Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 03:24 PM

831 posts, read 2,826,728 times

Advertisements

At the end of the road, it looks like this group will accomplish nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 04:33 PM

607 posts, read 958,447 times
Good take on this activity:

Unemployed Imbeciles Gather to Protest

Quote:
"An October 3rd Gateway Pundit report has listed 13 Occupy Wall Street demands and they read like an Obama-inspired wet dream. They include a universal single-payer healthcare system, guaranteed-living-wage income regardless of employment, free college education, a trillion dollars in infrastructure projects, a trillion dollars in “ecological restoration”, open-borders migration, and the immediate across-the-board debt forgiveness for all.

They are the demands of imbeciles.

You can find a lot of them camped out in lower Manhattan these days. Just wait until the nights turn cold really cold. They will go home to mommy and daddy."

Old 10-04-2011, 04:47 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,711,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJerseyGrl View Post
Exactly, forced by the Federal Government to make loans to unqualified people that in effect caused housing values to go down across the State.
This isn't 1939 Berlin.

The Federal Gov't can't force you to sign jack.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
This isn't 1939 Berlin.

The Federal Gov't can't force you to sign jack.
they dont have to hold a gun to people's heads to force someone to do something. this is the government and the other side is businesses. all government needs to do is convince businesses that the cost of additional regulation, oversight, investigations, subpoenas, bad press, etc. will hurt their bottom lines more than following through with what the government wants.

the government can also offer an implied guarantee of protection so that the banks can make lots of money and if things go sour, they can turn to the government for a bailout.

really, how do you convince banks to take on excessively risky loans? you protect them from the losses. government got us into this mess. also, fannie may not have had more than half of the subprime debt, but that had a huge chunk. when private entities see a government entity getting away with it, its basically giving the private entities a green light.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:39 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,045,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ07035 View Post
Good take on this activity:

Unemployed Imbeciles Gather to Protest
A fantastically accurate depiction of the wastes of protoplasm that are running around protesting on Wall St. The only surprise, I suppose, is that it is a Canadian describing the situation with such precision.

We had similar imbeciles wasting space on the planet in the 1960's. They were known as hippies.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermom25 View Post
My two girlfriends & I will be attending on Thurs! We will be taking the train from Chatham. We are all young Moms & hired two babysitters for Thursday. . All 3 of us live in the Chatham/Madison area are the proud alumnae of Drew University. While my hubby is an alumnus of Fordham University.

It works out perfectly because our young kids are off from school on Friday because there is a Teachers convention for Private school teachers here in Morris County.
Our hubby's will join us on Saturday since they will be working on Thurs. So will see you again on Saturday.

My hubby and I travelled to the city last weekend & met my brother who is an attorney & lives in Manhattan. We saw the Occupy Wall Street demonstration for the very first time. LIVE !

I cannot even describe the tremendous energy & passion of the people we met. It was a mix of so many young & middle aged people.

Personally, we believe that this thing is the real deal.
We've been looking for genuine change because we truly worry about the future of our kids.

We attended the Tea party rally in Morristown last year. Frankly, the atmosphere was similar to the Wall Street protest. Its was a movement also driven by anger & frustration against the state of our nation & massive loss of jobs.

But unfortunately, the Tea Party was quickly manipulated and exploited by astro-turf organizations of the Right led by Republican operatives like Dick Armey & backed by Corporate bigwigs. They turned a legitimate grassroots movement into a a manipulated and co-opted organization to direct anger at elected Democrats and neutralize any chance for real reform to happen. Instead of real reform, it became an Anti-Obama(lets take him down at all cost) , Anti-Democrat, Anti-US Government crusade. The Tea Party today is basically the Republican Party. 99% of today's active Tea Party members are also registered republicans pre-tea party and current tea party.

But there are some Major differences between OWS & Tea Party based on today's participants.

One, the overwhelming majority of tea party members are middle aged whites with majority coming from rural america. two thirds are white male, and the overwhelming majority carry a high school diploma.

While the OSW & the rallies across the country are about 80% white but 20% mix of other races. And the overwhelming majority of today's original participants are College educated.

But I predict that this will expand dramatically as mainstream working class americans from all stripes join in.

As my husband ( an Engineer) & my attorney brother both call the OSW,

"Tea Party with brains".

Two, the anger of TP was directed at the US Government, Obama, Immigrants, & Democrats.

While the OSW is directed towards Corporate Greed & Wall Street abuse.

The E generation is leading the way & has gone to the scene of the crimes committed against our future. The time has come for all people of good will to give our full-throated backing to the young people.

After all, our generation is trying to fix this mess that was created by the older generation.

No one knows what will happen next, but chances are better than even that more and more Americans will be taking an active role in making it happen. That is, after all, how politics works these days. Passions build and then burst into the public sphere. Technology provides the platform to let people self-organize, and more often then not, these people are stunned by their power once then take advantage of it. Over time, this self-awareness shifts the national debate, and then starts showing up in the polls. This dynamic is what brought the Arab Spring to the world.
You do realize that the Wall Street protestors are prob college kids or people who are unemployed. Not mommy's from Chatham looking for an afternoon off from their kids.

BTW...The older generation you're talking about gave you the freedom to protest. Never forget that.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:53 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
BTW...The older generation you're talking about gave you the freedom to protest. Never forget that.
Unless you're talking about Thomas Jefferson's generation, I don't think so.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
Quote:
99% of today's active Tea Party members are also registered republicans pre-tea party and current tea party.
its a conservative movement. you expected a bunch of conservatives to be registered democrats? the whole point is to be anti-big government. if communism is more your thing, then you will have more fun at the occupy wall street protests. you will probably find better drugs there also.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Unless you're talking about Thomas Jefferson's generation, I don't think so.
Nope, talking about what's known as the Greatest Generation....WWII.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:48 PM

112 posts, read 134,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
how exactly did the federal goverment force anyone to make loans?
Read up on the Community Reinvestment Act, banks were forced to give loans to low income risky people.

Quote:
what new regulations have been forced upon companies since the elected official in 2008?

remember, it was the 8 years of the prior elected official that resulted in one of the largest net job losses of a presidency. the elected official of 2008 has seen net job growth so far....

Massachussets has the strictist healthcare regulations for a state, and they seem to be doing fine. NJ has a whole set of other problems, related to horrible accounting principles by governors both democrat and republican over the past 2 decades.

where's money going to come to pay for healthcare? you're already paying higher premiums because doctors must provide care to those who can't pay. if more people are forced to have coverage of some sort, you actually have a chance of premiums going down.

The U.S. has no similarities to what's going on in Greece right now, because our economy is exponentially larger and more diverse than the Greek economy.
For starters look at the EPA and it's war on the Coal Industry.

As for the unemployment rate? 6 months before Bush left office it was 5%, after the crash and Bush left office a few months later it was 7%, under Obama the conservative rate is 9.1% and underemployment about 16%, but no doubt the real numbers are over 10% and 20% respectively, and the crash was caused by sub-prime mortgages.

Massachusetts Healthcare isn't doing fine at all, Medicaid has increased in Massachusetts, who do you think bears the burden of that? costs have increased, 5 years ago Medicaid spending was around 1 billion dollars, today it's almost 2 billion dollars, again, who's paying for that? and look at the subsidies that the State is paying, and of course as we see now with Obamacare, Employers are dropping coverage for their Employees, in effect people are becoming more dependent on Government.

Do you really think premiums are going to go down? my Health Insurance has seen a 16% increase every year, do you really think Horizon BCBS are all of a sudden going to say "oh your rate is going to come down now", really? Oh course they won't and to think so is very naive.

You also don't think what's happening in Greece isn't going to come here? it's already moving into parts of Europe, and if we continue on this path it will come here. One of the problems with Greece is what's going on here, they have an early retirement age, they no longer have the money to fund peoples retirement, doesn't that sound familiar? we have that happening right now in the US, we have it happening in NJ. You have public employees who when they retire not only get a pension but they get health coverage too, why do you think our property taxes are so high? the difference though between us and Greece is the revolt will come from fed-up taxpayers who don't have the luxury of the cushy retirements our public employees have, but the real problem is this, increasingly we have a class of people who feel they're owed something, they're owed a good paying job, owed a college education, and the more people who become dependent on Government the more like Greece we get.

Quote:
yeah, they've managed to steer the discussion into absolute lunacy and irresponsible decisions. if that's a success, congratulations!

the message isn't communism, the message is to address the climate that has helped create the largest wealth gap this nation has seen since the years leading up to the great depression. and look were it got us...the largest recession that the nation has seen since the great depression.

keep dreaming. the movement will grow. as it's been said many times, the higher income folks can believe whatever they want to believe, but keep kicking the class of people that make the products they sell, buy the products they sell, and truly fuel the economy...and you're going to have a group of unhappy people.

go ahead though, keep calling them lazy jobless people with no message. surely that will make it all go away.
Look at the signs, look at the message, the protesters think Communism is cool, they're against Capitalism, but the funny thing is this, if they truly understood and believed their message they'd throw away the Ipod, the Laptop, the Cellphone and so on. The movement won't grow at all because the majority of Americans, at least right now, don't believe in promoting class warfare, and besides, the first frost and the protesters will get their butts home into their cushy high income lives.

Quote:
My two girlfriends & I will be attending on Thurs! We will be taking the train from Chatham. We are all young Moms & hired two babysitters for Thursday. . All 3 of us live in the Chatham/Madison area are the proud alumnae of Drew University. While my hubby is an alumnus of Fordham University.

It works out perfectly because our young kids are off from school on Friday because there is a Teachers convention for Private school teachers here in Morris County.
Our hubby's will join us on Saturday since they will be working on Thurs. So will see you again on Saturday.

My hubby and I travelled to the city last weekend & met my brother who is an attorney & lives in Manhattan. We saw the Occupy Wall Street demonstration for the very first time. LIVE !

I cannot even describe the tremendous energy & passion of the people we met. It was a mix of so many young & middle aged people.

Personally, we believe that this thing is the real deal.
We've been looking for genuine change because we truly worry about the future of our kids.

We attended the Tea party rally in Morristown last year. Frankly, the atmosphere was similar to the Wall Street protest. Its was a movement also driven by anger & frustration against the state of our nation & massive loss of jobs.

But unfortunately, the Tea Party was quickly manipulated and exploited by astro-turf organizations of the Right led by Republican operatives like Dick Armey & backed by Corporate bigwigs. They turned a legitimate grassroots movement into a a manipulated and co-opted organization to direct anger at elected Democrats and neutralize any chance for real reform to happen. Instead of real reform, it became an Anti-Obama(lets take him down at all cost) , Anti-Democrat, Anti-US Government crusade. The Tea Party today is basically the Republican Party. 99% of today's active Tea Party members are also registered republicans pre-tea party and current tea party.

But there are some Major differences between OWS & Tea Party based on today's participants.

One, the overwhelming majority of tea party members are middle aged whites with majority coming from rural america. two thirds are white male, and the overwhelming majority carry a high school diploma.

While the OSW & the rallies across the country are about 80% white but 20% mix of other races. And the overwhelming majority of today's original participants are College educated.

But I predict that this will expand dramatically as mainstream working class americans from all stripes join in.

As my husband ( an Engineer) & my attorney brother both call the OSW,

"Tea Party with brains".

Two, the anger of TP was directed at the US Government, Obama, Immigrants, & Democrats.

While the OSW is directed towards Corporate Greed & Wall Street abuse.

The E generation is leading the way & has gone to the scene of the crimes committed against our future. The time has come for all people of good will to give our full-throated backing to the young people.

After all, our generation is trying to fix this mess that was created by the older generation.

No one knows what will happen next, but chances are better than even that more and more Americans will be taking an active role in making it happen. That is, after all, how politics works these days. Passions build and then burst into the public sphere. Technology provides the platform to let people self-organize, and more often then not, these people are stunned by their power once then take advantage of it. Over time, this self-awareness shifts the national debate, and then starts showing up in the polls. This dynamic is what brought the Arab Spring to the world.
You live in the Chatham/Madison area, seriously? Chatham/Madison? I assume you know the incomes in that area? the property values in that area? so you're basically going to go to NY and protest against yourself? The Attorney and Engineer call the Occupy Wall Street demonstration "Tea Party with brains"? have you seen the interviews? maybe pea-brains but not brains. Why do I get the feeling that your post is more sarcasm than reality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey