Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 11:52 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown memory View Post
don't need it. You can feel pretty much safe throughout the entire state.
rotfl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 02:50 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Don't we still have that law on the books?
Otherwise, why would NJ still have no self-service gas stations?

Incidentally, just because you supposedly can't pump your own gas in NJ, that doesn't mean that you really can't do it yourself.
Even though I do allow the gas station employee to begin the process (many stations require entry of a code in order to start the pump), I frequently finish the process myself.

This way, I avoid having the tank overfilled (which can damage the car's expensive Onboard Vapor Recovery system), I avoid possible spillage of gas on the rear fender, and I get out of the station more quickly. As soon as the pump "clicks off", if the attendant is not near my car, I simply place the nozzle back in the pump, take the printed credit card receipt, wave it at the distant attendant, and drive off.
I spoke of it in the past since I haven't been back to New Jersey in decades. Actually I've run into the same thing in Mexico but I can't figure the litres anyway

Old 06-12-2011, 04:01 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,664,173 times
Quote:
Why should the injury matter?
Because in many cases the individual injured can't pay for the treatment then dumping it on insured individuals.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:15 PM

501 posts, read 1,430,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
rotfl.
And that's no exaggeration. Unless, you work or live in one of NJ's toughest cities (which are a minority compared to the many suburbs/rural parts of the state), then, that will be a different story.... But for most of the areas that I've been to from north to south, I feel safe.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:21 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
And that's no exaggeration. Unless, you work or live in one of NJ's toughest cities (which are a minority compared to the many suburbs/rural parts of the state), then, that will be a different story.... But for most of the areas that I've been to from north to south, I feel safe.
You can "feel" safe anywhere, if you're not very observant. But the fact is there are large parts of NJ which aren't safe. Camden, Trenton, Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Atlantic City, all have huge unsafe areas, and some unsafe suburbs as well. By area they're not such a large part of the state... by population they're quite significant.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:02 PM

501 posts, read 1,430,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
You can "feel" safe anywhere, if you're not very observant. But the fact is there are large parts of NJ which aren't safe. Camden, Trenton, Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Atlantic City, all have huge unsafe areas, and some unsafe suburbs as well. By area they're not such a large part of the state... by population they're quite significant.
From my personal experience: I've never been to Camden in my life except as a pass through on the highway. Trenton, I might have been there only once in my life and that was when I was really small. There are parts of Newark you can "feel" the vibe that it doesn't feel right and that's mainly in the residential areas. I don't often go into Newark. Mainly stick by the business areas, but if I was to visit someone in Newark, it's in the Portuguese section.

In Paterson, there are pretty okay areas to feel safe in and to even shop in. Atlantic City, you can tell just by looking at the areas, you know you shouldn't stray too much from the tourist district at night.

If you're a local, you know better. But, I wouldn't consider these cities plus Newark to take up SO much space in NJ. As you said, they're not a large part of the state. By population, yes. But for many of us not in these cities, and don't need to rely much on these cities to live/function, you can live a very peaceful life. (And as you said again, in those particular areas, you have to be observant. Outside? You can be simply calm and ok.)

Old 06-12-2011, 08:15 PM

147 posts, read 389,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
Reminds me of these quotes, as true as ever. I don't feel particularly safe in my fairly nice neighbor hood; there's still a lot of crime here. And the government has imposed so many rules, taxes, and laws, I feel distinctly unfree. E.g., you're responsible for the trees on the street in front of your where I live; if it dies, you have to replace it with at your own expense with a city-approved tree.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

"When they took the fourth amendment, I did not speak up because I had nothing to hide. When they took the fifth amendment, I didn't speak up because I knew I was innocent. When they took the second amendment, I didn't speak up because I don't own a gun. Now they are taking the first amendment, and I cannot speak up at all."
--anonymous

Old 06-13-2011, 09:27 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Don't forget about the incredibly bad, misleading road signs in NH!
On more than one occasion, after not being able to find my destination via NH's road signs, locals told me, "You can't believe those signs!".

I guess this is part of their Live Free or Die philosophy.
Living "free" apparently includes the concept of driving aimlessly with no accurate signs to guide you.
i have the same complaint about road signs in NJ, though it seems like they've been addressing this in recent years. signage is pretty poor here.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:29 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,408,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
The Mercatus Center is run by right-wing nut jobs. Notice how all the states with "less freedom" are usually blue states. Not sure why they equate regulations to freedom. I am glad that NJ doesn't allow any screw ball to own a gun, or blow smoke in my face in a restaurant. I also don't mind paying higher property taxes for excellent schools. It's still much cheaper than paying for private schools, so really our high taxes are a bargain, not to mention our much higher than average income and property values.

I do agree that NJ is a police state. Outside the big cities, there is very little crime, there is no reason for all the cops we have that just sit at their traps and pull people over for speeding or check for seat belts. And I know for a fact that cops in NJ have quotas for ticketing and arrests. Our judicial system is nothing more than a huge money maker for the players (judges and attorneys).
every person i know, from every town in america, says the same thing about the cops in their towns. heck...i got a ticket in VT for going 7 mph over the speed limit, and it was right after the speed limit signs changed. this isn't something unique to NJ.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:53 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
If you look at the areas with a low "freedom score" they are all also the highest and most densely populated states (or contain areas of extremely high population density where most of the people live). "Nanny" state laws and rules are a direct result of population density. The more people you cram into an area, the more rules and regulations you need to keep everything functioning efficiently.

If you live in Wyoming, you don't care what your neighbor does with his property as that "neighbor" might be a mile down the road. Here in NJ, that neighbor might be less than 50' or even attached to you and you start to care about the rules that govern what they can and can't do.

If you want to see "freedom" in action head down to Houston which is the only city in the U.S. with no zoning laws, zip, zero, none. They have bars next to elementary schools, strip clubs next to churches and amusement parks built in residential neighborhoods.

I am an advocate for personal freedom, but that needs to be tempered with the reality of living in a densely populated area where rules are needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey