Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizu View Post
Tell me something: when smokers can't smoke, they don't: hospitals, planes, conferences and lectures, class rooms etc.

What's the difference? Why not consider you can't smoke in the apartment and there would be no problem?
They don't have any problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 09:00 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Well, I think we went full circle. Retriever not only worded it very well, he also spoke the truth.

I do want to mention that if I were a smoker and a neighbor came to me explaining my smoke is sipping into his unit, I would stop smoking in mine. But that's just me I guess....

Just to be clear then, speaking with you would have solved the problem...? Interesting, considering the other thread....

Old 08-11-2013, 09:13 PM

39 posts, read 82,661 times
Yes, it would have. But I have never found another "me" anywhere/ anytime. All I got was defensive and sometimes aggressive reactions. I am a little blaze when it comes to that method...

Old 08-11-2013, 09:28 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Well, I think we went full circle. Retriever not only worded it very well, he also spoke the truth.

I do want to mention that if I were a smoker and a neighbor came to me explaining my smoke is sipping into his unit, I would stop smoking in mine. But that's just me I guess....
You really wouldn't. And I don't think that you think that you would either. Judging by how freely you want to tell others what to do and not to do in their own homes, I have no doubt that no one could ever make a complaint to you that would cause a change in behavior. It's all about me is written all about you.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:42 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Quote:
Tell me something: when smokers can't smoke, they don't: hospitals, planes, conferences and lectures, class rooms etc.

What's the difference? Why not consider you can't smoke in the apartment and there would be no problem?
The difference is the smoker doesn't own the hospital, plane, conference room or classroom. After a smoker can't smoke in any of these places all day, that person looks forward to getting home to be free to smoke inside his or her own sanctuary. (Some condo units may not have balconies to stand outside to smoke.)

Old 08-12-2013, 03:04 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Quote:
Yes, it would have. But I have never found another "me" anywhere/ anytime. All I got was defensive and sometimes aggressive reactions. I am a little blaze when it comes to that method...
How do you know someone's not purposely blowing smoke under your door to stink up your place to get "you" to move?

Old 08-12-2013, 03:05 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airace View Post
We've been through this before ourselves.(apartment not condo).

talk to the offender(s)...

... look up all Jersey City Ordinances that pertain to "disturbing the peace" after 10pm or 11pm - most NJ towns have something along those lines. You can ask the local PD for these.
Once you nail down something that can be more or less applied to you, call the cops when this happens after 10/11pm. Bother the cops and the neighbors enough times and you should see some results down the line
Love the terminology! "Offender"... That's rich since smoking tobacco is a legal activity.

Indeed, the only offender I see here is this poster, who appears to have filed false police reports and illegally harassed their neighbor!

As to the OP's enquiry, there is nothing they can do to selfishly force the neighboring occupant to stop a legal activity in their own property. The onus is up to the OP to mitigate their own space; Anything otherwise would be a violation of the smoking neighbor's property rights.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:20 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,413 times
Quote:
Why are we raising a society of selfish pricks?

If the people cooking curry are made aware that their smell disturbs others, they must at the *very least* apologize and offer to curb their use of it.
Wanna cook curry and create a situation which didn't pre-exist? You'd better make sure it won't bother others and take every precaution to limit your impact on unwilling parties.
Wanna leave in a different society from the one you were born in? Then *** assimilate***. Otherwise what's the point of immigrating?

The OP should not have to move. What is his condo suits his personal circumstances just fine otherwise. Being smoked out is unfair to him.
Stop cooking with curry? Don't flatter yourself, pal! The only selfish pr#% I see here is you, selfishly expecting people in their private homes to accommodate your every whim and want, just because a few odors that you dont like waft into your space.

The OP will have to put up with it or move.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You really wouldn't. And I don't think that you think that you would either. Judging by how freely you want to tell others what to do and not to do in their own homes, I have no doubt that no one could ever make a complaint to you that would cause a change in behavior. It's all about me is written all about you.

Marc - you don't know me better than myself and you are "misreading" into what I have been writing.

I am telling I would stop. I don't have the right to bother anyone and it is not right.

Expecting others to be considerate instead of taking as much "space" as they can or want does not mean I am trying to tell other people what to do or not do.
If I had my way, I precisely would not have to utter a word, they'd know their actions have consequences on their neighbors and take that into account. There would not problem, meaning no vexed party.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
The difference is the smoker doesn't own the hospital, plane, conference room or classroom. After a smoker can't smoke in any of these places all day, that person looks forward to getting home to be free to smoke inside his or her own sanctuary. (Some condo units may not have balconies to stand outside to smoke.)

Can't wait to get home and smoke himself up, his unit and his neighbors in the process (but hey that part does not matter to him as much).

I would not call a unit in an apartment building a sanctuary. I know you meant personal space but he must take into account his neighbors out of courtesy.
You probably would not appreciate it if the tables were turned and it were done to you.

Other example: say I live above you and work long hours. So I put on my heels and walk around my place for 40 mns while getting reading to head out at 5 AM. It's my apartment, my habit, my way of doing things, the way I like it. "Who are you to tell me how I should live"?

See how this simply doesn't work?

Smoking is such a bad addiction and a cigarettes truly are a bad product.
Smokers, please tell me: what about those electronics cigarettes. Why haven't smokers massively switched to them? What's "missing" from them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey