Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:20 PM

51 posts, read 200,537 times

Advertisements

I have sold 2 houses in the past by myself and 1 through a realtor. The only time I have had any problems was when the realtor was selling my house. I never was able to speak to the buyers and the realtors just go back and forth with each other and make things more complicated.

When I sell my current house, I am going back to selling it myself using the MLS and a sign on my lawn! I realize it will take longer this time because of the glut of homes on the market, but house values have stayed strong in my neighborhood and a nice house priced right WILL SELL ITSELF!

Old 02-25-2008, 07:08 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,943,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crna06 View Post
I have sold 2 houses in the past by myself and 1 through a realtor. The only time I have had any problems was when the realtor was selling my house. I never was able to speak to the buyers and the realtors just go back and forth with each other and make things more complicated.

When I sell my current house, I am going back to selling it myself using the MLS and a sign on my lawn! I realize it will take longer this time because of the glut of homes on the market, but house values have stayed strong in my neighborhood and a nice house priced right WILL SELL ITSELF!
If your Realtor made it more complicated, that Realtor did something wrong. Is it possible that this transaction happened to be more complicated for some reason?
Quick question; for what did you want to talk to the buyers? You hired a Realtor to deal with the details of selling your house. You shouldn't need to talk to the buyers, in most cases. was there a particular issue that you felt you were better able to handle than the Realtor?
And yes, of course the house will sell itself. The job of the marketing real estate agent is not so much to SELL the house, as to MARKET the house. THere's a world of difference between the two. If & when you ever look to hire a marketing agent for your real estate, you should aske them to speak about that diffrernce. If they can't, you probably shouldn't hire them.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:05 AM

51 posts, read 200,537 times
For one thing, when speaking with potential buyers, I can answer questions they have about the house, neighborhood, neighbors etc. Most agents given generic BS answers and do not know many actual details about a property.

Also, some buyers have concerns which can be easily alleviated of they could talk with the owner. By the time they speak with their realtor, who speaks with the selling realtor and then the owner and back through all the middle men again, information gets lost or construed.

So if a realtor does not work as hard to SELL but earns the 6% for MARKETING, what is involved in that marketing process? Most homes will be sold my merely being placed in the MLS where buyers agents are looking for their clients. An MLS listing also causes the house to pop up on most the more popular home search engines. Others are sold with a sign on the lawn.

Newspaper, magazine adds and open houses have a low success rate for marketing homes and benefit agents more than a seller.

I am not a real estate agent so I can't say I know all details, there maybe some inside marketing trick that they know that magically sells homes. I doubt it.

Now that said, I think having an agent on the buying end is very helpful if you have one looking out for your best interests. Even when I have sold myself, I have used a buyers agent to help in finding a new house, especially with long distance moves. The work I have seen buyers agents do, I can justify the money they make on commission. Of course, this is just my opinion

Old 02-26-2008, 11:08 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,520,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crna06 View Post

Amen, sold my house myself after dealing with dopey realtors for months. Never again. Plus I saved $17K in commission.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:14 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,943,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Amen, sold my house myself after dealing with dopey realtors for months. Never again. Plus I saved $17K in commission.
Perhaps, if you had worked with a GOOD Realtor, instead of a dopey one, you would have done better, and worked less on it yourself. Truly, we'll never know.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:26 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,520,412 times
One was a top producer in the Weichert Moorestown office, one was an agent that lived in my neighborhood. Never again, not worth it. I know there are good agents but I don't need an agent on the sale side. Even when buying I know more about the area/issues than the agent.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:54 AM

3 posts, read 8,223 times
My father's estate just sold lat week under FHA for $144,420.00 and the realtor charged a commission fee of $10,664.20!

Old 12-22-2010, 06:15 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjloew View Post
My father's estate just sold lat week under FHA for $144,420.00 and the realtor charged a commission fee of $10,664.20!
They don't get to just make up the number at the end. The estate must have agreed to this before hand. You should probably take this up with the executor of the estate and find out why they agreed to that.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:21 AM

Thank you.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:38 AM

My dad's girlfriend was the executrix and her brother the realtor. I suppose that may be why the hugh commission. She's even sucking her "sugar daddy" dry out of the grave... Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey