Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2012, 06:10 PM

283 posts, read 667,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest20 View Post
How about a lawn mowing service?
Guest20:

We are not using any lawn mowing service, but we have seen several signs posted by Maharaj Landscaping, Inc in the complex. Phone: 908-229-3212. We have heard it charges $30 per cutting and 2 cuttings/month, which is quite reasonable (others may insist on coming each week).

Also we have found out that we grossly overpaid for garbage disposal machine (below kitchen sink) to the builder. We paid $850 for the machine. Some homeowners installed it privately with only $250 ($150 for machine, $100 for installation).

Similarly we paid $1200 for two garage door installations. Some ordered with home depot for $600-700.

Yogesh Upadhyaya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 06:34 PM

20 posts, read 65,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogesh Upadhyaya View Post
Guest20:

We are not using any lawn mowing service, but we have seen several signs posted by Maharaj Landscaping, Inc in the complex. Phone: 908-229-3212. We have heard it charges $30 per cutting and 2 cuttings/month, which is quite reasonable (others may insist on coming each week).

Also we have found out that we grossly overpaid for garbage disposal machine (below kitchen sink) to the builder. We paid $850 for the machine. Some homeowners installed it privately with only $250 ($150 for machine, $100 for installation).

Similarly we paid $1200 for two garage door installations. Some ordered with home depot for $600-700.

Yogesh Upadhyaya
Yogesh,

That is exactly why we did not get the garbage disposal or the garage door openers. I priced out everything before getting upgrades and made the decision to get the upgrades that would cost more later and left off the ones that I could get later for less that I did not have to break walls to put in. I will not be using someone in the community to do my lawn. If I don't like the job or have to get rid of them, they will still be my neighbors and I have to see them in the neighborhood on a regular basis which can be uncomfortable. Also I don't want them in my yard or around my house and possible talking to other neighbors about my home or personal things. I will use another service that charges the same amount.

Kathy

Old 10-09-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akboo1 View Post
Yogesh,

That is exactly why we did not get the garbage disposal or the garage door openers. I priced out everything before getting upgrades and made the decision to get the upgrades that would cost more later and left off the ones that I could get later for less that I did not have to break walls to put in. I will not be using someone in the community to do my lawn. If I don't like the job or have to get rid of them, they will still be my neighbors and I have to see them in the neighborhood on a regular basis which can be uncomfortable. Also I don't want them in my yard or around my house and possible talking to other neighbors about my home or personal things. I will use another service that charges the same amount.

Kathy
Maharaj Landscaping, Inc is a Lawn mowing company based in Warren, NJ. They just post their signs here wherever they work. It is not from our development. I have heard people are happy about them. The price comes to about $600 /yr compared to $1200/yr for weekly cutters. However, someone should check with them about price/services.

Anyhow the yards are very small, 60 ft x 100 ft, or about 6,535 sq ft each (unless opted for bigger or corner plot). Subtract the home foot print area of about 1,600-2,000 sq ft and there is little grass to cut.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:20 AM

62 posts, read 147,154 times
What you guys thinking about chandeliers? i know in older threads some people didnt want to install them bcoz they are afraid it may fall. Did anyone research if getting from chester makes sense or get it later from other lightning shops? I would imagine it would cost a lot more to hang up later.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:49 AM

9 posts, read 17,142 times
We got quite a few of our light fixtures and all ceiling fans from Chester Lighting- they are extremely annoying to work with, however, when we bought our house, they were offering 20% off fixtures for Summerfields residents. Don't know if the offer still stands.

We picked out what we wanted and then did price checks online against other retailers. Chester Lighting's prices (with the 20% off) were always within the price range we found for the same fixtures online, and sometimes the prices were even better.

That said, a couple of the fixtures we ordered were backordered. Chester informed us that anything that didn't arrive by the time the electrician was ready to install (due to back order) would be our responsibility to install. The result was that we ended up having to install our own foyer chandelier. I tried to get a couple of the guys from D&C Electric during the day to come by and do it but they seemed hesitant and never showed. If you contact Scott from D&C Electric to come hang your fixture after the fact, he'll easily charge $175.

Finally my father in law ended up installing it for us, but it was a huge process.

The box in the foyer is strong enough to hold at least 30lbs of weight. If you're concerned about hanging heavy fixtures elsewhere in the house, invest in getting a reinforced heavy-weight box that holds approximately 75lbs. Most light fixtures that you put in your house won't weigh more than 30lbs.

Again, we went with Chester Lighting because their prices were pretty spot on to what other online retailers charge for the same fixtures due the 20% off. I got frustrated working with them though because the sales associate that was helping us was disorganized, never returned phone calls in a timely fashion, and seemed to push his own agenda. They tried very hard to get us to buy every single light fixture in our home from them. We were already buying 75% of the fixtures from them, and when the sales associate tried to get pushy, I spoke to a manager and told them I would pull my entire order if they didn't back off. They stopped harassing me after that.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:46 PM

62 posts, read 147,154 times
Thanks guestabc - yep the disc's are still same and agree their prices are competitive to something like capitol lighting. From what i understand, chester lighting is doing good business these days with almost all new communities coming their way. they know people will buy from them and they take it for granted.

Also I get a feeling from D&C that once you close they are not willing to work with you anymore. They are not interested in small time job. Neither they would accommodate any spare work after closing. Your are case with foyer just sounds like that.

And the irony is both chester and D&C are next door - but they show no signs of connection... weird... Wonder what kind of electrical contractors help do other lighting stores provide.

If anyone else went thru other retailers please share your thoughts.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:24 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,409,931 times
Default Advice froma retired electrician.

Here is a heads up for those looking to have fixtures installed. The people working for D&C are not licensed electricians. The owner of D&C is the licensed Electrical Contractor and that is why he is asking $175 to come hang your fixtures.
If you get his men to come after hours to hang the fixtures and D&C finds out they will be fired.
Those moonlighters are also not insured while doing after hours off the books work for you.
If you want to have an insured and licensed electrician to hang fixtures I suggest you call a small local guy and pay him his fair wages. The last thing you need is some inexperienced handyman improperly install a chandelier and it comes crashing down on your foyer floor.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:44 AM

We decided not to buy lighting from Chester lighting and asked D&C to provide with standard lighting that comes with the purchase of home and he provided. Upon asking, he informed me that he is having partnership with Chester lighting.

The reason for not getting lighting from Chester lighting was the complex demand by both D&C and Chester lighting. First, D&C said all the lighting, fans, fixtures, etc. has to be from Chester lighting, as he cannot nstall it from other vendors (Home Depot, etc.) due to liability of catching fire, etc. in house under construction. Then he provided list of items to Chester, but not to me. He also told me that I need to vsit Chester lighting store, pick up stuff by myself and carry in my car to the home. (Why owner has to carry the items for contractor?)

When I contacted Chester lighting, he asked me to visit their store preferably on weekends only, at Chester on Route 202/206 off I-287 north. He also asked me to spend couple of hours at store to see and pick up other items. He told me that D&C will install only small standard items (lamps at entrance, etc.) hence better buy from us. (Who has time to spend weekend for such items?)

When I checked with the builder, he replied that we do not necessarily have to buy from what the electric contractor says. Currently, D&C has provided standard lighting for our home, which looks fine. We can change it later, if required. There is one contractor in complex who installs fans for $150 (I do not have his contact info). People can also catch some contractors outside home depot.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:49 PM

20 posts, read 65,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandslam21 View Post
Thanks guestabc - yep the disc's are still same and agree their prices are competitive to something like capitol lighting. From what i understand, chester lighting is doing good business these days with almost all new communities coming their way. they know people will buy from them and they take it for granted.

Also I get a feeling from D&C that once you close they are not willing to work with you anymore. They are not interested in small time job. Neither they would accommodate any spare work after closing. Your are case with foyer just sounds like that.

And the irony is both chester and D&C are next door - but they show no signs of connection... weird... Wonder what kind of electrical contractors help do other lighting stores provide.

If anyone else went thru other retailers please share your thoughts.
D & C and chester lighting are related. The owners are brothers as per their competition. D & C has a contract with Premier and they insist that we go to the brother of D & C. If you don't buy from D & C then your own your own. I felt that if I did not buy from chester than his brother from D & C may not care enough about proper installation with the proper size electrical boxes to hold the right type of lighting. Just a thought.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:50 PM

60 posts, read 142,635 times
Can anyone Please tell when certificate of
Occupancy is issued by builder. I mean how many
Days before closing date it is issued.

My lender needs certificate of occupancy
2 weeks before closing date, is it possible
With Summerfields builder?

Thanks a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey