Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the subforum be changed to "Southern New Jersey"?
Yes, with the counties of Atlantic, Cape May and Cumberland included. 50 73.53%
Yes, but only include the current counties in the subforum. 5 7.35%
Yes, but I think there should be a different mix of counties (please explain). 5 7.35%
No, keep it exactly how it is. 8 11.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:00 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Sure it does...lol...

The start of the "Shore area" of NJ is started in Monmouth.....
When we would talk about going to the shore we would speak of heading perhaps to Monmouth. It is the "start of " your areas of southern shores.
( before you hit the towns of Asbury, Pt Pleasant, Seaside,)

Hudson and Bergen are more central "to New York".....They are not really North, nor South. The customs closer to the city in speech and style is different then the upper northern regions of NJ.

You have to agree that people of Morris, Sussex and Warren " ARE" northern Jersey. A whole different type of person grows up in this area.
More rural, more land, no city traits and actually it is "North" Jersey.

Simple as that.....
Haha well I guess that is a different way of thinking about it. I just feel like you are one of only a few people who think of the state's geography that way. Everyone else has more conventional ideas about the North/Central/South divide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave5150 View Post
I think my biggest problem here is that, yes I live in Gloucester county. And my husband works in PA. But I dont live in the Philadelphia suburbs. I live in New Jersey, South Jersey.
Why are these two things exclusive? The relationship between a suburb and a city is based on commuter flow, not necessarily on cultural regions as most people assume.

Quote:
I am culturally NJ. I dont like being told I am in a suburb.
Again, we literally are in a suburb, in both senses of the word, one being the built environment and settlement pattern, the other based on commuter flow. Now, if you want, we can argue that we are a suburb of Camden. It's just that Philly is the bigger job center in the region. Also, while there are many many unique things about NJ that define who we are, I think it is very hard to claim that there is a uniform NJ culture. This state is very very diverse. In the same sense that it doesn't make all that much sense to say that someone is "culturally Californian." There are huge cultural differences between people in SF, people in LA, and people in Bakersfield.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times
Quote:
I think my biggest problem here is that, yes I live in Gloucester county. And my husband works in PA. But I dont live in the Philadelphia suburbs. I live in New Jersey, South Jersey. I dont go into Philly for any kind of excitement really and I spend my money and time in NJ. I am culturally NJ. I dont like being told I am in a suburb. If I wanted to live in the Philly suburbs, i would move west.
This makes no sense to me. You live outside of Philadelphia in Gloucester County but you don't consider your area a suburb? What is it, then? Does this mean someone who lives in Seacaucus NJ is not in suburban NYC? Makes no sense. Are you insulted to live in an area considered to be a suburb of a city located in another state?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:30 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
This makes no sense to me. You live outside of Philadelphia in Gloucester County but you don't consider your area a suburb? What is it, then? Does this mean someone who lives in Seacaucus NJ is not in suburban NYC? Makes no sense. Are you insulted to live in an area considered to be a suburb of a city located in another state?
Generalizations about an entire county do not make it a suburb. Simply because it borders Philly doesn't mean that the entire county should be deemed "suburban".

Same as Burlington County. Although 15-20 miles points east may be considered suburban (commuting area + planned/tract developments), the eastern and southeastern parts are not, IMO, suburban. In fact, part of the 1.0+ million acres of the NJ Pinelands Preservation lie in these areas. I wouldn't consider these areas suburban by any means.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Generalizations about an entire county do not make it a suburb. Simply because it borders Philly doesn't mean that the entire county should be deemed "suburban".

Same as Burlington County. Although 15-20 miles points east may be considered suburban (commuting area + planned/tract developments), the eastern and southeastern parts are not, IMO, suburban. In fact, part of the 1.0+ million acres of the NJ Pinelands Preservation lie in these areas. I wouldn't consider these areas suburban by any means.
Both counties are part of the Philadelphia metro area, and as such, more culturally and economically tied to the city than anything else. Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, and Salem are to Philadelphia no more or less than Bucks, Montgomery, Delaware, and Chester are. Whether parts of these areas are urban, suburban, exurban, or rural, they are all a part of the greater Philadelphia sphere of influence, regardless of whether certain inhabitants chafe at such realities. Still, that does not mean South Jersey can't have its own subforum, if only because creating a "Jersey Shore" subsection would probably not attract enough foot traffic to be justifiable.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:06 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Well the whole of New Jersey as a thread is quite messed up. ( Sorry Administration..
Here is what is needed: ( well to make everyone happy)

Southern New Jersey.....Ok that is your Cape May, Atlantic, Cumberland, Mommouth, Ocean.

Northern ....Morris Country, Sussex Country, Warren County. You need a northern area for towns such as Morristown, Hackettstown, Hope, Washington ( they are not suburbs of Philly)

Central... All those counties inbetween. Hudson, Bergan, Summerset...etc.

New Jersey in one lump sum is all not the same. When I lived in Denville, I considered myself a suburb of New York City.

Yep, NJ needs some work. I'd cut it in three...
??????????

Monmouth & Ocean are not South Jersey. Those counties are tied to NYC.

The basis of North Jersey & South Jersey is East Jersey & West Jersey.

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-02-2012 at 04:17 AM..

Old 05-02-2012, 05:17 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Interestingly, I'm pretty sure that Salem County is tied to Philly not through connectivity through Gloucester County, but by connectivity through Wilmington, DE/New Castle County.
The connectivity goes by what football and baseball games you get on your local channels. If the default team is Eagles and Phillies you're part of the Philly suburbs!

I do not consider Monmouth and Ocean Counties south Jersey, but central, for the person who posted that. A few years ago one of the news stations tried to find the dividing line between north and south based on concentrations of Giants vs. Eagles fans, and I know it was in central jersey but can't remember the town they decided on.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:27 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Haha well I guess that is a different way of thinking about it. I just feel like you are one of only a few people who think of the state's geography that way. Everyone else has more conventional ideas about the North/Central/South divide.
What I find so funny is that people of "Ocean County" don't think they are "South." NJ Shore = South
When a Northern person ( Myself from Denville, Stanhope, NJ) says they are going to the shore...they are heading far "south."
When we head to Monmouth and its shores we state "we are heading south."
I guess I am nonconventional...and I saw that in the poll. ( floored me,lol)

Central to New York ...is what the mid area and surrounds of the city mean to me. ( different way of thinking)

Its no wonder why they don't have all the areas covered in NJ.( on CD)
All of a sudden ( or not) NJ's geography is changing.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:51 AM

869 posts, read 1,494,507 times
Quote:
Why are these two things exclusive? The relationship between a suburb and a city is based on commuter flow, not necessarily on cultural regions as most people assume.

Again, we literally are in a suburb, in both senses of the word, one being the built environment and settlement pattern, the other based on commuter flow. Now, if you want, we can argue that we are a suburb of Camden. It's just that Philly is the bigger job center in the region. Also, while there are many many unique things about NJ that define who we are, I think it is very hard to claim that there is a uniform NJ culture. This state is very very diverse. In the same sense that it doesn't make all that much sense to say that someone is "culturally Californian." There are huge cultural differences between people in SF, people in LA, and people in Bakersfield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I live in a Cherry Hill suburb. If I must say I live in the suburbs, which I am not debating, I live in the Cherry Hill suburbs. I go to school there. I will be working there. I shop there. I eat there. Just because I live in proximity to Philly doesnt make me a suburbanite of Philly.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:19 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
I live in a Cherry Hill suburb. If I must say I live in the suburbs, which I am not debating, I live in the Cherry Hill suburbs. I go to school there. I will be working there. I shop there. I eat there. Just because I live in proximity to Philly doesnt make me a suburbanite of Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia