Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 08:52 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog15 View Post
If you at all plan on visiting Philadelphia for anything with regularity, be it work or entertainment or whatever, I wouldn't consider KOP. The Expressway is absolutely one of the worst roadways I've ever had to deal with. I currently live in Cherry Hill and think it's a pain to get into the city, I can't even fathom trying to deal with it from KOP.
My parents live over near Pittsburgh and I saw them more when I lived in Texas because I can't stomach sitting on the "sure to kill" driving 10 miles an hour.

That being said, if the majority of your world would be in those areas, they are both pretty nice.
my sister lives in KOP and i've never had any major issues getting into center city, other than the normal rush hour traffic. Maybe it depends where abouts you live in KOP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agree on the proximity but on the walkable towns? While I love Haddonfield and Moorestown and Collingwood are you suggesting they somehow are moreso than the Mainline, Conshy, Pheonixville etc. Actually the mainline (Wayne and Radnor are what 2 miles from the mall) if anything to me surpass the areas you are discussing in Jersey mostly because they are much larger. I love the towns but I think some of this is an overstatment, are Bryn Mawr, Ardmore, Berwyn, Conshy, Radnor, etc not walkable downtowns? By rail the Mainline is very quick to CC and without traffic on 76 (always a big if) KOP to CC can be done in about 17 minutes.
exactly! very well said.

and should i even mention what my sister pays in property taxes? i imagine cherry hill is triple or quadruple what she pays. granted, she says the school system there is so-so, and they plan to move when they have kids that reach school age.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 AM

262 posts, read 790,054 times
I was aware there was a term called Abbott district, and I was intending to catch up on it. Than ks for the links.

But my main question in (2) above is: what would be the approx property tax bill on say a 300K (or whatever other amount you want to use) house in CH? 10K? 12K? 15? More?

Old 03-28-2011, 08:57 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athensvaasi View Post
Thanks everyone for such a lot of information. We ae going to back in the Philly metro in June, and Cherry Hill sems to be our top choice after going thru this discussion. [Like I said before North Wales and Princeton were our other locations from summer 2010. But I can see the attractiveness of Cherry Hill now.]

I have 3 more questions. Since you have all been so nice so far, I hope you wouldn't mind providing some more valuable info!

(1) Is there a Cherry Hill or South Jersey police blotter on any of the local newspapers? With proximity to Camden, what are the crime-related issues for South Jersey / CH, and how is it handled.

(2) Property taxes -- Without going into technical terms, it looks like CH property taxes are about 3% of the property value? Is that approximately correct? So a 300,000 house will have a 9-10K bill.
[2a. BTW, what specific services does the county provide inside the borders of CH, or for CH residents, at this time? (I did see discussion about future regionalization of services.) How much of CH property tax bill goes to city, and how much goes to the county]

(3) Obtaining individual health insurance. But I think I might have to do some research on this topic based on info from my other thread. If anyone has any info, please inform on that thread.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...urance-nj.html

Thanks again for so much valuable info.
1. The Courier Post is the main paper for South Jersey, but I don't think it has a blotter section. The Cherry Hill Police also don't have one on their website (I checked). Probably your best resource would be the city-data statistics that include crime rates.

FWIW, the entire area outside of Camden City is very quiet and safe. Probably the only thing that is elevated do to the proximity to Camden is auto theft rates do to the large number of chop shops operating in Camden City. Having lived in that area for a large part of my life, I can attest that crime is not something people think about.

2. I think the Cherry Hill rate is between 2.6% and 3%, so you are in the ballpark.

I'm not sure what the local/county breakdown is, but the country portion in general is usually a very small part of the bill. As far as county services in Cherry Hill, those will generally be limited to maintenance of some county parks and county roads. In general the county is not the entity you will deal with for most things.

That may change if the merged services idea ever happens, but that is a bit of a long shot at this point.

3. I don't have any personal experience to share, just that there are a dizzying array of plans and options out there, so you really need to shop around.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:01 AM

155 posts, read 372,113 times
Quote:
bulldog, I think your thrid sentence was going to mention another name, but you used Planet Fitness twice.

GoPhils -- Yes, going to gym with our kids was what I was looking for. I confused the issue with LAFitness, but I was just asking since there seemed to be some development activity. JCC should work out fine. I think Future Fitness has swimming for kids (per website), not sure about other things. Virtua does not seem to allow kids.

I think this info should suffice as far as fitness centers go. It is just something that we have been as a family activity recently, and we try to be in reasonable shape.
Right, sorry. LAFitness for the pool.

And as far as kids go at the JCC, I understand that they have both indoor and outdoor pools and the basketball courts with leagues and stuff for the kids, but I have kind of an issue with them being in the gym area using the equipment and things like that.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:03 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,037 times
I think there are more good jobs in the KOP vicinity. I also think the towns are generally nicer out that way, as long as you don't have to commute on the Schuykill.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
This is not a black & white issue. There are a lot of IT related businesses around Rt 202, near King of Prussia.

Cherry Hill gets you access to multiple places, including, in my opinion, a quicker access into the Wilmington area. There are a lot of bank services (credit cards) in DE.

If you want quick & easy access to Center City & a better access to Wilmington (as well as what's in South Jersey), then, if I was in your shoes, I'd be looking at Cherry Hill & Haddonfield, since you'd also have quick access to exits 33 & 34 of 295, to run to DE.

However, you might want to do research or ask on the Philly board about the IT related companies in the PA burbs.
or....why not just move to wilmington?

Old 03-28-2011, 09:25 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I think there are more good jobs in the KOP vicinity. I also think the towns are generally nicer out that way, as long as you don't have to commute on the Schuykill.
The Mainline is lovely, but my understanding is that the OP is looking for relatively easy access to the entire metro & possibly into Central Jersey &/or the NY metro, but definitely northern DE, South Jersey, Philadelphia & the western suburbs.

I did mention, early on, about the cluster of IT-related businesses out along 202 & vicinity. That area would be accessible from a South Jersey location, but, conversely, access to Atlantic City would be questionable from the western suburbs.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
or....why not just move to wilmington?
Schools, most likely. If I were to move back to the Philadelphia metro, I would go to New Castle County & stop there. However, I would not be using the schools.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I was aware there was a term called Abbott district, and I was intending to catch up on it. Than ks for the links.

But my main question in (2) above is: what would be the approx property tax bill on say a 300K (or whatever other amount you want to use) house in CH? 10K? 12K? 15? More?
Having spent 40+ years in Cherry Hill, I'm now in the Charlotte metro. I can not give you a precise rate, however, if you look on realtor.com or yahoo real estate, you can see actual listings & the exact property tax on each house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia