Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 12:14 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Also, bear in mind that the facilities PAPD is working are all potential terrorist targets. Nobody's likely to blow up your local library or coffee shop, but bridges, tunnels, and airports do have to be watched more closely.

Nexis just doesn't like the NJ Transit police or PAPD because they question him when he's standing there with a video camera filming their stations and trains, lol.
While the Transit PD's tend to push us out , the Freight and Amtrak PD's tend to use the 80,000+ Rail fanners in the US. The fact that most Transit / Rail fanners spend more time next to the tracks then the cops..... I never had any major issues yet , I have gotten 2 NJT PD officers fired for overstepping there authorities..... I would say have of PD's force does do photography......so most of the time they'll leave you alone.... But there are alot of cases of bad cops attacking even the youngest of fanners , like the case last year of the 9 year old who was arrested for taking pictures in NYC. It has been legal since 2004 and its also a Freedom to take pictures , under the first amendment which many cops don't seem to acknowledge exists... The amount of $$$ that the Tax payers loose each year to lawsuits , that always goes in our favor is stunning....its already a few million in this region.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 12:30 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,001 times
Hmm, anyone know anything about NJ Transit Police? (How hard to get into and everything)

Old 09-17-2011, 12:59 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
The Star Ledger is a rag and has been anti Port Authority for years. The investigative journalist could have and should have posted all the salaries. It is public knowledge that you can get through the Asbury Park Press (so the "INVESTIGATIVE" part could have been done by a child. The reason why the lower salaries are not posted is because they don't sell papers. By the way. The officers that made the huge salaries worked huge hours. If anything, blame the Port Authority for not hiring more officers in order to lower the overtime. It's very simple. Most police agencies would rather have a smaller force and pay overtime to cover their tours. The problem is that the salaries get posted and the public that pays those salaries go wild.
There's also a website, but it's for New York, that publishes public salaries, including PA police. I think it's called seethroughny or something like that.

The guy who used to cover the PA for the Star Ledger now works for the PA in their press dept. LOL. Reporters don't really report anymore. Or investigate. And from what I see lately, they don't write all that well, either.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
While the Transit PD's tend to push us out , the Freight and Amtrak PD's tend to use the 80,000+ Rail fanners in the US. The fact that most Transit / Rail fanners spend more time next to the tracks then the cops..... I never had any major issues yet , I have gotten 2 NJT PD officers fired for overstepping there authorities..... I would say have of PD's force does do photography......so most of the time they'll leave you alone.... But there are alot of cases of bad cops attacking even the youngest of fanners , like the case last year of the 9 year old who was arrested for taking pictures in NYC. It has been legal since 2004 and its also a Freedom to take pictures , under the first amendment which many cops don't seem to acknowledge exists... The amount of $$$ that the Tax payers loose each year to lawsuits , that always goes in our favor is stunning....its already a few million in this region.....
Well, I like your videos, so just keeping doin' what your doin', Nex.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:02 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,001 times
reporters are hella biased these days, they report what they are paid to report, no such thing as independent media no matter what they try to portray

Old 09-17-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
reporters are hella biased these days, they report what they are paid to report, no such thing as independent media no matter what they try to portray
Or to promote their own special interests. The Goethals Bridge is planned to be rebuilt using a public/private method wherein private equity firms will finance the bridge, build it, and the PA will pay it back. They do this in Europe and Asia all the time. The PA also applied for a federal loan as part of the financing. Back in July this NY Post "reporter" wrote an article about how the loan was going to be lost because those types of loans were cut out of Obama's 2012 budget...but it was a crock because the loan they applied for was out of the 2010 budget. Great investigator. Anyway, it turns out the "reporter" is the author of a book about how public/private partnerships are bad and will destroy the country.

I want to work for the Post. You just get to make **** up and they'll print it. Actually, I'd like to work for the Enquirer, but the Post is a good start.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:08 PM

76 posts, read 242,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
Reporters like Kane are valuable in exposing the waste and corruption in NJ government. It's common among the police. Just recently they exposed a police chief who has a $248,000-a-year salary as Chief of Police. He also takes in $37,000 as a Board of Education security guard, for which he supposedly works 36 hours a week, but was found to be working out at the gym or doing other thing during that time.

That kind of double-dipping is common in government, especially the police--not that they're much good when they are on the job anyway.

Union City police chief earns about $36K a year as part-time school security worker in addition to $248K salary | NJ.com
Although he has a full-time, $248,000-a-year job as Union City’s police chief, Charles Everett has been raking in thousands of dollars for off-duty work for keeping tabs on the city’s pool and athletic field.

According to records obtained by The Jersey Journal through the state’s Open Public Records Act, the Board of Education paid Everett $34,770 in 2009, $36,840 in 2010, and $17,520 this year, for detail security work at the Jose Marti Athletic Field and one of the two city pools. Board of Education records did not specify which pool.

Everett began his detail work with the Board of Education in March 2008, and reportedly was paid $12,000 that year, but the Board of Education did not provide documents confirming that amount. His last day of work on the off-duty job was June 25, 2011.
Everett, who was hired as a police officer in the city in 1976 and named chief in 2004, did not return phone calls to comment.

Everett’s off-duty security work for the Board of Education was first disclosed in a report that aired on News 12 on Aug. 3.

The TV news report showed Everett working out in the police gym at times that he was also supposedly working for the school district.

Everett’s curt response to News 12: “I am not going to talk about the detail.”

In response to the story, Mayor Brian Stack announced the city would hire attorney Walter Timpone of the law firm McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney, and Carpenter, to investigate the matter.

According to Stack, Timpone began his investigation on Aug. 4. The firm is on retainer with the city.

“The investigation is proceeding,” Timpone said. “We have more interviews to do and I just can’t give you a time frame, but I’m not looking to drag it out for a long time.”

Stack spokesman Mark Albiez said the mayor will decide whether or not take action when the investigation is completed.

The Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office has also made inquiries into the matter.

“We are doing our due diligence and have made some inquiries. I wouldn’t characterize it as an investigation because when you do that it confirms there is an allegation of criminality. We are not saying that,” said Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio.

Superintendent of Schools Stanley Sanger said the Police Department is in charge of appointing personnel for the detail work at the school and he had no knowledge of the matter.

The detail work policy for off-duty officers at the UCPD was changed in 2006 to allow any officer of any rank to do off-duty work. The prior policy gave first preference to officers below the rank of sergeant.

Out of every 10 detail duties handed out, seven go to officers while three go to superior officers, according to the policy that was instituted.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:25 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,663,583 times
Quote:
I think about 25 were listed--have worked enormous amounts of overtime in their last years on the job
You might have heard about the reason for it. The World Trade Center attack. Many worked seven days a week, 16 hours a day. They have consistently felt that paying overtime is cheaper than hiring new employees.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:03 PM

147 posts, read 389,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
You might have heard about the reason for it. The World Trade Center attack. Many worked seven days a week, 16 hours a day. They have consistently felt that paying overtime is cheaper than hiring new employees.
How are they going to prevent another attack like the World Trade Center? Have they prevented ANY terrorist attacks?

Old 09-19-2011, 05:45 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
It's just a talisman. You just say "World Trade Center" or "9/11" and anything the cops do or want to do is automatically justified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey