Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 01:10 PM

371 posts, read 1,823,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Good to know. One distinction I want to make and I think you will agree is it's not the music that is to blame, it's just one of many possible indicators of someone with a possible problem.
Exactly. It's like any other symptom: those with emotional disturbances and mental instabilities will be drawn to such music. Doesn't mean their propensities go away if you take away their music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 01:19 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
There are home firearm safety classes you can take that will help put your mind a little more at ease. In regards to the kids teaching them about firearms is the key to them staying safe. Keeping children safe in a home with firearms is a pretty easy task, it's all about education.

The problem with a stun gun is in CA it's probably illegal for you to have, you only get one shot, and unless you keep juicing the bad guy he's going to be angry and get up.

I do understand you guys never being around firearms so it must be a difficult thing for you and your husband. In a home with no place to run a firearm is the most effective way to protect yourself. If you want to PM me your location in CA I can probably give you a few places to get some basic firearms safety training for you and your husband if you guys want to go that route.
actually we moved to southern nh last year. we're not far from mont vernon

Old 10-08-2009, 01:23 PM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,383 times
Even better. I can take you two out to the range one weekend and get you guys a lot more comfortable with firearms and maybe put some of your fears to rest. I have three young boys in my house and I can honestly say I am not concerned one bit for their safety with my firearms. I do take some extra precautions when other children are over to the house for a play date because I don't know what they have been taught in regards to firearms but that's a quick fix with a lock.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:08 PM

56 posts, read 125,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
Good to know. One distinction I want to make and I think you will agree is it's not the music that is to blame, it's just one of many possible indicators of someone with a possible problem.
Yup -- I definitely agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff View Post
Exactly. It's like any other symptom: those with emotional disturbances and mental instabilities will be drawn to such music. Doesn't mean their propensities go away if you take away their music.
Yes. Exactly.

And for the record: We're moving with a BIG dog.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:10 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimstuff View Post
I stayed up all night thinking about this. We live in an apartment, so there are limited ways to defend our "home," such as dogs in the yard, an alarm system, or what have you.
Check out some of the wireless alarm systems available. You can set them up yourself and even if not connected to monitoring the alarm will alert you to a break-in and be a powerful deterrent. A lot of the sensors can be installed in easily removable/non-intrusive ways.

While a "wired" system has less that can go wrong with it...its good to know your options. I've seen good quality systems for under $250.

Also...someone else above mentioned an ADT sale...an alarm is better than no alarm, but anything can fail so test it regularly and remember to not rely completely on it (ie, an alarm doesn't substitute for secure doors/windows).

I also second what SgtHoskins brings up regarding firearms. They really are your best last defense. However if you are not mentally/physically ready to employ them when needed they can be a liability instead- so they require a commitment to education and practice; they don't need to be a hobby- but you shouldn't just go buy one and know nothing about it. Even if you decide that owning a firearm is not something you would like to do taking the opportunity to go to a range with someone knowledgeable or take a training class (or both) is a very worthwhile opportunity- as is teaching the rules of firearms safety to your children. The vast majority of gun owners are responsible, but you and your children should know "what to do" if at the home/in the presence of someone who is not (or someone who is being responsible for that matter as well).

Last edited by BF66389; 10-08-2009 at 03:27 PM..

Old 10-08-2009, 05:46 PM

914 posts, read 2,919,725 times
I have to disagree with those who think the music itself isn't to blame. I think it feeds their psychosis, as a drug would. What's the difference then? You certainly would not advocate a person with deep emotional problems to use drugs or alcohol. Media is very a powerful influence on teens' lives. It is very impactful, and they often look to art, music,etc. as guideposts as to how to live their lives. I have my Master's degree in film, and I did my thesis on political film and propaganda. Hollywood and filmmakers have kept it a secret just how powerful the medium is, and how visual images affect the human brain and our behavior. It is not difficult to brainwash someone - you'd be surprised how easy it is, especially a person who is receptive to it, i.e. troubled teens. Music that contains messages (to kill or be killed, embrace death,etc.) if listened to frequently and repetitively is a brainwashing technique. Remember the Manson family's use of the Beatle's song "Helter Skelter"? Music can and has been an effective motivational tool. Same with movies. Remember the slasher/horror film from a year or so ago, "The Strangers"? What was it about? Teens who randomly select a house with the intent of torturing and killing its occupants.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,957 times
Bored teens who think that they are ammune to society.....Much like Eric hayden

Old 10-08-2009, 07:24 PM

56 posts, read 125,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
I have to disagree with those who think the music itself isn't to blame. I think it feeds their psychosis, as a drug would. What's the difference then? You certainly would not advocate a person with deep emotional problems to use drugs or alcohol.
Of course one wouldn't advocate that. And speaking for myself, I wouldn't advocate this particular genre of music under any conditions. But upthread on this same topic was a discussion about weapons, and whether guns are suitable for everyone. Is the answer to that rooted in the nature of the weapon or the person?

Some people can drink alcohol without negatively impacting their lives. Some can't. What's driving the difference?

Some people experiment with drugs and grow up fine nonetheless. Some don't.

Clearly some things are more indicative of a serious problem than others. I offered the music playlist because for me, it was something tangible that I could put my thumb on from afar and say "yes, there were symptoms that something was amiss".

Is that enough to conclude somebody's going to go off the deep end and participate in a random murder? No. There are many thousands of young people listening to that music, yet not murdering innocent strangers in their beds -- just as there were many millions who listened to the Beatles' White album without hearing a call to violence like the Manson cult.

The music isn't The answer. But it's more than the nothing I was working with. And that nothing terrified me.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:43 PM

53 posts, read 130,672 times
This is one of the saddest things to happen in this state in a very, very long time. It's heart-wrenching.

Those who would like to leave a message for the family can do so here:

We Are Better Than This

Old 10-08-2009, 08:01 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylyh View Post
But upthread on this same topic was a discussion about weapons, and whether guns are suitable for everyone. Is the answer to that rooted in the nature of the weapon or the person
Very much so.

I also agree with you that music, movies, games, etc...are nothing more than individual pieces of a persons activities that can help provide clues/warning signs- but none of which are a reason themselves. As much as we would like to find a reason...there is evil in the world, evil that acts without reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire