Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:32 AM

76 posts, read 243,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
no, we're just defining freedom differently. nowhere in this country are you granted the ability to be 100% free. it's a farce if you believe otherwise. you want to be free, buy an island and go live on it by yourself. once you start participating in society, there are certain tradeoffs you make.

the point on topic is...NJ isn't less "free" than new hampshire because of a seatbelt law. or because of a helmet law. these laws exist to protect some freedoms. so you take away freedom A to provide freedoms B and C. if you don't like it, feel free to move to New Hampshire. i fail to see what NJ laws make me less free than someone in another state, yet somehow, we're ranked 49th. Sorry, as NJGOAT pointed out...the difference amongst states is miniscule. we're all pretty much tied at #4.
I do see that having the law force me to wear a seat belt makes me less free, even though wearing a seat belt is a good practice. Not wearing a seat belt may affect others but it does not infringe on their rights. The government has a right to limit my freedoms only when they infringe on the rights of others.
Practically everything we do may AFFECT others in some way. If you don't exercise or eat a poor diet, you increase your risk of having a heart attack or getting another disease, which increases the cost of healthcare in the country. That's something that should be worked out between the person and his insurance company, e.g., your insurance company may charge you more if you smoke.
There are many such examples. They don't justify the government imposing restrictions on us or taking away our freedoms. There is a pretty significanct difference between states like New Hampshire and NJ in this respect. It isn't greater because Federal law trumps state law, so the states are limited by the Constitution as to laws that infringe on our rights. Not that that holds them back much; e.g., they use the interstate commerce clause to justify what you grow in your own yard and consume in your own home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 10:48 AM

23 posts, read 48,703 times
At least you have the freedom to leave. If you don't like it here, move.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:49 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
New Jersey | Mercatus

It's not surprising, and it's pretty embarrassing that we are ranked 1 LOWER than the mess known as California.

Do you agree or disagree with this?
Do you agree or disagree with what makes up our lack of freedoms?

The taxes here just plain suck. Yeah, suck. That's the best word to describe I believe. I also think (well know, I don't think it's a FACT) that we have just TOO much Gov't intereference in our lives.

It's just really depressing, actually.

Some things may seem silly or stupid, but let's be honest here: I should wear a seat belt because I know in the event of a car accident it MAY reduce the chance of death or serious injury. That is information I know. I should NOT be forced to buckle up. I don't mind being advised or suggested, but for it to be illegal? I should pay a fine because I chose to be wreckless?

Some people will be so blind to this because it's common knowledge that we should wear seat belts. But what people DON'T understand is that if someone just doesn't want to wear it and risk themselves -- why does it matter? Why should the governent tell us to buckle up.. then fine us if we don't?

Just seems so insane..
Not only that...........you CAN'T pump your own gas.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:36 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_lepore View Post
True, but it is or should be mainly based on individual factors. And I don't think that living in an area with a higher accident rate justifies restricting the freedom of an individual driver.

This is certainly not specific to NJ, I'm not aware of any private insurance companies in any state who don't use statistical analysis of accident/stolen car stats, rates and probabilities in setting rates in different areas. It also has nothing to do with government as far as I'm aware, but a decision made by private companies. I could be wrong, so if I am please correct me.

BTW, pro-business people would probably say the government would be infringing on the rights of the insurance companies to do business as they see fit if they challenged this method of determining rates as unfair to individuals.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:51 PM

306 posts, read 605,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
At least you have the freedom to leave. If you don't like it here, move.

That's EXACTLY what we did because NJ sucks!!!! Don't miss it one bit, nor do I miss the people that live there...

Old 06-25-2011, 07:54 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
That's EXACTLY what we did because NJ sucks!!!! Don't miss it one bit, nor do I miss the people that live there...
Where did you move to?

Old 06-26-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Where did you move to?
WV and it is great!!!! Not a house in site...privacy at it's best, no nosey neighbors, and the most polite and friendly people when you do run in to them at the local stores. And it's a hell of a lot cheaper than Dirty Jersey!! And I get to pump my own gas which is a plus. I'm not lazy enough to sit in my car and let someone do it for me...

Old 06-26-2011, 07:06 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Not only that...........you CAN'T pump your own gas.
Pumping your own gas is highly overrated.
While it is nice not having to wait on a slow attendant. Pumping your own in the rain is a PITA not to mention when the pump kicks back a little gas on your clean pants/dress.

While operating a gas pump is not rocket science I have seen plenty of "educated" people who were lost when trying to pump their own.
Plus NJ employs lots of minimum wage pumpers that the pump your own states send to the welfare office.

NJ gas prices have always been cheaper than the pump your own states.

BTW most NJ stations will let their regular customers pump their own gas if it make them feel better.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:09 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
WV and it is great!!!! Not a house in site...privacy at it's best, no nosey neighbors, and the most polite and friendly people when you do run in to them at the local stores. And it's a hell of a lot cheaper than Dirty Jersey!! And I get to pump my own gas which is a plus. I'm not lazy enough to sit in my car and let someone do it for me...
I have all that with the exception of having to pump my own gas. My preference is not to anyways. I rather keep the people employed. I guess my house isn't as cheap as it would be down there, but I also make a lot more up here than I would down there. So it's relative.

Gasoline in WV is pricey compared to NJ though.

Everyone has different preferences. If not being able to pump your gas bothers you, you don't have to get gas here. Obviously people in NJ are here because the laws don't bother them.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I have all that with the exception of having to pump my own gas. My preference is not to anyways. I rather keep the people employed. I guess my house isn't as cheap as it would be down there, but I also make a lot more up here than I would down there. So it's relative.

Gasoline in WV is pricey compared to NJ though.

Everyone has different preferences. If not being able to pump your gas bothers you, you don't have to get gas here. Obviously people in NJ are here because the laws don't bother them.
People employed??? Most are probably illegal. I didn't know of one American owned station when I left 3 years ago.

I happen to have a "nice" salary, making equivalent to what those in NJ make for my profession, so for me it's a win, win situation. Same salary as if I worked in NJ, and much cheaper cost of living.

I pay $3.35 for gas. What's the cost up there at the present time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey