Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 08:01 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,410,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
What is the big deal if one has to wait for 3 minutes in the comfort of the car? Most of us wait far longer for a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Would you have complained back in January when it was 10 below zero?
it's not a "big deal". but yes, i would have complained in January as well. And my coffee is ready for me every morning when i wake up. so i don't wait at starbucks either

point is...i don't have a choice with the gas, and my experience is more often than not longer than is necessary. but when i comment on a gas thread on here, people always express disbelief that people wait. so i posted in the moment, while waiting, to show all of you folks that it does happen.

and no, i wouldn't go back to either gas station again, but if i keep crossing gas stations off my list, i'll have very few choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Typical NJ attitude, complaining about waiting a few minutes while someone pumps your gas. Yea I'm sure it was annoying but you still don't have to do it so don't whine about it. If it was that important to you then you should of pumped your own gas like everyone else does in this country.

Nothing but drama queens in NJ lol damn snookies.
I'm guessing you're not from NJ? because - it's illegal to pump your own gas in NJ. i can take the nozzle off and put it in my car, but at many stations, the attendant needs to essentially "unlock" the pump before it will pump. I've done it before in extreme situations where i was pressed for time and it was taking a while. I'd love to be freely able to do it whenever I want though.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So you took advantage of those three extra minutes to breathe deeply and meditate a bit on how you are too caught up in the rat race and ruled by the clock, I'm guessing? Good job. Heh heh heh.
honestly, it's not about the time. i love having a few minutes here and there. and i'm far from a rate race person, but i do have to pick my kids up at daycare and i respect other people's time. respecting people's time is one of my biggest pet peeves. i hate it at work, i hate it as a customer, and i hate it as a person, when people show a complete lack of respect for your time.

in the case of gasoline, i'm forced to be at the mercy of someone else's decision of whether or not to respect the customer's time.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Of course not. As someone said, this thread or its twin gets revived every month or so, and if you read them, you'll see that plenty of us prefer to have our gas pumped and manage to find gas stations that don't have these painful long lines.

Some of it is timing. If you go to the gas station before or after normal work hours, well, don't complain if there are lines. It's the same as going to the supermarket on a Saturday morning and whining because it's crowded.
but go to other states where you can pump your own and those lines aren't there even in peak times. that's precisely the point. having an attendant is inefficient. and states where it is legal to PYO, you still have Full Service stations for those folks who don't want to pump their own. in fact, many stations have a Full Service row and a Self Service row - and you can see the price difference as well.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
I think you're exaggerating, Don. At least for the majority of the "regular sized" gas stations (Luk-Oil, Sunoco, etc) that I frequent here in Southern NJ. I'm talking at most 3-4 rows with each row having 2 pumps on each side. (5-6 rows? wth? )

Hell, I went to a small BP station earlier this evening and there was a bit of a wait (just about 5 mins)...but I was chillin' with the top down on the convertible, enjoying the beautiful weather and decompressing from another work day

I have enough stress at work...not trying to create more at the gas station..lol

But I usually only see 10 or more cars on busy weekends at the large gas stations on the NJ or PA Turnpikes....but I hardly ever get gas on the Turnpike..soooo not an issue for me!

Sometimes those jumbo Wawa gas stations get busy and may see close to this kind of volume of occasion.
Wawa, Sheetz, and numerous other types of stations like Don describes exist pretty much everywhere I've been. NJ, I don't see many. Maybe because of the cost of real estate, or maybe because to have 10+pumps is senseless because you'd need at least 3 attendants to keep things moving when it's busy, and when it's not busy, you'd have at least 1 attendant too many just sitting around doing basically nothing.

When you don't have to worry about hiring enough attendants per pump though, you can put as many pumps up as you want and it keeps things moving in Self Service even more.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
It doesn't get that cold in GA, but it doesn't get that cold in NJ either. You don't have to stand outside holding the nozzle you know. Start the pump, and get back in the car until it's done.
the NJ folks who love defending this silly law love inventing scenarios that, if they even ever happen, are extremely rare. As if people never look at the weather forecast. "Oh, it's gonna be 0 degrees on saturday, maybe i'll get gas on the way home today instead of waiting til i hit E". It's that easy.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
That is the part that confuses me........what is the logic for a couple of States requiring only full service stations ? The only reason I can come up with is they feel it is somehow dangerous for regular people to pump gas , and if that is true it is goofy logic. I don't even KNOW of a full service gas station here in Florida (or anywhere else except for the two States mentioned) and somehow even little old ladies are capable of doing it with no problems.

What do you Jerseyites do when you go on vacation to Florida (and we get LOTS of you here every Winter).........where you have to pump gas yourself ? As for the cold weather thing, yep, I can see where that might be uncomfortable. I flew into Little Falls, Mn one January and had to put gas in my rental car. It was about zero and it felt like it took a week to put the gas in.

Don
decades ago, pumps weren't as safe as they are today, with numerous failsafes and auto-shutoffs and even if you pull away with the hose attached it just pops off, no biggie. but NJ and Oregon have chosen to keep the silly laws, and usually people claim the law helps create jobs.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
how many minutes might lord brady have to wait if the attendant took the time to clean your windshield!?
if the attendants cleaned the windshiled, checked oil, and other fluids, i would actually enjoy the Full Service experience. in fact, it's a complete misnomer to call NJ gas service "Full Service"

And i'd rather be a Lord than a Captain.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Yes, that is the best part. Our gas is cheap. Yet we have attendants. It really is win-win!
our gas is cheaper because of the gas tax, but there are plenty of areas in PA where the gas is the same price as pretty much the cheapest NJ areas. So, our gas could be even cheaper, if you think about it.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
When it's 15 degrees outside with a stiff wind, it feels a lot colder. You can find nozzles which lock? I guess it's just my bad luck that most of them that I use have either been disabled or are broken.
if the nozzle doesn't lock, just wedge your gas cap into the handle and it keeps the trigger pressed. things people from outside of NJ know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey