Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:26 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
exactly! very well said.

and should i even mention what my sister pays in property taxes? i imagine cherry hill is triple or quadruple what she pays. granted, she says the school system there is so-so, and they plan to move when they have kids that reach school age.
wait.. are you saying that CH is FOUR times what KOP is in prop taxes for the same value home? If you your highly mistaken.. I just did a search in both areas and in KOP for a $325k older home its around 3200 a year. In CH for the same cost older home its about 7500. A little over double..

Last edited by frankgn87; 03-28-2011 at 11:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 12:03 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Schools, most likely. If I were to move back to the Philadelphia metro, I would go to New Castle County & stop there. However, I would not be using the schools.
some neighborhoods have very good schools in the wilmington area. also, with the extremely low taxes, one could easily save money and spend it on private schools. just an option.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:13 PM

262 posts, read 790,054 times
Quote:
some neighborhoods have very good schools in the wilmington area. also, with the extremely low taxes, one could easily save money and spend it on private schools. just an option.
OP here. I need a good public school district (and other amenities that go with raising kids), reasonable Asian Indian diversity, access to job markets. (I like the public school concept).

I am guessing Wilmington is not going to be too great for some of these???

Old 03-28-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
wait.. are you saying that CH is FOUR times what KOP is in prop taxes for the same value home? If you your highly mistaken.. I just did a search in both areas and in KOP for a $325k older home its around 3200 a year. In CH for the same cost older home its about 7500. A little over double..
my sister's home was $285,000 and her property taxes are $1,600. so i used that as my basis of saying it could be 3 times or 4 times the amount. maybe 4 times was too far. but even in your example, that's 2.5 times almost. also, my guess is the $325k home in KOP might provide more space and/or more land? just a guess though. KOP has pretty low taxes due to the industries there.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athensvaasi View Post
OP here. I need a good public school district (and other amenities that go with raising kids), reasonable Asian Indian diversity, access to job markets. (I like the public school concept).

well the section my brother-in-law lives in would be no. i can't speak to asian indian diversity, i imagine it's not very diverse but i don't know much other than what i've seen first hand through brother-in-law. my uncle's best friend has lived in wilimington area for a few decades now, in one of the nicer areas of town, and he was happy with his school choices. so i think it depends.

i was just throwing it out there as an idea, because the taxes are so obscenely low in comparison, that you could easily be putting more than a couple thousand aside each year to pay for eventual private school if you chose that route.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:

The best way to find out the answers to these questions would be to ask on the Delaware board. You would want to request the information concerning Northern New Castle County. Northern New Castle County includes Wilmington but also includes out-lying areas. http://www.city-data.com/forum/delaware/

There's great shopping in Delaware (plus no sales tax), but all of the people who I know personally who have moved to or plan to go to Delaware from South Jersey are retired or semi-retired & are not putting kids through school.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
my sister's home was $285,000 and her property taxes are $1,600. so i used that as my basis of saying it could be 3 times or 4 times the amount. maybe 4 times was too far. but even in your example, that's 2.5 times almost. also, my guess is the $325k home in KOP might provide more space and/or more land? just a guess though. KOP has pretty low taxes due to the industries there.

Yes I am sure there are different cases but generally CH is way more expensive but as bad as you thought(but bad enough!!)

Old 03-28-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
brady, there are some excellent school districts on the Mainline. You have already said that this is not one of them that you are comparing for property taxes. The OP would have to ask on the Philly board, then check real estate in those areas.

Plus, PA has some additional taxes. I used to get an annual ding for the right to work tax when I worked in Montgomery County. As an out of state employee, I got dinged for $10 a year, but Montgomery County resident co-workers paid more. This was a good number of years ago, so I don't have a clue what it is now.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:17 PM

262 posts, read 790,054 times
I am not considering Wilmington, DE. The only options (in order) are: Cherry Hill, North Wales, Princeton.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I am not considering Wilmington, DE. The only options (in order) are: Cherry Hill, North Wales, Princeton.
Here's some information on North Wales. http://www.city-data.com/city/North-...nsylvania.html

Overall, it's my opinion that Cherry Hill gets you more centrally located.

Based on the City Data information on North Wales, which is based on the 2000 census, it appears that your family would feel more comfortable in Cherry Hill. I can't say that for certain, you'd have to ask on the Philly board (which has posters in the western suburbs).

Princeton is a beautiful town. It would be more expensive than Cherry Hill & would skew you towards the NY market &, to a degree, out of parts of the Philadelphia market.

On a map, these probably appear to be very close together, but in day to day life they are not. Each has its own sphere of influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia