Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 07:49 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerpotFlowers View Post
Maybe I am just difficult...but I don't know why I feel like gagging when I see that 'NJ Strong' sticker.
Is it the color that makes you gag?

Could be diagnostic of a medical condition.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:52 AM

221 posts, read 379,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Is it the color that makes you gag?

Could be diagnostic of a medical condition.

yes yes ha ha...actually, the colors are pretty 'loud' aren't they? Look at me look at me I'm JERSEY STRONG in yo face.

I met a girl (in NJ, of course) who was so in love with her boyfriend and asked me if I wanted to see a picture of him. I said ok and she pulled out her phone and showed me a picture of a guy's torso...ha, no head or anything. Just his torso...his muscular (waxed, of course) chest and his ripped abs. I just thought that was so funny.

Last edited by FlowerpotFlowers; 09-25-2013 at 08:03 AM..

Old 09-25-2013, 08:09 AM

221 posts, read 379,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerpotFlowers View Post
yes yes ha ha...actually, the colors are pretty 'loud' aren't they? Look at me look at me I'm JERSEY STRONG in yo face.

I met a girl (in NJ, of course) who was so in love with her boyfriend and asked me if I wanted to see a picture of him. I said ok and she pulled out her phone and showed me a picture of a guy's torso...ha, no head or anything. Just his torso...his muscular (waxed, of course) chest and his ripped abs. I just thought that was so funny.
I think I'm going to start asking people if they want to see a picture of my husband and pull out a penis pic. I will demonstrate it with pride. I'll purse my lips and knod my head while I show it.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:30 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,980,420 times

Old 09-25-2013, 08:53 AM

315 posts, read 564,000 times
Wow I feel like a moron.

I thought the "Jersey Strong" stickers/magnets were from WoW (work out world) gym. LOL Wow, I'm laughing really hard right now. I've seen them since before Sandy, I didn't know what that meant. I thought it was symbolic of all the meatheads that go to the gym. The stronger than the storm song does annoy me. My mom downloaded it and she plays it when she's working out to "bother me" as she says LOL

I don't hate NJ and I don't find the people "annoying". I've actually taken a great liking to my home-state, it wouldn't be the first place I'd want to live when I move out but I do love it for what it is. We have some great Nature, some great people, and great food and things to do. All states have their annoying people but not every single person from said state is annoying.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:52 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
NJ sucks...until you visit the rest of the country...

Old 09-25-2013, 10:33 AM

267 posts, read 352,186 times
it's just a Jersey Pride thing not much different than a proud to be an american sticker in some ways. And for people who lost a home or just suffered through the chaos that was Sandy and bonded together as members of communities it signifies a strength there as well. It doesnt bother me in the slightest and i truely dont get why it would bother anyone even if you hated it here. It doesnt really effect you ( did i use effect there and should have used affect? that one always gets me) It sounds like your unhappy here which is unfortuante but don't take your haterorade out on the rest of the state.

Re: WoW- Whip Em Out Wednesday, there were tons of girls who had those stickers on their cars as well. I had one on my car and my wife had one on hers. Didnt make us bad people. To quote the great Clubsoda Kenny "O and A all the way that's what I say."

Old 09-25-2013, 12:42 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
I don't know why all of you continue to feed the troll.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:09 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
I would say NJ people are more about neuroticism and following the rules of the social norm. That can be kind of annoying if you have an adventurous spirit. The "Jersey Strong" or "Jersey Fresh" campaigns really don't bother me. If people are representing them with a tattoo or a sweatshirt printed on it then I'd say that's kind of tacky and dumb. From a marketing perspective, it's whatever -- might as well give it a try considering the crap that NJ has been through over the last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
NJ is, can be, a tough place. As is the entire Metro area. It is not for everyone.

I worked with a guy in Manhattan who was from Georgia. He got eaten alive in NYC. Not necessarily because he was from Georgia, although it contributed, but because he wasn't tough enough to cut it.

You should leave as soon as possible, for your own sanity.
It's true. I work in NYC after living in LA for 5 years (and lived in Hoboken) and it ended up biting me in the ass. Thankfully I'm back in CA and working which is better than ever. Living and working in NY/NJ over the last few years just seems like a bad dream, but I have to say I am excited to come home and visit over Thanksgiving weekend.

Granted a lot of young folks only make it in NYC or Hoboken because Daddy is paying their rent and hooked them up with a job. Kind of hard to fall down when you have everything handed to you before you are 25. As for someone coming from Georgia and likely used to ATL -- ya, I can see why NYC would eat him alive. He probably had very little seeds planted in the NYC metro area.

A lot of my friends from the west say they "LOVE" NYC but I tell them if they ever moved there they would get eaten alive. It's different when you are on vacation in the metro area versus living your life there.

So yes, I guess I'm not cut out for NYC either. So be it, there are many other great cities to have a niche in

Old 09-27-2013, 01:48 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,585 times
I have a "Restore the Shore" magnet on my refrigerator. If I put it on my car is that a problem? Most of Jersey Strong and Restore the Shore stickers/tee shirts, etc were from local charities to help those who were affected by Sandy. That's why there's so many now and why I bought mine. To help support the local businesses and donate to a local charity (bought it on the boardwalk in Seaside at a small local charity store). I think that's actually pretty admirable of people that can't give a lot of money but want to give a little something and show their support.

I do have a "My kids have four paws" magnet on my car. Is that OK with you or should I remove it? Does it upset you that I may be equating my pets with children? Or perhaps I just love my rabbits and thought the magnet was cute. Same thing with the Jersey Strong stickers - most of those are people showing their support for those affected by Sandy or they were affected by Sandy and are saying they will make it through this. If you have a problem with that then I hope you do move. It's judgmental people like you that give all of us a bad name. Not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey