Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:43 PM

393 posts, read 982,051 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me why the state of NH doesn't have a CCW permit reciprocity agreement with Maine? Considering that the White Mountain National Forest borders the two states, it seems kind of inconvenient that one could carry a firearm for personal protection in one state but not the other while on a hike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 07:46 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Nope, would make sense though.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:50 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Who cares? Shall not be infringed came first.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:58 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,150 times
Concealed means concealed. If you're in the woods and you need to carry a firearm for protection why would you remove it because of a invisible border?

Old 05-14-2010, 08:08 AM

I hike alot right on the border. Mountian Pond towards Chattam, and right smack into Maine, where for one thing I have friends. The PC Sheep have no idea I am armed.

There is just one animal in the woods that I fear, and people call that man.

A couple weeks back in one week I saw 8 bears, one moose, and many turkey. I fear none of them in the woods. I just fear them riding my motorcycles.

While open carry is legal in NH i just don't. There is no point, and it takes the surprise away from a bad guy. I have met more than my fair share of bad guys too.

I am aware of other bad guys in the north country as well, such as the shooting robbery of the care taker at Carter Notch in the early 80's. The care taker lived, but the shooting robbery was a sticking point with me since I was a alternate winter care taker for the RMC at Gray Knob on the north slope of My Adams.

Around that time was 2 double rape and murders in Sawyer River, both unsolved so far as I know.

One of the incidents I personally suffered in the Pemi was being accosted by 1 man of a total of 8. I was passing by at the height of land on the nancy brook trail. I saw and counted 8 guys wearing black biker gear, but had not seen any vehicals muchless bikes in the parking lot, and I was a rider then as I am now.

I was packing my son inside my pack with his little face peeking out. Under him was the gear for the day hike I had planned.

I knodded, but never spoke a word ever, but from behind me hearing a guy say "That kid will look better with his head bashed on that tree!" I turned to face my new opponent, and made motion for my Ruger Super Blackhawk. 44 mag, but didn't touch it. Suddenly I understood I was under gunned, because that old hog leg was pre transfer bar, and so was only loaded with 5 rnds! Those 5 rnds were all I had too.

I had no idea if the other men would join this guy, and I was just a little upset.

Turns out no bad guy wants to be shot first, so that motioning ended the problem right there. I continued on my way as planned, but I wanted to turn back.

After a bit of time I became nervous that they might follow me, so I got off the trail and waited around 1/2 hour. Ever since in the woods I have been armed.

In Easter 1999 my father in law and his 2nd wife were stabbed to death. Swat showed up 2.5 hours after the Fire Dept who was there to wash the blood from the street gutters, as that attack began in the house and ended in the street.

Ever since then I carry full time 24/7 with one gun on our property, and 2 if I leave this place. I do not recognize state borders, and carried on a USA MC tour with my wife thru 40 states on just a single ride. I simply don't care about other states, and their gun laws anymore.

No one can look at me and tell I am armed. I make a point of being concealed deep, since speed isn't my concern. The tactic if surpise beats speed most of the time. And most of the time a look in the eye and a motion is all it takes to stop a bad guy.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 05-14-2010 at 08:53 AM..

Old 05-14-2010, 08:39 AM

1,200 posts, read 2,217,150 times
Excellent post Mac.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:16 AM

sgthoskins, Thxs

It is things like this that is why.... It makes no sence.... read the whole page.

http://www.saf.org/reciprocity.html

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 05-14-2010 at 10:03 AM..

Old 05-15-2010, 06:42 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
Probably because the NH law doesn't mandate a background checks to issue the permit. That is why many states do not accept the permit.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:06 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Probably because the NH law doesn't mandate a background checks to issue the permit. That is why many states do not accept the permit.
A NAC is standard operating procedure for every office in the state. If you're a criminal- you aren't getting a permit, period.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:45 PM

155 posts, read 305,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
sgthoskins, Thxs

It is things like this that is why.... It makes no sence.... read the whole page.

CCWlist
I agree with you completely: it makes no sense. I'm a states' rights guy, but, love it or hate it, the 14th Amendment reads, "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States...." (The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net) This is the trump card that overrode states' rights and forced all states to abide by the Constitution, disallowing any state law violating whatever the Constitution expressly said about any issue. That means the 2nd Amendment, "...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed," trumps all state laws attempting to infringe the RKBA. The 2nd Amendment reserves and guarantees this right to the people, therefore it is a right of United States citizenship, and therefore must be taken as one of the "privileges or immunities" guaranteed by the 14th. Because of this, I see no way that any state can refuse any citizen of the United States the right to own and carry any arms of any kind at any time. As I see it, such a citizen of the United States has that right across state lines because the citizenship of the United States is distinct from that citizen's residency in any one state, which is an aspect of that reference to citizenship identified in the 14th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire