Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 02:50 PM

909 posts, read 3,362,656 times

Advertisements

I'm remembering the thread from last summer on the best places to get a lobster roll. They are still out of reach for me, but this week Stop and Shop is selling them for 3.99 each or 10.99 for a pack of three. I had two for lunch. They were pretty good, but I'm really confused now. So far all the lobster rolls I've seen are cold food. Basically a lobster salad (just lobster and mayo) in a roll. From last year's thread I was under the impression that it was a hot food. Am I just confused, faulty in memory, or are there many kinds of lobster rolls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 03:20 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,547 times
In Conn. I hear one can get a lobster roll consisting of warm lobster meat on a grilled hot dog rolled, drenched in drawn butter, but as long as I can remember a traditional NH or Maine lobster roll is a grilled roll, lobster lightlt tossed in mayo and possible some lettuce lining the roll. The Taramack near Weirs Beach used to have a good one.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:51 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
I've heard the same Dave! I've also had a warm lobster roll where it was warm lobster on a hamburger bun drenched it butter and then topped with melted cheese.

I still prefer the traditional cold ones with mayo.

We had an interesting alternative to Lobster Rolls down in MD; basically you make it just like a normal lobster roll but substitute some baby shrimp & old-bay seasoning for the lobster; and maybe add some diced green onions...

Old 04-27-2009, 05:13 PM

680 posts, read 2,439,670 times
The cold one with mayo (with or without chopped celery and lettuce) is a lobster SALAD roll. They're usually a little cheaper.

Dave is describing a traditional lobster roll. It goes without saying that the bun must be the only-in-New England split top bun, not a standard side-split bun.

For the true cholesterol lovers, there's also a fried lobster roll - same as above, but meat is battered and deep fried before being drenched in butter.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:14 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
I haven't been there yet, but I have heard that Abbott's in Noank, Conn. has a very, very good lobster roll. They open for the season this Friday.

"A quarter pound of pure lobster meat (more than is found in a small lobster) with melted creamery butter, mounded on a toasted bun."

Old 04-27-2009, 06:38 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
If you check in the stores, they now do sell real can lobster. Then you can do your own.
The vermont country story also does sell it. It is the real meat, but is expensive. A lobster roll
which I had is lobster, with some filler, and mayo in a hotdog roll. Also you could say skip the mayo, and have a lemon wedge. Sometime people go to a fish store and do buy the lobster meat.
It can be hot or cold. You put some meat into tinfoil, place it into the oven to warm it, and toast a bun
and go from there.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:42 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
Really?? We're the only ones with split-top buns?? Never knew that, but when we moved to the midwest, we never had reason to buy hot dog buns... There were NO Essem Hot Dogs (the only hot dogs worth eating, as far as we are concerned) and certainly no lobster to prepare lobster rolls. I always thought that the both styles were available everywhere (who knew!!)

For those who may not be in the know, "the way" to grill a hot dog bun for a lobster roll is to butter on both sides, and cook till lightly golden brown in your black cast iron skillet.

Chunks of lobster meat, tossed with a bit of mayonaise and a couple drops of fresh lemon juice are all you need. Maybe a sprinkle of salt-n-pepper. If you want to add some crunch, dice a bit of celery up VERY VERY small, and sprinkle on top of the prepared lobster roll. Shake a bit of paprika over the top, and there, a perfect lobster roll

Fried lobster, hmmmm have never tried it and while it sounds perfectly disgusting right now, if it were in front of me I might have to give it a try After all, we eat fried clams, fried scallops, etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2008 View Post
Dave is describing a traditional lobster roll. It goes without saying that the bun must be the only-in-New England split top bun, not a standard side-split bun.

For the true cholesterol lovers, there's also a fried lobster roll - same as above, but meat is battered and deep fried before being drenched in butter.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:46 PM

909 posts, read 3,362,656 times
Oh man, this thread is making me hungry. Well, I still have one roll left in the fridge

These were pretty good. No fillers at all. Just lobster meat, mayo, and maybe some seasoning. But I'm on the hunt for the hot rolls!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:02 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,508 times
While I've had the warm, buttery type of lobster roll; when I think of a lobster roll, I think of a cold, lobster salad roll. Lobster salad consists of fresh lobster meat--including claw meat which is my favorite, a small amount of finely diced celery, and good quality mayo (not too much, not too little). The roll must be a New England style hotdog roll, with the slit on top, and it must be lightly buttered on the outside and grilled. For me, it's important that the roll is warmed through, but the lobster salad is cold. The contrast is important. A little lettuce lines the inside of the warmed roll, the lobster salad fills the roll to the point of over filling on top. Top with a little paprika and pepper.

That is my perfect lobster roll, and now I'm getting very hungry.

I don't know if McDonalds still does this, but years ago McDonald offerred something known as a McLobster. Something is pretty desriptive, avoid anything called a McLobster at all costs.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:36 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,542,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
If you check in the stores, they now do sell real can lobster. Then you can do your own.
The vermont country story also does sell it. It is the real meat, but is expensive. A lobster roll
which I had is lobster, with some filler, and mayo in a hotdog roll. Also you could say skip the mayo, and have a lemon wedge. Sometime people go to a fish store and do buy the lobster meat.
It can be hot or cold. You put some meat into tinfoil, place it into the oven to warm it, and toast a bun
and go from there.
Scholands rule!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire