Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 06:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Why should the injury matter? Why should we be forced by law to do something that we should already do.
You can still be injured badly in a car accident WITH the seat belt. Does it make a difference if you broke your neck with or without a seat belt? No. You broke your neck.

Allowing them to tell us what we should and shouldn't do -- and letting then take our money for not listening to them -- is a disgrace.
Yes it does matter whether you are wearing a seatbelt or not. Statistically, not wearing a seatbelt creates a greater burden on the health system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 06:51 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,476 times
Most NJ folk like the nanny laws. I love it when people say that they dont want to pump their own gas because of various reasons...so no one should have a choice then lol. Personally, I dont care either way but it is just funny how whiney NJ people are in general,

Old 06-10-2011, 06:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Most NJ folk like the nanny laws. I love it when people say that they dont want to pump their own gas because of various reasons...so no one should have a choice then lol. Personally, I dont care either way but it is just funny how whiney NJ people are in general,
When I made that comment, I didn't really think of the option of having a choice. I assumed it would be one way or the other. I suppose there could be gas stations that work both ways and one could choose which one to go to.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:23 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
New Jersey | Mercatus

It's not surprising, and it's pretty embarrassing that we are ranked 1 LOWER than the mess known as California.

Do you agree or disagree with this?
I'm considering replacing "The Garden State" on my license plate with "The Police State". It's against the law to do so (of course) but there's a Supreme Court decision that says otherwise.

I've been here a year. I don't commute by car, like I did in PA. In PA I'd get a ticket every few years, either speeding or because I didn't get the car inspected. In NJ, every time I step in the car there's a cop waiting for me; just got a seat belt ticket, got a parking ticket for parking outside my house the first day I moved here, got a tow and a ticket (unsupported by the law, but I'm still out the money for the tow even though the ticket was dismissed in court after two appearances) for an unregistered vehicle (which was registered), got a ticket for speeding and "weaving" on I-280, etc.

Want to do anything to your house, like add a new electrical outlet? Need a permit or three or twenty. Want to ride an electric bicycle? Sorry, not allowed.

These nanny state laws are going to end me up in jail likely enough. So, yeah, I agree completely.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:47 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
If the laws really bothered me, I wouldn't ***** about it on an internet board. I'd leave.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
If the laws really bothered me, I wouldn't ***** about it on an internet board. I'd leave.
Indeed , i'm so sick of people whining online , if you don't like the place you live , espically if your a transplant then Get the F*** out.....do research before you move.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:14 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
NJ Ranks #49 in overall freedom!
Maybe so but we've got great pizza.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:28 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
I'll be honest. I am SOMEWHAT OK with some nanny laws like the seat belt law I mentioned previously, simply because we SHOULD wear them anyway. (But believe me, I totally understand how it is against our freedom to have it). .. but what kills me are the taxes.

We want to move to Nevada/Vegas one day. If you look at the other states, Nevada is #6 in freedom .. So, what I did was I found an online payroll calculator. I input my info for the job I have now.. and I did it for if I made the same exact money in Nevada.

The differences were depressing. I would make about ~$80 more a month in Nevada. $80 isn't alot, but at the moment I don't make a lot... so therefore, $80 is a lot. And plus.. it's my F'in money, let me keep it >_<
My partner's difference was close to $60 a month. That's $140 a month that we could have.

UGH.
*prays that this economy gets better so he can leave NJ*
Good luck in Vegas. Hope you don't want ever want to educate a young 'un there or have a safe contionous supply of water. Oh and lets not even mention the crime or forcolsure rates because taxes are cheap. Plus when it's 110 outside it doesn't really feel like it because its a dry heat.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:25 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Some people have more freedom in Nj than others. Depends who you ask. Not evertone has a paid subscription to all the laws.

You can be as free as you want to be.

Just ask mainstream gang members as one example.

Fireworks are a diagnostic test. If half the state would be burned down it would validate why NJ is a feeding ground for career politicians of every stripe and the teachers union.

Among the lawyers, career politicians and criminals our freedoms are being challenged on the great slippery slope created by entirely by laws which destroy what it pretends to protect.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:07 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Good luck in Vegas. Hope you don't want ever want to educate a young 'un there or have a safe contionous supply of water. Oh and lets not even mention the crime or forcolsure rates because taxes are cheap. Plus when it's 110 outside it doesn't really feel like it because its a dry heat.
1. No I'm not having any kids.
2. Yes it's a desert, but the hoover dam supplies water and electric to the area
3. You do realize Vegas, like.. everywhere else in the world, has good parts and bad parts? You realize that your car can get stolen in the nicer parts of NJ too, and not just in Newark and Camden.
4. I've been to Vegas many many, many times. I've been there when the high was 116. It was hot, but this week when we had our 100 degree heatwave WITH high humidity.. it felt worse than that day it was 116 in Vegas. So yeah I personally consider the weather better there.

Plus it's big and spacious (Nevada). I hate our big cluster 'F' of people we have in this Philly - NJ - DE- NY mess. Just tooooo many people. Ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey