demographic, however, they already have jobs working for a parking garage company in Boston. They make $15.00 per hour and work 45 hours per week (5:00 AM - 2:00 PM, Mon-Fri), so they are getting some overtime, and grossing over $700 in a typical week. They live at home and drive one of the family cars in to work each day. My wife makes them lunch every day!

Now, they might be interested in working on Cape Cod or in Maine for the summer, I seem to recall my sister did it for one summer back in the '80s. But they almost certainly wouldn't be getting $15.00 per hour, they probably wouldn't get 40 hours per week, they would most likely have to work on weekends and where would they live? Share a run-down rental with 4 other guys for $1500 per week? I think they would probably say no thanks. Living at home with Mom & Dad in their own bedrooms and having weekends off is more appealing.

It's not a matter of being lazy, they're leaving the house before 4:30 AM to open up each day. Are they spoiled? Maybe a little bit, I do take money from them each year to cover car expenses and they are fortunate to have made the contacts to have worked at this company for over 4 years now. The bigger issue is that in a good economy there are other, often better, jobs for young people (of any nationality) to pursue instead. Couple that with the high cost of living in New England and I think you have the answers.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:33 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
It's a combination of things. Resorts like to hire folks on H2B temporary visas because they claim they can't find anyone to do the work for the wage they are offering. H2B visas are limited to 66K annually and the resorts down south tend to take those employees first. Also those employees can work beyond the 2-3 months that high school and college kids are available.

Now some kids may want those summer jobs but given a choice of earning $11 an hour washing dishes in a hot kitchen versus $11 an hour working in an air conditioned mall store, many take the latter. Further, if you aren't from the area and take the job, you may have to add in the cost of rent in a resort area. Lastly, many college kids are more interested in working internships that give them real world exposure to their chosen field. My college aged son will be working for a cutting edge bio-tech firm this summer that may lead directly to a job in a couple of years. It pays much more than minimum wage and looks much better on a resume.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:49 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Lastly, many college kids are more interested in working internships that give them real world exposure to their chosen field.
Yep. High school kids too. If they want to get into college, what looks better to school..... washing dishes or an internship/volunteering at a non-profit? Kids are constantly building resumes to get into the schools they want. Competition is very, very high.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:01 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,715 times
it is easier to complain about not having money for Americans today than it is to actually go and earn it

Old 06-02-2017, 11:18 AM

I didn't realize things had changed so much. When I was in college my dad made me work for low pay in a factory "so you'll know what it's like and you'll appreciate it when you get a good job."

A NON air conditioned factory! Where the machines caught fire on a regular basis! grrrrrrr.

His dad had done the same thing to him--so he would get his education and never work in a factory.

But also, it wasn't as hard to get into college as it is today. You could always get into a state college. I would have LOVED to work at any sort of job at a BEACH! They provided you with a place to stay, you got room mates but you were only a kid so you put up with it.

I can't believe that EVERY kid has got a high paying Boston job or a great internship and there are NO kids who want to work? Aren't there any people anywhere who would want a summer job at the beach? Aren't there kids who aren't going to college who would take a job? Unemployed people who would take a temporary job? I had no idea they were importing visa workers to do these summer beach jobs around here.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:17 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
it is easier to complain about not having money for Americans today than it is to actually go and earn it
While there is some of that, I'm sure, but it's most likely more complicated than that.

First of all, we are a graying state. There are less high school and college kids than there were 30-40 years ago. Less of a pool to choose from.

Second, the economy is roaring. Kids have choices. Higher pay or beach? Higher pay probably wins out. Work that will help them get into a field that interests them? That probably wins out.

Third, how much are these employers actually paying? There might be a mindset still on paying seasonal, low skill workers a ridiculously low wage when the market won't support it.

Fourth, big gov has cracked down on youth/teenager work rules since I was a teenager in the 80s. Age restrictions/hours/types of work.

Fifth, I speculate that kids these days are doing more summer study abroad and internship opportunities than in the past. That takes away from the pool.

Sixth, there are lazy teenagers out there who are perfectly content to sit in the basement all summer playing XBox. There is a real stigma among a large section of the millennial generation who do not want to do blue collar manual labor. Many don't want to work outside and many don't want to get their hands dirty.

I counsel college kids for a living and used to be a college career advisor as well. I like to believe I'm pretty tuned in to what's going on.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:58 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,544,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
While there is some of that, I'm sure, but it's most likely more complicated than that.

First of all, we are a graying state. There are less high school and college kids than there were 30-40 years ago. Less of a pool to choose from.

Second, the economy is roaring. Kids have choices. Higher pay or beach? Higher pay probably wins out. Work that will help them get into a field that interests them? That probably wins out.

Third, how much are these employers actually paying? There might be a mindset still on paying seasonal, low skill workers a ridiculously low wage when the market won't support it.

Fourth, big gov has cracked down on youth/teenager work rules since I was a teenager in the 80s. Age restrictions/hours/types of work.

Fifth, I speculate that kids these days are doing more summer study abroad and internship opportunities than in the past. That takes away from the pool.

Sixth, there are lazy teenagers out there who are perfectly content to sit in the basement all summer playing XBox. There is a real stigma among a large section of the millennial generation who do not want to do blue collar manual labor. Many don't want to work outside and many don't want to get their hands dirty.

I counsel college kids for a living and used to be a college career advisor as well. I like to believe I'm pretty tuned in to what's going on.

Yes we are a graying state.. I agree. But as someone who sees young adults in the workforce I see very little in way of work ethic. We have been through ten temps is the last three weeks. They come in, find they are actually expected to perform rather than play with their phones and they leave. Sure they have choices, and choosing not to work is one of them I guess, but all choices come with consequences. Degrees and internships are great, but they will only get you so far, WORK shows what you are, what you are made of, and sorry to say most don't want to work, whether it be blue collar or white collar, high tech or menial labor.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:35 PM

It's a good lesson for them to work at a menial job. There are quite a few summers between the last two of high school and the end of college so they could spend ONE summer working at a menial job. Maybe when they grow up they'd know what it's like to mow a lawn or shovel snow instead of paying someone to do it for them. How are they ever going to learn? And, showing up for a job proves that you have a work ethic.

So they are doing better things, some of them at least. And others are in mom's basement. So we have to import foreign workers. It's a shame that kids in other parts of the country couldn't somehow be transported out here, poor kids who might want a job. I mean, even at the CAPE, they can't find kids to work for the summer. Some kid from places we keep hearing about, like West Virginia, wouldn't like a chance to spend the summer working at the Cape? Housing is provided, according to the articles I read.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:56 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Yes we are a graying state.. I agree. But as someone who sees young adults in the workforce I see very little in way of work ethic. We have been through ten temps is the last three weeks. They come in, find they are actually expected to perform rather than play with their phones and they leave. Sure they have choices, and choosing not to work is one of them I guess, but all choices come with consequences. Degrees and internships are great, but they will only get you so far, WORK shows what you are, what you are made of, and sorry to say most don't want to work, whether it be blue collar or white collar, high tech or menial labor.
I have a 21 year old nephew who has that exact problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire