Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 06:32 AM

14 posts, read 65,865 times

Advertisements

Having just moved here from California with no winter wear at all, we've been told to outfit our 3 young kids with winter gear BEFORE the snow starts to avoid the mad scramble when it's too late. Does anyone have any good suggestions of where to find well-priced infant, toddler-sized, and adult snow gear? We've thought of Dick's or Sports Authority or ski shops but I know those places are outrageously priced. All the other department-store type places have your standard jackets, gloves, hats. We're looking for snowsuits, snow boots, mitten clips, etc. Any suggestions or advice would be welcomed. Also, we're located in Windham, but we're open to a drive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 07:39 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,702,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali2east View Post
Having just moved here from California with no winter wear at all, we've been told to outfit our 3 young kids with winter gear BEFORE the snow starts to avoid the mad scramble when it's too late. Does anyone have any good suggestions of where to find well-priced infant, toddler-sized, and adult snow gear? We've thought of Dick's or Sports Authority or ski shops but I know those places are outrageously priced. All the other department-store type places have your standard jackets, gloves, hats. We're looking for snowsuits, snow boots, mitten clips, etc. Any suggestions or advice would be welcomed. Also, we're located in Windham, but we're open to a drive!
Not sure what is located around Windham, but if you want to make a drive to the Seacoast, in Kittery Maine is the Trading Post on Rte 1 - they have a selection of anything from clothing to hunting, to any sports related items you need. Although you pay sales tax, you can almost spend 3 hours or so looking through all the areas. Right next to it is several other outlet stores (Timberland is one I remember and Levis). I highly suggest that or go to Freedom Maine to LL Bean or North Conway to the outlet stores.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:57 AM

132 posts, read 356,281 times
I don't live there YET but wanted to say LL Bean in Maine is in Freeport not Freedom. I think Freedom is a nice little town in NH, right guys? Anyways, great winter gear if not the best but it can be pricey-although you get a lifetime guarantee with your purchase. Maybe you can buy you and Dh gear there (since adults don't tend to grow out of their clothes like kids) and buy the kids a bit more affordable clothes knowing they will probably only wear it one season before they will need bigger ones

PS Not trying to be pickey, just didn't want you spending alot of time searching for the wrong place or getting lost which is just what I would have done

Have a great winter!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 08:55 AM

680 posts, read 2,439,670 times
Yup, Freedom is a great little town but not the home of LL Bean. There is an LL Bean outlet in North Conway though, it's just not the mother ship. I bought my kids' winter gear at TJ Maxx.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:34 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,702,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy, CA View Post
I don't live there YET but wanted to say LL Bean in Maine is in Freeport not Freedom. I think Freedom is a nice little town in NH, right guys? Anyways, great winter gear if not the best but it can be pricey-although you get a lifetime guarantee with your purchase. Maybe you can buy you and Dh gear there (since adults don't tend to grow out of their clothes like kids) and buy the kids a bit more affordable clothes knowing they will probably only wear it one season before they will need bigger ones

PS Not trying to be pickey, just didn't want you spending alot of time searching for the wrong place or getting lost which is just what I would have done

Have a great winter!!!
You are right it is Freeport LOL - I haven't had my wake up 4 hours of work yet LOL - thanks for the catch

Old 11-15-2008, 09:54 AM

3,034 posts, read 9,135,202 times
as everyone said - Freeport (LL Bean) -

also you will find Olympia Sports and Columbia outlets throughout the state and in the malls

Wal-Mart tends to carry White Stag and others. All they need is a good down jacket, a pair of ski-pants, hats, mittens and sturdy, warm, boots. Most elementary schools require ski-pants and boots just to play in the snow. You will need more than one pair of mittens per child, as they need to swap out and dry on a good play day.

scarves/ neckwarmers and face masks are a nice bonus

Old 11-15-2008, 12:32 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
As a life-long New Englander, let me say that you don't HAVE to get your winter shoes, hats, etc at LL Bean. A lifetime guarantee is great, but for the little ones who aren't going to be spending hours in the snow, it's sort of a waste. Save the big $$ items for when the kids are older and need to have the best of everything. Did you know that there's an LL Bean outlet in Manchester? Coming from Windham, take 93N, bear left at the 293 split, take Exit 1, left at the top of the exit ramp, go over the bridge and watch for LL Bean on your right. If you pass Barnes & Noble, you've gone too far.

Happy Shopping!

Old 11-15-2008, 02:53 PM

586 posts, read 1,505,923 times
I'd second the Kittery Outlets - we cleaned up there a few weeks ago. Also, check the Overstocks section of Landsend.com -- *great* buys! Save some $ and get the mitten clips at Target. If you are ever in the Sunapee/Claremont/Lebanon areas you can't beat Huberts

Old 11-15-2008, 06:12 PM

885 posts, read 2,660,249 times
We outfitted our toddlers last year after arriving from CA.

For snow, get them one-piece snow suits, snow boots, and about a dozen pairs of cheap mittens. You can buy expensive ski-type mittens but they still leak, never fit right and you ain't going to keep them out in the freezing cold *THAT* long. Get a snow suit that will fit next year too. The kiddy outlets in Kittery will sell the suits and everything else you need.

For you to play in the snow with them, get REAL snow boots, and GAITERS - these will stop deep snow going down your boots. Get waterproof (goretex type not rubber) outer gloves and wear regular fleece gloves inside for wet work. You are also going to want a pair of cheaper work boots for regular walks or wearing around the yard when it is not 4ft in snow, but still slushy and icy.

Lastly, have fun out there:

YouTube - Katey Sledding
Our yard, The Great Snowy Winter of 07.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:30 PM

282 posts, read 1,185,940 times
My son is almost seven, and every year, I have bought him a snow suit-jacket and bib snow pants at the Osh Kosh Outlet in either Conway or Tilton. I have bought snow boots at LL Bean (which I love for me), but I did not like the snow boots they had for toddlers. I have since been buying snow boots through the Lands End catalogue--a bit pricey, but in my estimation well worth it! ( you can some times get them at Sears as well) I bought a great pair of gloves for him at Ken Jones in Manchester, by Toys R Us and Chuck E Cheese. Good luck. And yes, I have already bought this winter's gear....because you just never know around here!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire