Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Look at this map and you'll get a clearer vision of where the power is out and how far most of it is from the shore before you respond again. FirstEnergy Storm Center

Get a grip already, I was just saying "what if", personally I could care less what your maps show. It is a dire situation for so many but the reality of it is that it does not affect me at all.

Since this is a public forum I can and will respond any time I choose whether you like it or not. You are making way too much out of nothing. IF the situation were different and IF there was so much water in and around the gasoline station, IF one had a generator it could still NOT be used IF it was under water.

I did NOT say this situation specifically, it was a GENERAL statement. I think you need a nap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,845 times
yea, I think there legal reasons would stop them. I am sure they would need all safety equipement too. I could only image the lawsuits if a gas station blew up because it was running on a generator

Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Just FYI, most stations need a 20-30,000 watt generator at a minimum to function and some more then that depending on the number of pumps. Pumps draw a large amount of wattage to run. Typical small 1/2hp well water pumps can easily pull 3,000 watts. Larger pumps like those used at gas stations can easily draw 6,000 watts. On top of that you need to power the control and computer systems so the pumps will function and dispense gas.

A generator that size is going to be diesel and would be a permanent installation. In the southern states like Louisianna and Florida (the only two states to require generator backups at the pumps) not only do they require certain stations along evacuation routes to have generators onsite, they also require every company to maintain 1 mobile generator for every 10 stations they operate. These mobile generators are large units mounted on trailers and the stations are pre-wired to use them.

Overall, it is a very expensive undertaking to be able to provide generator power to a station, mobile, onsite or otherwise. An onsite installation of a 30kw unit could easily run $20k-$25k not counting annual maintenance costs. A mobile solution runs a little more then that and the stations still need to be wired to accept it. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to require certain stations to have backups and larger ownership/operator groups to be able to have mobile units. However, the average station owner-operator isn't going to make that kind of capital investment on their own.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
As I pointed out, they can charge up to 10% more and not violate the NJ Price Gouging law. Station owners typically make a few cents a gallon, but if they can now charge 36 cent a gallon (10% of $3.60 per gallon of gas), that's quite a jump in profits. Price gouging yes, but perfectly legal price gouging. If i was a station owner, I'd buy a generator and keep it at my house. This way I have use of it, but can still run it over to the station if I need to run the pumps in an emergency. I'm sure you can run several pumps with a portable 6kw 3 phase generator, and when those tanks are empty, move the power to other pumps.
You can't just unplug the pumps and plug them into a generator. They are hardwired.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
A portable generator needs to be installed? I'd like to see the regulations on that. Plenty of other business are up and running on portable generators, why do gas stations have special requirements?
Huh? Please restate that, because it makes no sense.

Quote:
Yes they are, BUT the Electrical Code allows Homeowners to do there own electrical work so long as it's to code. you don't NEED an electrician if you know how to do it yourself. I would imagine business owners have the same rights.
You would think VERY wrong. Most people I know can't even replace the plug on a table lamp. Really, how many have that knowledge, and do you really want the weekend hack screwing around with electrical at a GAS STATION?

Quote:
A portable generator needs to be on a poured slab? As for permits, I'm sure any town would be happy to wave the permits during an emergency that is currently occurring.
Yes, it would need to be on a poured slab. No, they aren't going to waive permits where something going wrong could blow up a 1/2 mile radius.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I got gas yesterday, the pumps were running very slowly. My tank took something over 9 gallons, and the process probably took about ten minutes. I THINK the gas station was in a section that had power and that it wasn't running off of generator power, but because all pumps were going, perhaps it was slow. I can't swear to that, though.
Was it your regular gas station? Some of them just have reaaaalllllllyyyyyy slllllooooowwwww pumps.

I agree it might have been just because they were all running full tilt that the hole system was slow.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:57 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
As I pointed out, they can charge up to 10% more and not violate the NJ Price Gouging law. Station owners typically make a few cents a gallon, but if they can now charge 36 cent a gallon (10% of $3.60 per gallon of gas), that's quite a jump in profits. Price gouging yes, but perfectly legal price gouging. If i was a station owner, I'd buy a generator and keep it at my house. This way I have use of it, but can still run it over to the station if I need to run the pumps in an emergency. I'm sure you can run several pumps with a portable 6kw 3 phase generator, and when those tanks are empty, move the power to other pumps.
and they're already charging the 10% premium - gas is currently cheaper in Pennsylvania. the people i know who own gas stations say if people don't go into the convenient store at the station and buy a soda or a candy bar, they are sometimes even losing money on the gas. so, sure...36 cents more per gallon, assuming they have no other costs due to the storm, but i'm still not sold. it's not worth the trouble for most.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:57 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Was it your regular gas station? Some of them just have reaaaalllllllyyyyyy slllllooooowwwww pumps.

I agree it might have been just because they were all running full tilt that the hole system was slow.
It's one I've gone to before. I don't really have a "regular" gas station. There are three or four in the area I use when I need gas. Because I use public transportation to get to work (normally, not for a while now, though!), I don't as a rule go through a whole lot of gas unless I have to travel for work or to visit family.

I have never in my entire life seen a gas pump go THAT slowly!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:25 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Station I worked at in MD had a generator -- big diesel job, automatic start, though it required a monkey (me) to cart fuel over from the diesel pumps to the generator. That station was at the time the busiest Exxon in MD, and lost power fairly frequently in storms, so it was worth it to the owners.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Station I worked at in MD had a generator -- big diesel job, automatic start, though it required a monkey (me) to cart fuel over from the diesel pumps to the generator. That station was at the time the busiest Exxon in MD, and lost power fairly frequently in storms, so it was worth it to the owners.
Just out of curiosity, where in MD? I'm guessing with the Green Belt or the Towson area? Inquiring minds want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey