Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:28 AM

756 posts, read 2,118,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I think that Genuardis expanded into another store front. I think it was the laundromat.
Do you mean at Ellisburg? It would make sense as ShopRite seemed cramped. Genuardi's also built another entrances, so it had two, that the ShopRite at Ellisburg didn't have.

I wonder if there is possibility that the Korean market (H-Mart) might consider upgrading to this location, although it would leave the center it currently is in which is mostly Korean. It maybe easier for the shopping center owner as H-Mart could agree to the full space without drastic redevelopment needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 11:50 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avg12 View Post
Do you mean at Ellisburg? It would make sense as ShopRite seemed cramped. Genuardi's also built another entrances, so it had two, that the ShopRite at Ellisburg didn't have.

I wonder if there is possibility that the Korean market (H-Mart) might consider upgrading to this location, although it would leave the center it currently is in which is mostly Korean. It maybe easier for the shopping center owner as H-Mart could agree to the full space without drastic redevelopment needed.
Yes, Ellisburg.

I love H-Mart. I wish there was one near where I live now.

I do think that Compare Foods is a good candidate to come in. They are masters at switching up the stock to match the area.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:10 PM

161 posts, read 344,659 times
Quote:
The AC Line track does split the Garden State Pavilions from the Garden State Park shopping center, although a workaround to allow people to cross over easily could have been done, although it would be expensive.
There has long been talking about an at-grade crossing across the rail line to connect the two shopping centers. I thought I remembered reading that it was approved recently, but I can't seem to find the news article.

Since we are talking about the "Golden Triangle" area, it is worth looking at some studies done on the area available on Cherry Hill's site under "Community Development": Cherry Hill, NJ - Official Website There are also studies on other areas available too if anyone is interested. Of course most are far from reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I think that Genuardis expanded into another store front. I think it was the laundromat.
Yes, it had expanded into another store to the left of it.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:21 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
Anybody know anything about all of the empty retail in Cherry Hill? There is a ton and it seems like anytime something new is built... new ground is broken.

Examples: 1) 1 Brace Road on Rt 70 (formerly Natl Wholesale Liquidators). 2) An empty "club" a few intersections up 70 West of 1 Brace. 3) The old Shop Rite off of Berlin Rd (across from Burger King) 4) Empty retail surrounding Lowes on Rt 73. 5) The saddest mini mall on Earth (West on 70 past Wegmans towards Camden).

Just curious if these are open on the market or held up in litigation somehow. This is a TON of vacant retail and not sure what the end result will be. Definitely an eyesore.
Considering the massive developement of Garden State, and the revitalization of the mall in recent years, CH has been a net gainer throughout the recession of 2008-2010 and the slow recovery since. I think it's actually pretty remarkable that retailers continue to show such interest in the greater SJ region. Consider that Moorestown just received 5 bids for 4 liquor licenses - over $1 million each slated for the Moorestown Mall which will bring in 4 restaurants. That's pre-recession pricing and a lot of interest in the current environment. This is during a time when vacancies normally rise as weaker or less established businesses close.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Considering the massive developement of Garden State, and the revitalization of the mall in recent years, CH has been a net gainer throughout the recession of 2008-2010 and the slow recovery since. I think it's actually pretty remarkable that retailers continue to show such interest in the greater SJ region. Consider that Moorestown just received 5 bids for 4 liquor licenses - over $1 million each slated for the Moorestown Mall which will bring in 4 restaurants. That's pre-recession pricing and a lot of interest in the current environment. This is during a time when vacancies normally rise as weaker or less established businesses close.
The CH-Marlton-Mt.Laurel area is healthy, but I wouldn't say so for the greater SJ region, unless you just mean that area. There is some relative recent growth in areas like Washington Twp. along Berlin Cross Keys Rd, and further south in Gloucester County.

However, I think there are more areas where SJ seems poor: e.g. most of Atlantic County, Cumberland County and areas in Camden County like Berlin, Stratford, Blackwood, Clementon, Lawnside, etc. The Route 130 corridor in Burlington County has improved but it's still not so strong. Willingboro is SJ, but is very different world from Mt. Laurel. After one goes east past Mt.Laurel on 38, east on 73 past Voorhees, it declines as well.

The Deptford area seems to have promise for more growth, but it seems to have stalled. The Deptford Mall got a renovation and at one point was surpassing Cherry Hill, but that seems like a long time ago.

One thing is AMC to operates at two very old screens at Deptford and can operate like a monopoly with the rights for all the movies in the area, preventing another chain from building a better newer movie screen for the area. Maybe the Chinese owners that bought AMC will see some value in Deptford. Atleast Regal is using it's position to build a new screen at Moorestown Mall (opening in 2013).

I passed by the shopping plaza in Deptford where Raymour&Flanigan is located. It's not too far from the mall, and there is an abandoned Pathmark and some other stores. It would be interesting if Wegmans saw potential for it to go there, even if buying out the furniture's store lease, which is left behind in a dead plaza.

Last edited by avg12; 07-09-2012 at 07:05 PM..

Old 07-10-2012, 07:04 AM

1,340 posts, read 3,698,387 times
I noticed the big warehouse at Ellisburg Circle is getting knocked down.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:34 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,743 times
Quote:
The CH-Marlton-Mt.Laurel area is healthy, but I wouldn't say so for the greater SJ region, unless you just mean that area. There is some relative recent growth in areas like Washington Twp. along Berlin Cross Keys Rd, and further south in Gloucester County.

However, I think there are more areas where SJ seems poor: e.g. most of Atlantic County, Cumberland County and areas in Camden County like Berlin, Stratford, Blackwood, Clementon, Lawnside, etc. The Route 130 corridor in Burlington County has improved but it's still not so strong. Willingboro is SJ, but is very different world from Mt. Laurel. After one goes east past Mt.Laurel on 38, east on 73 past Voorhees, it declines as well.

The Deptford area seems to have promise for more growth, but it seems to have stalled. The Deptford Mall got a renovation and at one point was surpassing Cherry Hill, but that seems like a long time ago.

One thing is AMC to operates at two very old screens at Deptford and can operate like a monopoly with the rights for all the movies in the area, preventing another chain from building a better newer movie screen for the area. Maybe the Chinese owners that bought AMC will see some value in Deptford. Atleast Regal is using it's position to build a new screen at Moorestown Mall (opening in 2013).

I passed by the shopping plaza in Deptford where Raymour&Flanigan is located. It's not too far from the mall, and there is an abandoned Pathmark and some other stores. It would be interesting if Wegmans saw potential for it to go there, even if buying out the furniture's store lease, which is left behind in a dead plaza.
Only speaking for the heart of SJ - Camden, Burlington and Gloucester Counties...the remaining counties are either tied to the NJ shore economically or exist on a very local economy - Salem, etc. I would say the heart of SJ is doing very well - all things considered. A quick drive this morning yielded new construction at several locations - new wing being built on Residence Inn on 38 in Mount Laurel; down farther on 38 after Ark Rd, looks like a new phase in the retirement community being built - just beyond Fostertown Rd - that's probably Hainesport. There's a new residential home development being built in Cinnaminson just across the Moorestown border and finally over at Voorhees there's new retail construction behind Target off White Horse Rd. This is stuff I just happened to see driving in the area. And finally, I was at Millers Ale House last night next to Aloft and it was pretty crowded on a Monday night with no sports on. I was surprised.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:09 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
Speaking if the garden state park shops. How are the sales of the townhouses and condos they wanted to build? I had looked into them in 2008 and the agent told me the townhouses were around $500k. ( they were a bit out of our budget when we could get a single family home for $400K). I wonder if they end up like the Collingswood Lumberyard project: a big dud.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:51 PM

14 posts, read 36,156 times
Quote:
I'm surprised BCF chose the former Home Depot site or part of it. While it is a spacious site, it isn't in an area that draws as much traffic as other sites in Cherry Hill. There is Ross but not much stores for apparel buying.

I was thinking the Plaza of Cherry Hill would have been better. But maybe there wasn't an adequate single large site (80,000 sq.foot) in that plaza.

I think that Plaza of Cherry Hill center somewhat mismanaged, or whoever is running it has a poor leasing strategy. It's in such a prime location (by the mall, off 38 and in between the Moorestown Mall and Cherry Hill Mall traffic), but is so underused. It lost Ashley Furniture (which relocated to Levitz site) but gained Bottom Dollar Food recently. Some chains like Chuck E. Cheese have been there for decades. But there are atleast 2-3 major sites unoccupied.

If a major developer like Developers Diversified bought it, they'd bring stronger tenants, fill spaces, and possibly restructure the plaza in a more optimal way.

Another space on the west side of town is in a plaza with Pathmark and Big Lots. The space between those store used to be Rickels. I think it is still unoccupied. That's a plaza that could use a makeover.

Closer to Marlton, Floors USA is closing saying they lost their lease. It might be because the plaza owner wants to find a tenant to replace Oskar Huber Furniture and it's adjacent space. That plaza hasn't had two solid tenants since Acme was with Clover. Since Acme closed, there is always one tenant in while other out. Sears Hardware came to replace Acme, but Clover closed. Oskar Huber Furniture came when Sears closed. Planet Fitness opened when Oskar Huber Furniture was bankrupt and closed.

There is also now a former Syms space that is unoccupied but nearer to I-295.

Another area with a lot of vacant spaces is Echelon in Voorhees.
There is an empty Fuddruckers, Bally's Total Fitness, Genuardi's and KFC along White Horse Road. I'd think Staples, Bottom Dollar and maybe Planet or Retro Fitness could be competitive there.

Another site that has been available for lease forever is a site by the Moorestown Mall, next to For Eyes and Men's Warehouse. It was used by Gateway Country (what 10 years ago?). I'm guessing the landlord is happy with the lease rent/sq.foot that For Eyes and MW is paying and doesn't want to lower the rent to fill that space with a Chinese fast food joint for the sake of filling it, otherwise For Eyes and Men's Warehouse would want lower rent as well.

Anyways, the shopping center architecture that I see in Florida, California, Texas and out west makes NJ shopping centers look dismal.
I was also surprised to see BCF choose the old Home Depot site in Cherry Hill as opposed to a more visible site in the town. I felt this BCF was too close to the new one in Cinnaminson, which does good business on Rt. 130 since it opened. A lot of locals dislike the Pavillion/Rt.70 shopping center as it is positioned looking toward Pennsauken even though it is located in Cherry Hill. I saw an article a few years ago about them tearing down the GS Pavillion plaza and transforming it into a downtown transit center for the NJ Transit trains. But overall, people prefer taking the next jughnadle to Wegmans off of 70 & Haddonfield just to avoid the aging and winding road into Shoprite.

As for Ellisburg, I too agree that Trader Joe's would be a nice fit for that Genuardi's location but I have my doubts if TJ's would consider a space there along with lower end tenants (ex. Dollar Tree, Foot Locker, Five Below). It would be quite a contrast considering that fact that the Marlton store is adjacent to Pottery Barn, etc. Bottom Dollar might possible there but ultimately, I think it will takeover the old Shoprite on Brace Rd. an reduce the building to the typical 20,000sF format.

In Moorestown, I never understood why doesn't Men's Wearhouse open a spot in East Gate plaza rather than share a building with For Eyes on the impossible left turn into Lenola Road. It's very hard getting into there unless you are driving down going towards Rt. 73. It would do more business at East Gate than at its current location.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus12 View Post
I was also surprised to see BCF choose the old Home Depot site in Cherry Hill as opposed to a more visible site in the town. I felt this BCF was too close to the new one in Cinnaminson, which does good business on Rt. 130 since it opened. A lot of locals dislike the Pavillion/Rt.70 shopping center as it is positioned looking toward Pennsauken even though it is located in Cherry Hill. I saw an article a few years ago about them tearing down the GS Pavillion plaza and transforming it into a downtown transit center for the NJ Transit trains. But overall, people prefer taking the next jughnadle to Wegmans off of 70 & Haddonfield just to avoid the aging and winding road into Shoprite.

As for Ellisburg, I too agree that Trader Joe's would be a nice fit for that Genuardi's location but I have my doubts if TJ's would consider a space there along with lower end tenants (ex. Dollar Tree, Foot Locker, Five Below). It would be quite a contrast considering that fact that the Marlton store is adjacent to Pottery Barn, etc. Bottom Dollar might possible there but ultimately, I think it will takeover the old Shoprite on Brace Rd. an reduce the building to the typical 20,000sF format.

In Moorestown, I never understood why doesn't Men's Wearhouse open a spot in East Gate plaza rather than share a building with For Eyes on the impossible left turn into Lenola Road. It's very hard getting into there unless you are driving down going towards Rt. 73. It would do more business at East Gate than at its current location.
I don't see Trader Joes going to Ellisburg: I guess I was being wishful when I mentioned it. I think Bottom Dollar, ShopRite or H-Mart relocation would be more likely. One probably major downside is that the site (store name/banner) wouldn't be visible from those passing by on 70 E or 70 W, except for the plaza sign if it showed it. The former corner Blockbuster space is more visible from 70, although it's a small pad. Another is it might be too close to the Marlton store-I don't know if TJ keeps stores that close, but one could say it'd pull in a different catchment area (like Collingswood, Haddonfield, and CH shopping traffic).

Re: Men's Wearhouse: Men's Wearhouse likely wanted cheap rent. For them being in Moorestown Mall would be the best option with the greatest exposure, possibly assuming the Lane Furniture store space, that has an external entrance, but it'd likely have to pay a lot more in rent. Although the chain doesn't like being in malls (likely b/c of higher rent), MW is in the Towson Mall-one of the major malls in the Baltimore region. Moorestown should be strengthened from the restaurant w/ liquor, and upgraded movie theater additions by next year.

Oddly enough with Men's Wearhouse and For Eyes here, two national chains, the rent for the unoccupied site in that dinky plaza is likely higher than it should be (it should be low accomodating mom&pop stores) and the former Gateway Country computer store remains unoccupied for what 8-10 years?

East Gate Sq. is suffering as well. Famous Footwear, Linens N Things and Office Max former sites are still unoccupied with just a Ross in the middle (I forget if it's 2 or 3 vacant spaces there), although Modells did move in there (replacing CompUSA). Jennifer Convertibles and Quizno's, Blockbuster and a lot of the smaller sites are unoccupied as well. Mikasa is gone, Modells is a less of a draw over CompUSA, and Best Buy is less of a draw now than 5 years ago.

I don't think Mens Wearhouse would want to move there as the center traffic at East Gate has been in decline. But if DDR or another major shopping center owner bought out that plaza, it could likely pull in K&G Fashion Superstore or someone who'd want a big site, along with other stores, to increase the momentum there, which is needed.

Last edited by avg12; 08-07-2012 at 09:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia