Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 06:49 AM

89 posts, read 126,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABtdot View Post
Oh right, how's Dover ? Is it nice and happening ?
Knowing what I know now if I were single and looking for a place to go out periodically (Ports/Bos) and still be affordable I'd pick Exeter. You should be able to find something there affordable yet be 20 mins from downtown Ports and roughly 30/45 min to Manchester depending on where you are working. Dover is nice too but Exeter to Manchester will be a straight shot down 101. Dover will incorporate more side roads and a longer commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 07:30 AM

12,611 posts, read 9,745,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmic View Post
Knowing what I know now if I were single and looking for a place to go out periodically (Ports/Bos) and still be affordable I'd pick Exeter. You should be able to find something there affordable yet be 20 mins from downtown Ports and roughly 30/45 min to Manchester depending on where you are working. Dover is nice too but Exeter to Manchester will be a straight shot down 101. Dover will incorporate more side roads and a longer commute.
Yep, not only is Exeter closer, but Rte 101 is a nice divided highway, 2 lanes going each way - you can drive safely and quickly on that. Dover is a cool little town, but daily commuting to Manchester from there - I just don't see why you'd move there to do that.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-08-2019 at 08:14 AM..

Old 09-08-2019, 07:33 PM

16 posts, read 12,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yep, not only is Exeter closer, but Rte 101 is a nice divided highway, 2 lanes going each way - you can drive safely and quickly on that. Dover is a cool little town, but daily commuting to Manchester from there - I just don't see why you'd move there to do that.
Could you recommend some condo or apartment buildings in Exeter downtown that I should check out ?

Old 09-09-2019, 07:51 AM

435 posts, read 419,362 times
I would head to Newmarket.
Not as stuffy/preppy as Exeter, lots of college students, fun funky downtown.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Could you recommend some condo or apartment buildings in Exeter downtown that I should check out ?
Windsor Crossing are nice condos in Exeter, recently built - both townhouse and some apartment style, and very efficient to get out to Rte 101 for the commute and to Hannafords Supermarket off Holland Way. There are a number of big apartment buildings near the river, within walking distance of the nice downtown, off Chestnut St - that'd be a nice place to be in really if you like to walk around - the river is pretty and there is a brewpub and some nice cafes there that back to the water, I think one of the apartment complexes is called Exeter Mill. Also if you check some rental websites, there are also lots of big older homes that have 2-3 apartments in them downtown.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-09-2019 at 02:53 PM..

Old 09-09-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
I would head to Newmarket.
Not as stuffy/preppy as Exeter, lots of college students, fun funky downtown.
Newmarket is a cool little town. Two things tho - (a) it's 10-15 mins further from Manchester, that's 20-30 mins extra to sit in the car on the daily grind of commuting each day and (b) the OP is from Toronto, so even Exeter will be a small town for him and Exeter is much bigger than Newmarket. In any case he can easily check out both if he visits on a househunting trip, Newmarket is just up Rte 108 from Exeter.

There is a cool little bar in Newmarket called "The Stone Church" that has some live music, mostly local bands but also some name acts now and then:
https://stonechurchrocks.com/

Another cool place to check out is the Portsmouth Music Hall:
https://www.themusichall.org/

Old 09-09-2019, 06:52 PM

16 posts, read 12,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Newmarket is a cool little town. Two things tho - (a) it's 10-15 mins further from Manchester, that's 20-30 mins extra to sit in the car on the daily grind of commuting each day and (b) the OP is from Toronto, so even Exeter will be a small town for him and Exeter is much bigger than Newmarket. In any case he can easily check out both if he visits on a househunting trip, Newmarket is just up Rte 108 from Exeter.

There is a cool little bar in Newmarket called "The Stone Church" that has some live music, mostly local bands but also some name acts now and then:
https://stonechurchrocks.com/

Another cool place to check out is the Portsmouth Music Hall:
https://www.themusichall.org/

You are absolutely correct, for me even manchester is a small city haha

Even Toronto suburbs like Mississauga and North York are much bigger than Manchester. So I do want something lively, noisy but safe.

Sure, I ll keep Newmarket and Exeter both in my search

Old 09-10-2019, 05:02 AM

Quote:

Even Toronto suburbs like Mississauga and North York are much bigger than Manchester. So I do want something lively, noisy but safe.

This might just be me, but I moved a number of times earlier in my career, and each time I initially found myself missing the things that had made my last place special for me. What I found I had to do was to let go of a quest for trying to replicate the old place in the new (which never worked - it's a different place!), and to adapt my thinking by asking myself - okay, what can I appreciate about this new place? how can I best enjoy it? My suggestion is, if you want to be happy, think creatively, be open to new things, new interests and new hobbies, to seeing beauty in different forms.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:42 PM

89 posts, read 126,687 times
Quote:

Nothing in NH will compare to Totonto, so be prepared. Boston is decent size but not as big as Toronto so like Outdoorlover said find stuff in NH you will like because you will never be able to replicate Toronto in NH. Don't mean to sound negative but that is just the way it is.

Like some said, New Market is nice (very small) but really nice. I'd go with Exeter myself. Either way good luck.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:16 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,387,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranmic View Post
Nothing in NH will compare to Totonto, so be prepared. Boston is decent size but not as big as Toronto so like Outdoorlover said find stuff in NH you will like because you will never be able to replicate Toronto in NH. Don't mean to sound negative but that is just the way it is.

Like some said, New Market is nice (very small) but really nice. I'd go with Exeter myself. Either way good luck.
I agree with this assessment. I doubt that a person used to big cities and wanting city life is going to be happy in NH, even Manchester. There's no comparison. We are not known for our cities.

Exeter and Newmarket aren't even cities. They are towns. If someone wants city life, they will not be happy there, even in "downtown". You didn't like Nashua and that's a decent sized city. Portsmouth is small by those standards too.

I say downtown Manchester for you, and I'm betting you'll be underwhelmed even there. It's the biggest and most happening city we have. As far as the crime, it comes with the "big" city. It's why I choose not to live in a city.

I don't think people move to NH for the city life. I know you are here for work and we would probably not be on your short list of states otherwise. Manchester is the best city in a state not known for it's big, happening cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire