Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When they got closer, I saw that most of them were Asian and many of their signs were in Chinese characters.
you saw something rare. protesters that actually work for a living. during the big world bank protest, a group from my college actually gathered together in front of my fraternity house and protested us. i think people should go see these protests for themselves so they can get a good feel of the kind of people who are involved. its not your typical 9 to 5 worker with a family to support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 06:44 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Default new NYC attraction

Establishment of a new NYC attraction quite like the naked cowboy.

Visitors can now go to the city and have their photo taken with the 'wall st demonstrators' ....visitors choice of sign message for background.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:54 AM

112 posts, read 134,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
...and the people who borrowed knowing they couldn't afford it.
Exactly, forced by the Federal Government to make loans to unqualified people that in effect caused housing values to go down across the State.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LampLighter View Post
You mean the same banks and mortgage companies which were spending tons of money marketing their super low-rate mortgages for over-sized homes being sold for inflated prices to average Joes who expected the loan officers at those same banks and mortgage companies to be effective screeners?
Actually, they were forced to by the Federal Government.

Here's a video explaining some of it:

Shocking Video Unearthed Democrats in their own words Covering up the Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac Scam that caused our Economic Crisis - YouTube

Old 10-04-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Does it really matter whether individual protestors know the economics behind this? Like you said, it is mostly college kids and people in their 20s. I look at it as basically a protest that is happening because the economy sucks and these people cant find jobs.
They can't find jobs though because of an environment created by the person they voted for in 2008. Employers are scared, we have regulation upon regulation forced upon them, who wants to expand their business and hire new people when they have no idea what else is going to be forced upon them? and we haven't even gotten to healthcare yet.

New Jersey has regulations in effect as far as healthcare goes that have a lot of similarities to what Obama pushed through, what has that done for us? we have some of the highest if not the highest insurance premiums in the Country, we've driven competition out of the State because of regulations so we have fewer companies to choose from and we can't shop across State lines. I pay high property taxes in NJ, I pay for my own health insurance, when I'm up for renewal next year on my health insurance it's going to cost me twice as much as my property taxes, and Obama's "solution" to healthcare costs aren't going to help me at all, and will actually force more people to depend on the Government for their healthcare, well where's the money going to come from to pay for all this?

These protesters with their IPOD's, Laptops, and fancy Cellphones have absolutely no idea what they're protesting, to them it's just a "cool thing to do". The US isn't far behind what's going on in Greece and what's trickling into Europe right now.

Last edited by NWJerseyGrl; 10-04-2011 at 08:22 AM..

Old 10-04-2011, 08:18 AM

Default good work NWJG!

Pass that video around to everyone you know......great find to remind the voters of the failure of government watchdogs to protect the taxpayers. Great example of clueless idealog legislators who have abandoned their responsibility to represent the people they promised to protect.

If the repubs were smart they would just ressurect videos like this and air them 24/7.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 837 times
Default Calling Echo Boomers-OCCUPY New Jersey on Thursday at 2pm

For those of you who may be interested especially my generation of Echo Boomers - Join us on Thursday at 2pm in front of the Goldman Sachs building in Jersey City for OCCUPY NEW JERSEY. Or at the Trenton Annex Building in Trenton for OCCUPY NEW JERSEY.

If you are currently a College student, coordinate with your your campus Occupy NJ leaders. They will give you departure times if you wish to travel with your college group. ( ALCOHOL FREE, VIOLENCE FREE)

Join both current students & alumni in this movement.

Whether you like it or not, today's events affect your future.

We expect a volunteer group of NJ Based (fellow Echo generation ) US Marines in uniform who will join us & help organize, secure the group.

For Goldman Sachs, Jersey City OCCUPY NJ- there are official campus organizers to help you if needed in:

College of Saint Elizabeth ( Morristown campus)
Fairleigh Dickinson University-(Madison & Bergen campus)
Drew University ( Madison)
Rutgers University (Newark campus)- NJIT & Essex County Community students coordinate with Rutgers Newark
Seton Hall University ( South Orange)
Stevens Technical Institute ( Hoboken)
Caldwell College ( Caldwell)
Morris County Community College ( Morris)
Essex County Community College ( Essex)
Jersey City University ( Jersey City)
Bergen County Community College ( Bergen)
Hudson County Community College ( Jersey City)
Union County Community College

For Trenton Annex OCCUPY NJ- here is the list ( could be more but this is what I got as of Monday morning)

Princeton University ( Princeton)
Rutgers University ( New Brunswick)- Cook, Douglas & Rutgers College reps.
Rutgers University (Camden)
Rider College
Trenton State
Mercer Community College
Raritan Valley Community College
Middlesex County Community

IMPORTANT: For those who plan to stay overnight, please plan accordingly.

FM101.9 will be doing a live coverage on thursday ( for Jersey City)

-For those in Mercer County & other border PA counties, please feel free to join OCCUPY Philadelphia for their own events if more convenient for you. Both Occupy Philadephia & Occupy Pittsburg will launch this weekend.

University of Pennsylvania, University of Pittsburg, Scranton University, & Lehigh University are coordinating for the entire state.

Go Go Go! Now is the Time !

Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Default Goldman populates the treasury dept...located in DC

"For those of you who may be interested especially my generation of Echo Boomers - Join us on Thursday at 2pm in front of the Goldman Sachs building "

Don't you mean in DC in front of the treasury dept headed by Tim 'the tax cheat' Geitner and his staff of Goldman alumn?

Old 10-04-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"For those of you who may be interested especially my generation of Echo Boomers - Join us on Thursday at 2pm in front of the Goldman Sachs building "

Don't you mean in DC in front of the treasury dept headed by Tim 'the tax cheat' Geitner and his staff of Goldman alumn?
LOLOL! John Corzine's old company.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:45 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
It happened just like I said. The Occupy Wall Street organizers spread rumors about a free Radiohead show and then later blamed it on miscommunication. You know how there are people going around calling all of these people dirty, unemployed hippie college kids? Well, this is a good example of why. I know the "dirty unemployed hippie college kid" protestor is a misconception and a gross generalization. But when you have thousands of people all atwitter over Radiohead...freaking Radiohead...it doesn't help your cause. You are basically giving Occupy Wall Street skepticists more ammunition to sneer at your cause. If you even know what your cause is. And that is important: Do you* know WTF you are talking about?

(*By "you" I mean the protestors in general, not YOU, bradykp.)
so you know for a fact that the radiohead announcement was all a hoax, just to get media attention? an organized effort by the protestors, who are not organized in any way as one group, just to get publicity?

you're describing how it looks. that doesn't mean that it was intentional. maybe a rumor got out of hand, ended up on twitter, and blew up bigger than anyone ever thought of? ever play telephone in grade school?

this is not an organized effort (it's becoming one though). so i don't view it so cynically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey