Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 05:37 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABtdot View Post
Is Portsmouth a lot nicer than Manchester ? Heard housing is expensive there and it is just 25k ppl there
Downtown Portsmouth has a lot more to do than Manchester. It is more expensive as is expected for a seaside location.

You could spend a similar amount, be closer to Boston with a similar commute, and easy access to hundreds of spots to enjoy versus tens in NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 01:47 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
I am assuming car instalment and rent are the only major costs there. Since the car insurance and other expenses are super low in USA.

Car registration here, which is only a euphemism for excise tax, can be expensive if you own a nice, new car. Also, be sure to ask if your rent includes heat.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:57 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Is Portsmouth a lot nicer than Manchester ? Heard housing is expensive there and it is just 25k ppl there
Yes. Manchester gives off a more rust belt/industrial town vibe.. No foot traffic, not a lot to do. Portsmouth is an awesome town. Coffee shops, bars, a legitimate culinary scene, and harbor side restaurants abound.. The core feels far, far more expansive than 25k, as it serves as the downtown to a population closer to 200k. It's a really nice part of the country, recently discovered by a fair amount of young professionals. It's destination 1.0 for millennials who can no longer take the cost of living in downtown Boston (though, it's not cheap). And, New Hampshire is a lot of fun.. Some beautiful beaches in Rye, great hiking in the White Mountains, and Lake Winnipesaukee is one of my favorite vacation lakes in the US.. Home to presidents and extreme wealth (think the likes of the Mariott family), but also down to earth with plenty of weekend rentals.

Portsmouth will feel like you're living in an upscale neighborhood of Boston, but you can always head to Boston on weekend to get the full city experience. Or take a trip up to Portland (which will feel like, in size, two Boston neighborhoods instead of one )

https://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/04/t...smouth-nh.html
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...st-small-town/
https://newengland.com/today/travel/...urants-dining/

Word of caution: Portsmouth is a lot quieter between November-April. Like, really quiet. So, make it a priority to pick up skiing, save some cash for Airbnbs in Boston, take a few trips back to Toronto. You won't want to leave in the summer, and you won't want to stay in the winter.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:03 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
You could live closer to Boston say in Medford, MA and commute 45 minutes to an hour to Manchester if you want more city life. You will have to pay the 5.05% income tax to MA but you'll have to decide whether it's worth it to you.

There's always Portsmouth, NH that will allow you to save the income tax and still have the 45-60 minute commute.
If Portsmouth is not the pick, then I'd suggest the same..

Medford itself isn't exactly exciting (former blue collar inner ring suburb turned student/young professional sleeping quarters). But, Medford puts you in sniffing distance to Somerville/Cambridge which are great, and gives you public transportation options and an easy Uber to Boston. Davis Sq, Central Sq, Union Sq, and Harvard Sq are hot spots for young professionals. Plenty to do to keep you occupied on weekends- Great beer scene, and what you've likely come to expect from a culinary perspective coming from Toronto. Also, very progressive, well educated, etc.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:26 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Hmmm... fair warning that Boston isn't particularly close to Manchester, and I-93 has horrible traffic between the two cities during commuting hours anyway; traffic much better on weekends.

Exeter, NH is a real nice town, decently commutable to Manchester along Rte 101 (about 30 mins drive), it has some life in the downtown - cafes, restaurants and pubs, a big Hannaford's supermarket, and it is close to some real nice NH beaches in Rye, NH, and close to charming Portsmouth, NH, Durham, NH, Kittery, ME and Boston, MA for weekend visits. Exeter also offers a train to Boston. It's less expensive than Portsmouth, but still more than Manchester.

Old 09-07-2019, 04:34 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
My only concern about Manchester, NH is that it does have crime issue and its too far from Boston
Live in Manchester or surrounding towns. Done.

If you wish to "experience" Boston. Drive down and rent a hotel room for the night. Once you have been to Boston a couple of times - the thrill will be gone. There is nothing special about Boston except that it is a bigger Manchester. And a tad bit of revolutionary history.

Living in Manchester is fine if you find a nice place in a nice neighborhood.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:52 AM

89 posts, read 126,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Live in Manchester or surrounding towns. Done.

If you wish to "experience" Boston. Drive down and rent a hotel room for the night. Once you have been to Boston a couple of times - the thrill will be gone. There is nothing special about Boston except that it is a bigger Manchester. And a tad bit of revolutionary history.

Living in Manchester is fine if you find a nice place in a nice neighborhood.
Ditto.

Portsmouth can be nice but is pricey and overrated in my opinion but to each their own. You may want to look at renting in Exeter or Dover if you want to frequent Ports, Boston and still work in Manchester.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:00 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmic View Post
Ditto.

Portsmouth can be nice but is pricey and overrated in my opinion but to each their own. You may want to look at renting in Exeter or Dover if you want to frequent Ports, Boston and still work in Manchester.
Portsmouth *is* very nice, but with the big runup in prices, these days it's a place for a household income in the six-figures range, plus it's just too far for a reasonable daily commute into Manchester. Personally I'd either find a nice neighborhood in Manchester or live in Exeter.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:58 PM

16 posts, read 12,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Downtown Portsmouth has a lot more to do than Manchester. It is more expensive as is expected for a seaside location.

You could spend a similar amount, be closer to Boston with a similar commute, and easy access to hundreds of spots to enjoy versus tens in NH.
Yeah I wanted to get a 2 bedroom rental so as to have an extra guest room for friends and family who visit.
Nothing less than 2000 a month. How about Dover ?
I assume from Portsmouth to Manchester would be like an hour every day
I guess saving 5% on income tax is better too haha

Old 09-07-2019, 03:00 PM

16 posts, read 12,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmic View Post
Ditto.

Oh right, how's Dover ? Is it nice and happening ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire