Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 10:47 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,092 times

Advertisements

This is an issue created by our "leaders" in Washington so they generate hate which will lead to support for wars.

I am serious, why is this even important? I turn on the radio every morning on my way to drop off my kids to day care, and all they talk about is this like this IS the most important issue facing us. What about deficit, what about jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 05:26 AM

57,303 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
This is an issue created by our "leaders" in Washington so they generate hate which will lead to support for wars.

I am serious, why is this even important? I turn on the radio every morning on my way to drop off my kids to day care, and all they talk about is this like this IS the most important issue facing us. What about deficit, what about jobs?
There is an election coming up in 2 months and this is an easy target for politicians and the media, especially with the anniversary of 9/11 next week. They don’t have any answers to the tough issues so they grab a simple issue that can polarize create attention. I have not heard any reasonable debate on solutions to the problems that face us from the incumbents or their opponents.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:36 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post

I've learned more than I had originally as well.
I'm not as against it anymore, but I still believe they should move it in case of further mayhem such as vandalism. I'd hate to see the Mosque built there and then see graffiti and other damage committed on it-For the sake of peace on both ends, just move it.
I guess they'll decide one way or the other, but I predict that as soon as some other story comes along, this will fade away. The mosque will not be built for three to five years anyway, so by that time it may all just be reduced to a giant yawn.

I hope there is no vandalism, either, but then again, they've been quietly meeting there for more than a year without any incidents while the neighborhood just goes on around them. Of course, the current building is already damaged and has graffiti and pretty much looks like crap, so vandalism would be pointless.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:57 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I apologize for making this thread.
Please don't. It let us all voice our opinions on this very sensitive subject. It's been one fantastic debate, and I am sure we are all wiser for having participated.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 AM

367 posts, read 960,170 times
They have a legal right to build the mosque wherever they choose. That being said, they have a moral obligation to build further away. What they eventually choose to do will speak volumes about their actual motives.
My opinion? Building this mosque will be akin to taking a victory lap after bringing down the two towers.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
They have a legal right to build the mosque wherever they choose. That being said, they have a moral obligation to build further away. What they eventually choose to do will speak volumes about their actual motives.
My opinion? Building this mosque will be akin to taking a victory lap after bringing down the two towers.
Why? Do you have anything that indicates that this congregation had a connection to the terrorist attacks? The imam's been in the city for decades now and is well known in the interfaith and political communities, and usually the fundamentalist types that carry out and/or support terrorism look down on the Sufis as not being authentic Muslims.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:22 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,820,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Why?
They've asked the developers "why" and we're not given a reason- Which leads to suspicion. If it wasn't a big deal they'd be more open and less secretive about the whole plan.

That's why.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:34 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,163,318 times
It is not a mosque.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:50 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Your view of sensitivity, however, isn't necessarily that of everyone. I am a WTC survivor, and I don't find the mosque's location insensitive. Neither to do the families of the dead who support it. We don't connect this mosque to the 9/11 attacks, and that is the difference.
Fair enough, although I personally find it insensitive. JMO.

I'm not connecting the peaceful Muslims and those who want to build this mosque with 9/11. But I'm not going to pretend that it wasn't the religion, however warped the radicals' views are, that contributed to this attack.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Fair enough, although I personally find it insensitive. JMO.

I'm not connecting the peaceful Muslims and those who want to build this mosque with 9/11. But I'm not going to pretend that it wasn't the religion, however warped the radicals' views are, that contributed to this attack.
I don't think anyone's saying that the religion, or at least the fundamentalist version of it, had nothing to do with the attacks. These terrorists truly believe that Americans are all out to destroy Islam, kill Muslim children, and take over Muslim lands. They see the 9/11 attacks as justified revenge, and their mindset is definitely tied to their religion. If you can persuade yourself that you're murdering for God, I suppose it makes it that much easier to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey