Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 08:14 PM

16 posts, read 12,681 times

Advertisements

I am 28 year old single guy fro Toronto, Canada. My company is moving me to Manchester, NH .
The office is in Manchester and I am researching where exactly should I be living.

I am a city boy, love walking to coffee shops, going out every now and then. I do like being near bars, coffee shops and grocery shops. I will be buying a car as well and I would like to be closer to Boston so that I can always uber back after a bar night in Boston.

I need help with the following:

Is 95k a good salary to be in Southern NH ?

What would be the best place for me to be ? I drove around Nashua and found its downtown lame, again I was there only for 2 hours and I drove around main street. Is there any other place that would be good like Salem ? My only concern about Manchester, NH is that it does have crime issue and its too far from Boston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 10:07 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,177,484 times
Really the only place that comes close to your requirements is Manchester. Uber estimate of the base fare to Manchester from Boston is $92.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:27 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,211,637 times
yes - 95k is a very good salary to be in southern NH. "City" near where my property is consists of 25k people... so everything is relative.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:32 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
You could live closer to Boston say in Medford, MA and commute 45 minutes to an hour to Manchester if you want more city life. You will have to pay the 5.05% income tax to MA but you'll have to decide whether it's worth it to you.

There's always Portsmouth, NH that will allow you to save the income tax and still have the 45-60 minute commute.

Last edited by robr2; 09-01-2019 at 11:42 AM..

Old 09-01-2019, 01:55 PM

89 posts, read 126,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABtdot View Post
I am 28 year old single guy fro Toronto, Canada. My company is moving me to Manchester, NH .
The office is in Manchester and I am researching where exactly should I be living.

I am a city boy, love walking to coffee shops, going out every now and then. I do like being near bars, coffee shops and grocery shops. I will be buying a car as well and I would like to be closer to Boston so that I can always uber back after a bar night in Boston.

I need help with the following:

Is 95k a good salary to be in Southern NH ?

What would be the best place for me to be ? I drove around Nashua and found its downtown lame, again I was there only for 2 hours and I drove around main street. Is there any other place that would be good like Salem ? My only concern about Manchester, NH is that it does have crime issue and its too far from Boston
$95K for a single person should be fine. Manchester/Nashua is nothing like Toronto so sorry to say but you will be taking a huge step down. You will have to have a car and Ubering from NH to Boston will get expensive really quickly.

Old 09-03-2019, 09:28 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Post On average, you may be safer in Manchester than in Toronto.

Quote:
My only concern about Manchester, NH is that it does have crime issue and its too far from Boston
On average, you may be safer in Manchester than in Toronto.

Not a lot of options for walkable coffee shops in neighborhoods in New Hampshire, and anywhere this side of the border is going to be an expensive Uber ride from Boston.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
On average, you may be safer in Manchester than in Toronto.

Not a lot of options for walkable coffee shops in neighborhoods in New Hampshire, and anywhere this side of the border is going to be an expensive Uber ride from Boston.
Yeah I was on the restaurant and bar strip of Manchester and it was empty even during the day.

At night went to this speak easy bar and that one was super good

Old 09-04-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmic View Post
$95K for a single person should be fine. Manchester/Nashua is nothing like Toronto so sorry to say but you will be taking a huge step down. You will have to have a car and Ubering from NH to Boston will get expensive really quickly.
I will be bringing my car from Toronto . But asking that for the nights I plan to party in Boston and be tipsy

Old 09-04-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmic View Post
I am assuming car instalment and rent are the only major costs there. Since the car insurance and other expenses are super low in USA.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
You could live closer to Boston say in Medford, MA and commute 45 minutes to an hour to Manchester if you want more city life. You will have to pay the 5.05% income tax to MA but you'll have to decide whether it's worth it to you.

There's always Portsmouth, NH that will allow you to save the income tax and still have the 45-60 minute commute.
Is Portsmouth a lot nicer than Manchester ? Heard housing is expensive there and it is just 25k ppl there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire