Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 01:41 PM

501 posts, read 1,429,900 times

Advertisements

^ This +1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGraeme View Post
Reminds me of these quotes, as true as ever. I don't feel particularly safe in my fairly nice neighbor hood; there's still a lot of crime here. And the government has imposed so many rules, taxes, and laws, I feel distinctly unfree. E.g., you're responsible for the trees on the street in front of your where I live; if it dies, you have to replace it with at your own expense with a city-approved tree.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

"When they took the fourth amendment, I did not speak up because I had nothing to hide. When they took the fifth amendment, I didn't speak up because I knew I was innocent. When they took the second amendment, I didn't speak up because I don't own a gun. Now they are taking the first amendment, and I cannot speak up at all."
--anonymous
Understandable. It all depends on the area you live in. Every town and city have different rules and laws depending on their current events. If you live in a city that is known to have gun related crimes, then yeah, you are definitely going to feel a little unsafe. Every city has its nice parts and suspcious parts. (i.e. In the Portuguese section of Newark, the streets and houses look fairly okay enough that these families are able to raise their kids. I still keep an awareness up though.)

In general for both the state and country, as it's been mentioned before, there is no place that's without crime unless you're in an area that's not densely populated. In an area that's less populated or lack of serious crime, the rules/laws are going to be more flexible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
every person i know, from every town in america, says the same thing about the cops in their towns. heck...i got a ticket in VT for going 7 mph over the speed limit, and it was right after the speed limit signs changed. this isn't something unique to NJ.
Reminds me of the time my mother got pulled over in some rural road in South Carolina. O__o There were not too many cars around. We're driving next to a farm. No speed limit sign to be found. Suddenly, a police car comes up behind us out of nowhere just to make sure she's driving ok and gave her a light warning. And I've been told (in jest?) by a fellow C-D member here that it's because we carry the NJ plate. ^^; I can imagine that not much crime occurs in that particular area...or it was a very slow day for the police there. <_<
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 03:20 PM

46 posts, read 106,732 times
I've lived here all my life, and I'm relatively young, so hearing all of this made me realize that it is sad that this is all I've ever known. Living here, I expect people to just wear their seatbelts, for example. I didn't even know that in other states its a guideline. And in terms of gas, I used to be very pro-Jersey on this because it provided jobs, especially in recent years. But now, sometimes I sit at the gas station and wished that I could just do it myself and not have to wait upwards of 5 minutes for it to happen. I guess I agree with the overall sentiment of the group, that as Americans, who's first Amendment provides freedom to its citizens, we should have the freedom to adhere or disregard these things that quite frankly aren't important.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:41 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcrum View Post
I've lived here all my life, and I'm relatively young, so hearing all of this made me realize that it is sad that this is all I've ever known. Living here, I expect people to just wear their seatbelts, for example. I didn't even know that in other states its a guideline. And in terms of gas, I used to be very pro-Jersey on this because it provided jobs, especially in recent years. But now, sometimes I sit at the gas station and wished that I could just do it myself and not have to wait upwards of 5 minutes for it to happen. I guess I agree with the overall sentiment of the group, that as Americans, who's first Amendment provides freedom to its citizens, we should have the freedom to adhere or disregard these things that quite frankly aren't important.
there's only 1 state without some sort of seatbelt laws.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:46 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
^ This +1!

Understandable. It all depends on the area you live in. Every town and city have different rules and laws depending on their current events. If you live in a city that is known to have gun related crimes, then yeah, you are definitely going to feel a little unsafe. Every city has its nice parts and suspcious parts. (i.e. In the Portuguese section of Newark, the streets and houses look fairly okay enough that these families are able to raise their kids. I still keep an awareness up though.)

In general for both the state and country, as it's been mentioned before, there is no place that's without crime unless you're in an area that's not densely populated. In an area that's less populated or lack of serious crime, the rules/laws are going to be more flexible.

Reminds me of the time my mother got pulled over in some rural road in South Carolina. O__o There were not too many cars around. We're driving next to a farm. No speed limit sign to be found. Suddenly, a police car comes up behind us out of nowhere just to make sure she's driving ok and gave her a light warning. And I've been told (in jest?) by a fellow C-D member here that it's because we carry the NJ plate. ^^; I can imagine that not much crime occurs in that particular area...or it was a very slow day for the police there. <_<
if you're breaking the law and have an out of state plate anywhere in the country, you're an easy target, because they know you won't fight it.

my point was...it's common everywhere. i've heard this complain from all over the place. they aren't called speed traps for nothing...they usually sit in strategic places, like where a speed limit drops from 35 to 25, and nab people.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:20 PM

76 posts, read 174,303 times
The Mercatus Institute’s freedom score was significantly linked to (by state)- lower educational attainment (measured by percent of Bachelor degrees or higher), lower population density, lower per capita GDP, increased infant mortality, increased accident mortality, increased incidence of suicide, increased firearm mortality, decreased industrial R&D, and increased income inequality.

A Followup On The Mercatus Freedom Study | ThinkProgress

Old 06-15-2011, 12:05 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
If you look at the areas with a low "freedom score" they are all also the highest and most densely populated states (or contain areas of extremely high population density where most of the people live). "Nanny" state laws and rules are a direct result of population density. The more people you cram into an area, the more rules and regulations you need to keep everything functioning efficiently.

If you live in Wyoming, you don't care what your neighbor does with his property as that "neighbor" might be a mile down the road. Here in NJ, that neighbor might be less than 50' or even attached to you and you start to care about the rules that govern what they can and can't do.

If you want to see "freedom" in action head down to Houston which is the only city in the U.S. with no zoning laws, zip, zero, none. They have bars next to elementary schools, strip clubs next to churches and amusement parks built in residential neighborhoods.

I am an advocate for personal freedom, but that needs to be tempered with the reality of living in a densely populated area where rules are needed.
Mixed use neighborhood. You never know when you need to stop by the strip club after attending church services

Old 06-15-2011, 12:09 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Many New Jerseyites don't mind people pumping there gas and Fireworks are dangerous.....
Pumping gas is very easy. People in 48 other states have no trouble pumping gas. Most places you can pay at the pump and no need to wait on line and there is at least a roof so you are out of the weather somewhat

I had a friend in college who pumped gas at a NJTP service area and he would over charge cash paying people by a couple bucks . And pocket the difference. if someone looked at the pump... "oh im sorry." But most people didnt look and 22 or 24 dollars most people wouldnt know the difference

Old 06-16-2011, 12:27 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Pumping gas is very easy. People in 48 other states have no trouble pumping gas. Most places you can pay at the pump and no need to wait on line and there is at least a roof so you are out of the weather somewhat

I had a friend in college who pumped gas at a NJTP service area and he would over charge cash paying people by a couple bucks . And pocket the difference. if someone looked at the pump... "oh im sorry." But most people didnt look and 22 or 24 dollars most people wouldnt know the difference
I've never met anyone who doesn't look at the pump or receipt.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:32 AM

76 posts, read 242,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
If you look at the areas with a low "freedom score" they are all also the highest and most densely populated states (or contain areas of extremely high population density where most of the people live). "Nanny" state laws and rules are a direct result of population density. The more people you cram into an area, the more rules and regulations you need to keep everything functioning efficiently.
If you want to see "freedom" in action head down to Houston which is the only city in the U.S. with no zoning laws, zip, zero, none. They have bars next to elementary schools, strip clubs next to churches and amusement parks built in residential neighborhoods.

I am an advocate for personal freedom, but that needs to be tempered with the reality of living in a densely populated area where rules are needed.
As the old saying goes, my freedom ends where another person;s freedom begins. New Jersey goes way beyond that; it has all sorts of laws restricting personal freedoms that do not in themselves infringe on other people, like the seatbelt law and the laws making it very difficult to own a gun. Note that the important point is "infringe." Anything we do may *affect* others. If we go be that criterion, the government can pass any law it wants, no matter how much it infringes on our personal freedoms.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:55 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_lepore View Post
As the old saying goes, my freedom ends where another person;s freedom begins. New Jersey goes way beyond that; it has all sorts of laws restricting personal freedoms that do not in themselves infringe on other people, like the seatbelt law and the laws making it very difficult to own a gun. Note that the important point is "infringe." Anything we do may *affect* others. If we go be that criterion, the government can pass any law it wants, no matter how much it infringes on our personal freedoms.
all states but 1 have a seatbelt law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey