Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:20 AM

586 posts, read 1,506,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
Well I *did* leave obviously - as I did to be with my husband who has lived in NC his whole life (he didn't feel he could deal with the cold - and I was particularly so over it with the winters). However, I am now dying to move back to NH - or wanting to move to the other side of NC - the Charlotte side.

I think all those who think NC is hot is thinking further south or the eastern side of the state. Over by Asheville and the mountains it isn't as hot as Raleigh south.
Ahhhh - absolutely. I'm sorry! I forgot you were in the unpronounceable FAY-uht-vil Much cooler over there. I like Asheville - neat little city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 12:21 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
If I was wealthy I would move to some of the following locations:
Bend, OR
Jackson, WY
Seattle, WA
Camden, ME
Petoskey, MI
Eagle River, WI
Brainerd Lakes Region, MN
Coeur de Alene, ID

Old 11-18-2008, 01:16 PM

21 posts, read 54,634 times
Default Where and Why

I spent the first 21 years of my life in NH. Since then I have moved to FL to NH to AR to ME to AR to ME to AZ to AR. I think that of all of the places that we have lived we like AR (Arkansas) the best. No, I am not in the service and did not move to satisfy an employer. We have moved of our own choice, many times without jobs, and many times during poor economic conditions.

Why do we like it here vs NH? We find that the climate is similar to NH but the seasons are more evenly distributed. An example is that today the sun is out, it is 60 degrees, and there are still some trees with beautiful foliage on them. We do get snow here but it is normally gone within a day or two (unless we have visitors form NH then it stays for a week!). Winter is also usually completely over by mid March. The summers are on the hot side but the humidity is lower than the greater coastal area of NH and ME.

There is wonderful trout fishing in the area. There are many other outdoor activities also. The towns are similar in size to those of NH in the northern part of the state (except NW corner that has exploded). There are many cultural events in the NW corner if you get that itch. It would be similar to living in Manchester and driving to Boston to the theater or museums.

The culture is very different. On the one hand you have a culture that is sweet, caring and sharing. On the other hand you have people that can be very bigoted. I think that you find that in NH also it is just not as pronounced since it is a white world (and I don't mean snow).

Hope that this answers some questions. But for the grace of God there go I. He has always caught us before we fell too far and pray that he will continue to guide us in these unsure economic times.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:48 PM

758 posts, read 2,889,277 times
Quote:
not me....I have a friend in Oregon and he told me local newspaper refused to report that Obama won the election.

I will probably stay forever in the 'live free or die' state.
Pretty silly criteria to judge an entire state on...especially one that is the size of Oregon. Didn't we already cover that on a thread a few weeks back?

Old 11-18-2008, 10:06 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,138,031 times
not me...I didn't see it. Not saying the whole state is that way, just surprised to see it at all.

or this story in Idaho.:

BOISE -- The mayor of an eastern Idaho town where second- and third-grade students chanted "Assassinate Obama" after Barack Obama's Nov. 4 election victory has publicly apologized, saying there's no excuse for such comments.

I wouldn't say all of Idaho is bad either. Sun Valley is pretty nice.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:52 AM

91 posts, read 307,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverar View Post
I spent the first 21 years of my life in NH. Since then I have moved to FL to NH to AR to ME to AR to ME to AZ to AR. I think that of all of the places that we have lived we like AR (Arkansas) the best.
I've lived in Arkansas for a year and I have to say, I really liked it too. I wouldn't mind moving back there.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:35 AM

21 posts, read 54,634 times
Default Location ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMishy View Post
I've lived in Arkansas for a year and I have to say, I really liked it too. I wouldn't mind moving back there.
I lived in the greater Littleton area and liked it. Visited family in Feb of 2000. It was snowing when I landed in Manchester and near blizzard conditions all the way up through the notch. Then it snowed every day I was there. The morning that I left it was 18 degrees, wind blowing and snowing again! Arkansas never looked so good as it did when I landed @ XNA.

Where area did you live while here?

Old 11-19-2008, 07:44 AM

91 posts, read 307,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverar View Post
Where area did you live while here?
Searcy.

I really did love the people there. Very open and friendly. I do have to say that the tornadoes were a bit unnerving. I remember driving with my brother one day and the sky got really dark. We knew we were in trouble when we passed some storm chasers! At least they were going in the opposite direction.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:34 AM

379 posts, read 1,418,762 times
Annabelle,
I'm targeting Charleston too, for all of the reasons you mentioned...I also love Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:44 AM

248 posts, read 805,343 times
We are moving from NE corner of Washington ---> NH... it is so pretty here! We are nestled in the beginning of the Cascades and the Canadian Rockies I believe. Mountains, lakes, and rivers everywhere... hard to leave...but the family is there on the East coast! If you want to leave NH, check out our area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire