Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 06:17 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times

Advertisements

Look at the source, most messed up list yet. I can see the exodus to South Dakota now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 07:11 PM

807 posts, read 1,033,531 times
The Mercatus Center is run by right-wing nut jobs. Notice how all the states with "less freedom" are usually blue states. Not sure why they equate regulations to freedom. I am glad that NJ doesn't allow any screw ball to own a gun, or blow smoke in my face in a restaurant. I also don't mind paying higher property taxes for excellent schools. It's still much cheaper than paying for private schools, so really our high taxes are a bargain, not to mention our much higher than average income and property values.

I do agree that NJ is a police state. Outside the big cities, there is very little crime, there is no reason for all the cops we have that just sit at their traps and pull people over for speeding or check for seat belts. And I know for a fact that cops in NJ have quotas for ticketing and arrests. Our judicial system is nothing more than a huge money maker for the players (judges and attorneys).

Old 06-11-2011, 07:29 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,664 times
I always find it funny when out-of-state friends give me a hard time about full-serve gas stations. To me that's a luxury, not an encroachment on my freedom.

Old 06-11-2011, 07:54 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The water issue was a valid point. I read an article a few years ago during the height of the Vegas building/population boom about how in the future water was going to be a problem. The percentages for how much water various cities get to take from the Colorado were set back in the 1930's, when Vegas was a little nothing town. As the population is growing and people insist on having lawns in the desert, there is eventually going to be a shortage. Maybe it's not so critical now, though, with all the foreclosures and people moving out who once thought Vegas would be their home for life.
in the past decade or two they've upgraded their water infrastructure to basically state of the art. yes, they are limited to how much they can use. so they addressed this by having grey-water system and drinking water system. they also provide incentives for people to convert lawns into desert lawns. the water is a concern, but they seem to be addressing it very well.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:05 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
so states 1-47 don't allow you the "freedom" to engage in your livelihood?
apparently those lack of freedoms in 48, 49, and 50 somehow help foster a safe environment for people to live and work! amazing.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:14 AM

501 posts, read 1,429,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
You can't have guns,
Don't need it. You can feel pretty much safe throughout the entire state. >.> Wish we could go a bit further for our cities to be as safe as a suburb or even Japan, where the most damage you can get is from knives. (Although, people do manage to sneak some guns into the system, but that's very very rare.)

Quote:
fireworks
Can be noisy and unsafe. But you know what, lots of people have gone around this law anyways. My neighbor has already done their own little fireworks show during 4th of July (-- very light popping and small distance flares). In other occassions, you could hear a "pop pop" from someone's house from somewhere in the neighborhood.

Quote:
pump your own gas
Ever been stuck in a crowded self-service rest area? You have to wait in line with other drivers. Then, in come some store shoppers, who add more to the line. So to me, there is just a small difference between being in a car line or a human line. At least, with the car line, you just wait patiently, pump, pay and then, go. With the human line, you may have to wait outside in a long car line in order to pump your gas. And then, wait inside to pay.... >__> Now, picture this scenario in some of NJ's most crowded rest areas if the service was both full and self-service.

The other perk of full service, you don't have to go out of the car when the weather isn't so nice. It's been like this for years and many Jerseyans enjoy it.

Quote:
they even wanted to get rid of brazillian waxing lol
Yay...

Old 06-12-2011, 06:20 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,176,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Many New Jerseyites don't mind people pumping there gas and Fireworks are dangerous.....
Yea, they don't mind. If we are giving a choice save $0.15 or so a gallon pumping our own gas, I am sure some of us would prefer to pump our own gas. $0.15 x 40 gallons is $6, that's almost 2 gallons of gas.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:08 AM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I always find it funny when out-of-state friends give me a hard time about full-serve gas stations. To me that's a luxury, not an encroachment on my freedom.
Me, too! Self-serve doesn't bring prices down, either. A station owner told me before that any money saved by not having employees is more than offset by the much higher cost of liability insurance required at pump-your-own stations.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:12 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Me, too! Self-serve doesn't bring prices down, either. A station owner told me before that any money saved by not having employees is more than offset by the much higher cost of liability insurance required at pump-your-own stations.
New Jersey used to have a law requiring gas be pumped by a station employee. That kept thousands of young boys off the street

Old 06-12-2011, 07:39 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
New Jersey used to have a law requiring gas be pumped by a station employee. That kept thousands of young boys off the street
Don't we still have that law on the books?
Otherwise, why would NJ still have no self-service gas stations?

Incidentally, just because you supposedly can't pump your own gas in NJ, that doesn't mean that you really can't do it yourself.
Even though I do allow the gas station employee to begin the process (many stations require entry of a code in order to start the pump), I frequently finish the process myself.

This way, I avoid having the tank overfilled (which can damage the car's expensive Onboard Vapor Recovery system), I avoid possible spillage of gas on the rear fender, and I get out of the station more quickly. As soon as the pump "clicks off", if the attendant is not near my car, I simply place the nozzle back in the pump, take the printed credit card receipt, wave it at the distant attendant, and drive off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey