Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:46 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
I agree with every positive assessment you have made about NJ. I've lived here my entire life and LOVE IT for all the reasons you mention. I've always thought NJ got a bad rap that it didn't deserve. I'd love to stay! Problem is, I just can't afford to. The price of everything has gone up to the point where something has to give. The $8,000/year property taxes we're paying have always been a burden, but they become an unbearable burden now because so much of our income is going to food, and fuel and the other necessities that we have about nothing left after we pay for necessities. What good is living in a place where you have all these great things at your fingertips when you can't afford to visit them because you have no recreation money left after you pay for the necessities.

Something has to give and for us, it's property taxes. We can't very well give up groceries.
Very well put! Unfortunately you'll need to continue paying those high property taxes, because the unions and politicians in New Jersey need them to "survive". We got some new neighbors last week...and lo and behold...they're from NJ. (What a surprise.) They moved to NC to retire "young". He was a former teacher in NoNew Jersey, took an early retirement package at 55. His wife worked for the municipal offices in the town that they are from...ready to spend their pension...not in NJ, but North Carolina!!!
They are very nice people and I say: let them do what they want with their pension, they deserve it...but those living in NJ are still paying for it and the money isn't going BACK INTO the state. Go figure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 07:03 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
No, it's not the same everywhere.

Again, NJ's level and costs of corruption are unparalleled in most, if not all, other states. The US attorney's office will back that up.

Factor in the inordinate amount of influence the public unions and urban machines have over the entire state, you end up where we are now.
And, we are in bad, I mean real bad, fiscal shape.

When retired (and not retired unfortunately) literally have to leave their home state just because of the costs associated with running it, something is dreadfully wrong.

Things like tasty hot-dogs and allowing gays to get married don't pay the bills and a big part of grownup life is about paying bills.

I'm one of the fortunate ones. I can afford to live here, in the style that I deem acceptable, as long as I'm working.

But many cannot, as shown by their leaving, and that's terrible.
NJ's voting habits don't indicate any real desire to change things so it's understandable that people will venture out for newer, different and possibly better pastures.

Hey, it could be worse. At least they can leave unlike, say, Cubans.
Nah...I'd say we are a step ahead or at least nose to nose with Louisiana

Old 03-20-2008, 08:59 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I lived there for over 35 years and it was time to move on and plan on retirement. I wish you would sell your overpriced shack in NJ and move permanently to your shack in Florida. This way you could annoy everyone with your holier than god, better than everyone attitude on the boards in the Jacksonville Forum instead of the NJ forum. Now that's one house I wish would sell in NJ. You preached about location,location,location I guess the location of your home in NJ wasn't on a road map for buyers to find.
sucks to be you, eh?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:11 AM

5 posts, read 14,153 times
I love my State of NJ and I am not going anywhere. I just keep hustling and making do with what I earn and what I have. New Jersey has my full support!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:11 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
sucks to be you, eh?
You know, every once in a while, when you aren't ranting or just trying to be a contrarian, you get in a good point or two. If you adjusted your level of ridiculousness, you might get some more pleasant responses.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:33 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,967,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
You know, every once in a while, when you aren't ranting or just trying to be a contrarian, you get in a good point or two. If you adjusted your level of ridiculousness, you might get some more pleasant responses.
that feller has a problem, he once insulted every small town cop in NJ and I took exception to his big city snobbery, every since he's been obnoxious as possible.
I have opinions, and you and many others may not agree with them, and differences of opinion are ok, but insulting demeaning remarks are over the line and I am surprised that they haven't been noted

Old 03-20-2008, 09:51 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Talk about calling the kettle black.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:05 AM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Do I have to referee here? Anybody need a testosterone-busting hug?!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:42 AM

16 posts, read 49,914 times
Most people around the country have no idea how deverse and how much this state has to offer over living someplace eles. When I was in LA visiting last yr most of the people think of NJ as being anything eles then what they see travaling from Newark airport to NYC. They just did'nt believe me when I told them that New Jersey is still 65% either Forests or Farmlands! I love loving here.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:21 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
that feller has a problem, he once insulted every small town cop in NJ and I took exception to his big city snobbery, every since he's been obnoxious as possible.
I have opinions, and you and many others may not agree with them, and differences of opinion are ok, but insulting demeaning remarks are over the line and I am surprised that they haven't been noted
Frankly, you've been quite insulting to several posters on this board, on quite a few occassions. So stop throwing stones.
Some of your posts are spot on and informative, but you could tone down the "$crew you, if you don't like my opinion" approach, JMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey